1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The quiet joy of Hybrid operation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by The Electric Me, Dec 27, 2013.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A few weeks ago, I was unfortunately/fortunately having some work done on my Prius, so for two days I was driving a Toyota Corolla.

Now The Corolla really wasn't a bad vehicle. Felt really solid, nice acceleration, decent gas mileage, if I wanted just an all purpose work horse of a transportation vehicle that I would think could last a decade or longer? I'd look at a Corolla.

But you get use to driving a hybrid don't you?

I found myself annoyed that The Corolla was constantly running. I'm at red stop lights, wondering why the engine is running. I'm at a stop, looking out the back window and embarrassed by the exhaust visible out the back.

When I accelerate from a stop? The instant ICE to regular transmission torque seemed jarring and unrefined. Heathen like. I'm missing the electric motor start, and the eCVT smooth transmission of The Prius.

I would say the Corolla was actually pretty well sound insulated. For it's size, and in comparison to other ICE vehicles pretty quiet. But it sounded loud to me. I found myself listening to the engine tone change at the automatic transmission shift points and I'm wondering "Why?".

People use the term "Fun to Drive" and I think that's a valid reality. But I think we can expand and change what we perceive or accept as "Fun to Drive". I can tell you....after two days of regular ICE Corolla Driving...I was ready for the "Fun" of my seemingly so much more civilized and refined Prius.

I would say, that represents a change in me. I've come to recognize and enjoy the quiet joy of Hybrid Operation.

Robert Holt and vday like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, wait until you make your way into a plug in. it just get's funner and funner! more juice, less petrol. you back out of the garage, no ice! start down the street, no ice! the fun is just beginning!:p i get a kick out of people here who can't wait until honda or vdub has a great hybrid so they can get back into a car that's 'fun to drive'. to each his own!(y)

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I sometimes get annoyed when the ICE fires up on the PIP now....
    Luckily, most of my weekend trips are less than 12 miles round trip- so I can go most weekends without the ICE ever firing up at all. It's a nice feeling knowing you can go a couple of days using 0.0 gal of gas....
    It's almost at the point where once you drive the PIP- even hybrid's seem primitive.
    If Toyota had some balls- they'd only make PIP's!

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your situation I think is somewhat unique as most people on weekends go more than 12 miles.

The second P in PiP stands for Prius, so technically your PiP is a hybrid. Just one that can go farther on pure electric and be plugged in for battery recharging. Not an insignificant difference. Yeah, I'm a little jealous.

I'll be somewhat defensive in saying for me? I think I'd like a Plug In Prius, but I live in an apartment where recharging and plugging in would at least be problematic. It's not really an option for me.

So I left with enjoying my hybrid that I have the convenience of NOT having to plug in. Therefore, I want Toyota to keep their support and commitment to Hybrids....not all of us, at least at this point of infrastructure support can plug in, even if we wanted to do so.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had 8 years of regular prius and enjoyed every minute of it. i am also fortunate to have a lot of short trips and can plug in at home and work. but to your point about being fun to drive, it's more video game like, than race car, which is what many americans appreciate. trying to keep the ice off is my goal now, but on my gen II's it was all about mpg's!

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    While my PiP was in the body shop, my rental was a 2014 Impala. Nice car, but I was getting annoyed watching the fuel gauge move. ;)

retired4999 likes this.
  7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My total weekend mileage from Friday night to Sunday night is usually in the 50 mile range- but it's not one 50 mile long trip or even two 25 mile long trips. It's usually a bunch of local 5-6 mile hops and maybe a 12 mile one thrown in there. My weekend driving pattern is actually the reason I traded in my 2012 Five for the PIP. Those 5 mile short hops in the Prius during the winter were absolutely killing my overall mpg.... now I don't even think about short trip mpg.
    The fact that I have a free ChargePoint station across the parking lot at work 5 days a week helped me decide too ;)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar experience this past summer. I rented a Mazda3 GS sedan from LAX to Riverside, CA for ToGoBefore. While stuck in LA traffic, the A/C decided to reduce output and I was stuck with a warm cabin until I was able to go faster than crawl speed and get the engine rpm up higher; only then could I feel the cold air come through the cabin. I had the climate control dial (manual) set to MAX A/C. Odd. Anyway, like you said, it's something you appreciate in a hybrid (electric A/C so it's running all the time) and that you don't notice until it goes away.

9. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I was hit by an illegal with no insurance, my insurance company gave me a Corolla. Pissed me off. A Corolla is not an equivalent vehicle. If you walk up to a rental counter and have a Corolla waiting for you and want a Prius, they tell you it's an upgrade and quote double the rental rate. Looks like I'm not the only one who got stuck with a Corolla. Loved my Matrix before trading it in for a Prius. A base rental Corolla isn't even close to either vehicle.