1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Red Baron has arrived

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by booke02, Jul 11, 2016.

1. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I picked up my new Prius, aka the Red Baron - Hypersonic Red. I never saw the color before I bought car, but I really love it. I had a 150 km cruise home from the dealer to notice a few things about the car.

Noticeably much quieter – less road (tyre) noise and less wind noise. And a more comfortable ride – seems much smoother. You feel that you are sitting lower, but I corrected that after I pumped the seat up higher. I was surprised when I topped up the tank to find that I had 1350 km DTE – my 2010 Prius never showed more than 850 km DTE. Although I drove in ECO mode, I felt that the engine was much more responsive. Overall, I think that they have made a nice job of the upgrade from Gen 3 to Gen 4

There is only one model sold in this country, so there are no choices as far as options go. If you buy red (as I did) you can only get black interior. The car comes standard with 15” Yokohamas, cruise control, speed limiter, seat warmers, split control for climate control (driver and passenger can each set separate temperature levels), heated front seats (really necessary in our hot climate!), Toyota Touch (without navigation), reverse camera, touch lock/unlock from both front doors, HUD, automatically folding side mirrors, full-size spare, TPMS on all 5 tyres, automatic driving lights, fog lamps, LED DRL, ant-glare rear-vision mirror, courtesy light in the baggage area, lane deviation warning system, and system for warning when the car in front is less than 0.5 seconds in front of you.

I added an Android-based navigation unit (which plugs into the back of the Toyota Touch) so I have Waze as my navigation system.

Overall, a happy chappy.

DonD, KimPrius3, sttkailua and 7 others like this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations! Enjoy your ride.

booke02 likes this.
  3. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Nice! Welcome to the Gen 4 club! Well appointed vehicle you have there. Enjoy!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! nice write, please keep us posted, and pics, i love red! i like the tpms on the spare, thats a nice feature. all the best.(y)

5. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations!
    You got one of the nicest color combinations available. :)

Happy driving!

booke02 likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Enjoy the new Prius. It really is quite a step up.

7. sttkailua

sttkailua Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Red Baron,

Nice color choice!

Happy driving!

stt

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The seat heaters are really a odd choice for Israel's average weather...
    As for the DTE - I have my doubts - I have started mapping its values and my tank's average fuel consumption (I am at my second tank) and for the first tank it was showing DTE based on 3,0L/100km and then slowly changed to about the Trip A (tank) value of 4. The second tank it seems to do about the same. I need more data.
    It also seems it calculated the DTE based on 43L (full tank) with *no reserve*. The fuel light should go off instead at 6.4L left in the tank. Let's see when it goes off on mine (I fuelled up before hand on my first tank).

9. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Nice...

My wife calls our new 2016 Prius v Three - Absolutely Red color, the 'Crimson Comet'...LOL...

10. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, even the dealer smiled when he highlighted the feature.

11. GREEN BAE

GREEN BAE Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    congratulations I also like the red seeing as I have that one. here in Florida we get heated side mirrors.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That can be helpful if you get out a colder garage, and hit outside humid air....maybe??
    I use them here to defrost them in winter below 0C..... ;)

13. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had them on a small KIA a decade ago, wonderful on a foggy night - they'd come on with the heated rear-window. I missed them on my next 2 cars.

14. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would love to know more about this and see some photos. I find that even though I have Toyota's navigation with traffic, Waze still finds the fastest route for me.

15. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am afraid you wouldn't learn much from photos!

I haven't looked (my wife would probably kill me if I started to pull out the Toyota Touch screen to dig around) but I understand that there is a unit that clips on the back of the basic Toyota Touch that adds android and GPS capability. And, of course, it has a SIM slot, which Waze needs for receiving (and sending!) real-time information about routes, congestion, etc.

From the front it is the standard Toyota Touch. Press the little button, and you get an Android home screen with a couple of applications - Waze and a local pay-for-parking app. So you just press on the Waze icon, and you have the same Waze that you can get on any mobile device. There is nothing different from Waze that I have on my phone. Works exactly the same - but no lagging.

16. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    do you know the name of the device that you had installed?

17. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I can't help you. I have no idea what unit they installed. They are treating it as a national secret. They did it such a way that I only get a screen with the Waze icon. I have no access to Android, PlayStore, or anything like that. I will have to do some research to figure out how to break into the system - but that won't be in the next few days!

bisco likes this.
  18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and Welcome Aboard!!

May your car stay in service longer than its namesake! :)
    ....unless that is, you're a particular fan of frozen pizza! :p

All the best!

19. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The name was in the context of Snoopy and the Red Baron.

"Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen, also widely known as the Red Baron, was a German fighter pilot with the Imperial German Army Air Service during the First World War. He is considered the ace-of-aces of the war, being officially credited with 80 air combat victories."

The Royal Guardsmen – The Story of Snoopy vs. the Red Baron Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well to be fair, TMS doesn't know if you'll be road tripping to NYC or St. Paul in the middle of winter. Also, it doesn't know if that car will end up in the north or south. It also makes it easier to sell as a second hand car if it already comes with equipment like that.

Just keep in mind that European headunits are different than North America (different maps and user interface).

pakitt likes this.