1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Real Test Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusTouring07, Jul 16, 2007.

1. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

So I got the 07 Prius (as base as it gets) from Hertz and now it's sitting in my driveway.

1) Feels like The Jetsons! I love the futuristic feeling, like you are in a space ship or something. All that glass all around it and all the tiny extra windows - nice touch! Most impressed with the windshield.

2) I am already starting to increase the average MPG from the last guy who's rented it. The car has only 440 miles. The average MPG shows at 32.
    I've had the A/C the entire time at Medium fan and Max Cold. Driving both on surface streets and freeway and within a few minutes already got the average to 35 and I know I can get it to a lot more on my next drive, which I'm taking right now.

3) The A/C is great even at 110F.

4) Good enough handling, the upgraded Touring must be even better!

5) Good enough accerelation. Not crazy about the delay when flooring it, but you get that with many other automatic cars as well. You get it even with the 300C HEMI, so no biggie!

Going to the Mountain now to see how it does going uphill with the A/C on and 110F outside temp.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a Prius.

More updates later.

Al

P.S. On my way to picking up the Prius, I was riding my 250CC Kawasaki Ninja with very strong wind, going slightly uphill, I was trying to keep up with a white Prius doing 95 mph. Not bad, Prius! Though I wonder what his MPG would be at that speed. I might just find out in a few minutes ;-)

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keep us posted, Al, and eventually, "welcome to the fold!"

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Push the Reset screen button on the Consumption screen so you can see what MPG YOU get. And try the Air Conditioning on Auto with a cabin temp setting of 72°. The AC works best automatically.

Have fun!

4. PriusTouring07

Thanks for the tips. Will do.

It handled the mountain very well. Had the A/C on MID/MAX, it was in the 110F, going up very steep hill, no overheating issues and I was able to pass a few slower cars, no problem.
    At the very steepest uphill, it was showing 13 to 20 mpg and the battery was showing One bar left. Then when it wasn't as steep it was doing about 25 to 35 mpg. The good thing about going up, is that you eventually have to come down and the coming down part makes up for it more than handsomely. It was recharching the entire trip down and was showing 99.9mpg. So with all this I was still able to bring up the previous guy's average from 32 to 40 in a few short miles!
    Now that I know how to reset it, I will and I'll know exactly what MY mpg is.

The thing I love about this car is that it makes you drive responsibly. I'm used to driving sports cars and I'm always exceeding the speed limit and driving like a maniac, but I feel no need for it in the Prius and even on the contrary, I drive very conservatively and I ENJOY it because I'm seeing how much higher I get the MPG driving that way. It feels like a game with your goal to get as high the MPG as possible.

Oh and I did take it to the limit 105 mph, just to test it. It got to 105 pretty quick. The MPG was showing at that speed 23 mpg.

Going on a 5 hour trip to Utah tomorrow. So I'll be posting more updates.

Al

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am not seeing much of a hit at all for running the AC at highway speeds and some city driving. I got my average for about 1/2 tank up to 52, and was afraid to run the AC, but also worried if the batteries were as happy as me, sweating with the iwndows down. Then on Saturday, the whole family took a quick jont over to Gresham, and my wife just reached over and turned on the AC without even asking for my opinion either.

I thought, "Oh well, I can always reset it and start again." To my surprise, the mileage only dropped from about 51.8 to 51.4.

I am not seeing much of a hit for short trips either. Right now, my goal for each trip has been to end it somewhere between 51 and 52 MPG. No problems when my wife takes it out either. I have not given her any special driving instructions, and she wouldn't be interrested, but she never takes it down more than 1/2 MPG either. She is a conservative driver.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Al, one thing I noticed by its absence is the shift kick. Since the car's speed goes up and down so smoothly, you never feel the shift of gears. I think that adds to the zen of Prius driving. Effortless cruising...

The only downside of not feeling a shift kick is you have to pay attention to the speedometer; it's easy to go fast and never notice how you got there.

7. kd5yig

kd5yig New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 17 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]480097[/snapback]</div>

I'll second that. I've looked down many times in the last 6 months and been surprised at how fast I was going. Nothing like my old jeep where I could judge how fast I was going by the wind speed.

8. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 17 2007, 01:15 AM) [snapback]480074[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes: !

9. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 17 2007, 01:15 AM) [snapback]480074[/snapback]</div>
    In all the comments and calculations about ownership of a Prius, this is the one factor that is often overlooked. Not JUST the fact that it encourages the driver to drive it responsibly, but the consequence to the driver of finding the process of getting from one place to another with rather less stress and in much less of a sense of competition with the rest of the traffic. It's a very relaxing car to drive in comparison with just about everything else. It has plenty of power to keep up with the fast and furious, so unlike other economy cars it's not revving itself apart just to overtake a pedestrian, but the feedback from the display and the smoothness of the transmission help you unleash that power only when it's really needed, instead of every time a light turns green or the guy in front speeds up.

It's impossible to put a value on the lowered stress and the ability to reclaim the art of getting from A to B as a pleasurable experience rather than an aggressive contest with no real winner!

10. PriusTouring07

Came back from my Vegas-Arizona-Utah-Arizona-Vegas trip.

50 mpg average. About 600 miles with 1 gas tank. Lots of mountains, it handled them beautifully, no issues at all. I agree with the few people who said they don't see much difference whether you have the A/C or not! Half the trip I had the A/C on, the other I didn't (didn't need it in Utah) and I got pretty much the exact same mpg both ways.

So 50 mpg Highway, makes me a happy man!

Testing City tomorrow. I'm sure I can get 60 or more easily. I'll post results.

Now I'm sure I'm buying a Prius. It's just a matter of when I'll find a really good deal. Hopefully with the 08s coming soon, dealers will be more inclined to give me a great deal on a new 07.

11. PriusTouring07

This is the beast I rented:

[​IMG]

That's in Zion National Park, Utah

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 19 2007, 01:23 AM) [snapback]481471[/snapback]</div>
    I have a black Prius Touring edition with a set of Motegi forged wheels that have the spun/polished rim with anthracite spokes. The combination of the wheels with the black exterior is really sharp. The lighter weight of the wheels makes for better mileage - which makes the opportunity to give the middle-fingered salute to the oil companies... priceless!

Hope you find a Prius that is equipped & priced the way you want soon. They really are neat cars!

13. PriusTouring07

OK, so I'm back from my City test. Here are the rounded up results (A/C used the entire time - no other way in Vegas):

1) Bad Traffic (Surface Streets Only): 35 mpg

2) Normal Traffic (Surface Streets Only): 45 mpg

2) Good Traffic (Surface Streets Only): 50 mpg

3) Freeway with good traffic: 55 mpg

4) Combined a little bit of Surface Streets and more of Freeway (which is my normal commmute): 50 mpg

Bottom line:

With some easy calculations it appears my life-time average MPG with the 07 Prius will be around 50 mpg. That's when I combine normal commute, once in awhile mountain climbing, going on long trips, short trips to the grocery store, etc.

I've no idea how you can do 60 mpg in the city, and I've really no clue how some get 70 and 80 and that doesn't matter much, because 50 mpg is GREAT and makes me a very happy man!

I guess I'll buy the 07 Prius, as it appears next generation won't come for another year or two. The money I'll save from gas would make up for the loss of resale value in a couple of years when I have to sell it and get the new generation one, so the loss will be minimal.

14. Jaqueh2

Jaqueh2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 16 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]480077[/snapback]</div>
    Guys the A/C thing is an absolute myth because the A/C can still run on full blast while in EV mode. The only time when the gas is going to be used for the A/C is kind of a cause-effect thing when the battery is running low. But other than that the A/C is taken fully from electric.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 19 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]481926[/snapback]</div>
    you can get 60mpg quite easily if you live in a ghost town. So move there and you'll see those advertised numbers. Yea 50-55 is great. Better than any other car out there. Just not as good as the god EPA prius!

15. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great post. Thanks to your idea of renting out a Prius to see just how 'liveable' it is, I checked with one of the local Toyota dealers and they actually have a few demo 2007 Prius's that are set aside for 'overnight' test drives to see if you actually like the car. So I pick mine up this Saturday afternoon.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 19 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]481926[/snapback]</div>
    If you can get 50mpg driving normally, then you should be able to get 60mpg with some techniques (like P&G).

17. PriusTouring07

Tomorrow's test is going to be very interesting! Doing a trip through all of Death Valley at 122F......... 9 hour trip.
    If I never come back to this forum, you can take a guess what has happened with the car and me LOL

18. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    if u drive at 45-50 mph for at least 30 miles without slowing down/stopping on fairly flat road, then you should easily get 60-70 mpg.

19. PriusTouring07

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nark @ Jul 20 2007, 01:07 AM) [snapback]482076[/snapback]</div>

I can try this tomorrow on my way to Death Valley. Thanks.

20. PriusTouring07

Back from Death Valley. Must admit, was a bit nervous driving a car for 9 hours through Death Valley in the insane heat with no other cars or living beings anywhere in sight, but we made it! The car did beautifully!
    Driving 45-50 mph for 25 miles on a flat road did get the mpg to a lil over 60 mpg. Then going down the Valley the MPG got to 80 mpg average for 50 miles driven, but of course it dropped down when I had to climb up the hill.
    All and all, it did 50 mpg average on the entire trip, which is what I expected.

Found THE exact prius I want, color, options and all for MSRP ($28K, 07 Touring #6, seaside pearl) in San Fran, but knowing a few people have paid way below MSRP makes me not wanting to buy at that price. Waiting to hear from the dealer if he'd drop down the price a bit. With the 08s coming up soon, it only makes sense they'd drop the price.

Oh and my week long test drive is over in a few hours :-(