1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Ray - sustainable highway incubator in Georgia

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by marlinsmobile, Oct 10, 2017.

1. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At my office, we have a series of lunch-and-learns on innovation in a variety of industries. Today's interesting presentation was from the team at The Ray, a 16-mile stretch of I-85 in western Georgia that is used as an incubator for sustainable highway tech.

"The team behind the project envisions The Ray, as the organizers call this stretch of road, to be a living laboratory for highways of the future. Working with innovation consultants and the Georgia Department of Transportation, they’re testing a mix of high- and low-tech solutions that could potentially make highways smarter, greener, and safer. The team hopes to make The Ray the first road—but not the last—to be 'zero-carbon, zero-deaths, zero-waste, zero-impact.' The organizers call it Mission Zero."
    -- Unlocking the Hidden Power of a Highway

Some of the features installed so far (at a visitor's center near the Georgia/Alabama line):
    The team is also exploring options for solar generation from highway noise barriers and roadside wind turbines.

One of the interesting points made in the presentation was that we expect all of our devices to multi-task, while thousands of miles of highway (plus additional land for right-of-way and large walls of noise barriers) just sit there.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's very progressive!(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And a great name(y)!

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can call me sunny.:cool:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You can call me early to dinner

From a quick read, this setup in Georgia appears to be funded by hyundai-kia?
    I just checked out the solar car chargers;
    [​IMG]
    Well, it's a start.

Georgia used to dole out $5,000 incentives for plugins, but the legislators pull the plug on it. Shame they're still not going forward wit that. Any idea why?

#5 hill, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    change in leadership?

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Found this;

Face This Prospect: The End of Electric Car Incentives | PluginCars.com

Maybe the Honda dealer guy will rethink it once he gets a few plugins in stock.

Trollbait and pilotgrrl like this.
  8. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, in addition to personal interests, they were looking for transportation budget $$$, and the EV credit was an easy target. Many EV buyers in Georgia were taking advantage of the federal + state credits, which made a two-year lease on a Leaf nearly-free. State lawmakers weren't interested in continuing to subsidize vehicle ownership, especially vehicles that would further reduce (gas) tax collection. In fact, to add insult to injury, at the same time that we lost the credit, a $200/yr EV registration fee was added :mad:

We also have a strong urban-vs.-rural dichotomy in Georgia, which is sometimes viewed as Atlanta vs. "everyone else in the state." State lawmakers that represent areas outside of Atlanta fiercely oppose anything that appears to be Atlanta/city-centric.

Although EV sales in Georgia have plummeted, it will be interesting to see how EV ownership rates change over time. A guy in my office did the math on a Leaf before the credit expired, realized it would be practically free to drive (we have several free charging stations on our campus), so dozens of colleagues bought Leafs in 2014-2015 before the credit ended. About 90% of the Leaf owners that I know got into an EV because it was an almost-free car; no one cared about the environmental benefits. As they're coming off-lease now, I hear that most of them are getting pretty great buyout deals from Nissan (given the glut of off-lease Leafs available nationwide). I think the cheap buyouts might be keeping a lot of people in EVs (who normally would have switched back to a traditional ICE).

#8 marlinsmobile, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    m.wynn and pilotgrrl like this.
  9. 1. It's going to be crazy expensive to solarize the whole highway system. How much is a small section of one highway?
    2. How is this going to be useful during the long winter nights?
    3. Ever try to drive on glass?
    4. Can these cells heat up to melt road ice?