1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The slide continues - Prius sales down 55% in March

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius sales slide continued in March as sales were down 55% compared to March 2008. According to Toyota's sales figures, the Prius mid-size gas-electric hybrid posted March sales of 8,924 units. While this is 55% lower than March 2008's 20,635 sales, it is important to note that it is an increase of about 1,700 over February's sales. However, if you keep looking at the numbers you'll quickly see that in 2008, sales doubled between February and March. You can blame the economy, but you also have to blame gas prices. Last March, the average price for a gallon of gas was $3.29. This March, the average price was $2.05. Toyota Reports March Sales

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think you can also blame new model syndrome.

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any idea how this compares to sales of Camry, HyCam, Civic, HCH, Accord, etc.?

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    6,992 is all that GM sold for Two-Mode hybrids combined for the entire year.

8,924 from that perspective, for just one hybrid for just one month, is pretty good.

6. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Told you so!!!111!! :flame:
    *speeds off in Hummer with tires squealing*

/AFs

7. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You hit it right on the head. The thing is, how many "average" consumers are aware of the brand new model being released? It really has not been in the mainstream news that much.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, I just finished a deal selling my '04 to a taxi operator. Rather than wait for a 2010, I should see what sweet '09 deals are out there ...

9. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Page was loading slower than a dead cat for me. Try this cached URL instead if you're having the same problem:
    Pressroom : Toyota Reports March Sales / Toyota

Frankly, looking at the Prius numbers alone can't say much without comparing them to the rest of the industry. I suspect that the industry as a whole was fairly disastrous.

At least looking at the rest of Toyota's numbers for March, the Prius numbers seem to be in line with the rest of the numbers, especially once you take into account any "new model syndrome". The only Toyotas doing well compared to last year are the new Corolla and Lexus RX 400h.

I suspect that "new model syndrome" will really take off in April once the 2010 Prius launch starts getting real close. Not to mention having the Insight on sale, too.

10. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How about knocking a couple of more grand off of the sticker to move out the remaining 2009's?

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I sort of agree. There's not really widespread awareness, but most people who were seriously interested in the Prius and did the least amount of research would have discovered it.

12. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a very strange market right now. Many of those looking to buy a new Prius are fully aware that the new model is only a couple of months away. While sellers (of new and used Prius), seem to be pretending that the 2010 Prius is in the distant future.

Keith

P.S I guess that for many people with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), a couple of months really is in the distant future.

13. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    once again, people cant think ahead...when gas spikes up to 3-4 bucks again...you will see prii flying off the lots with premiums on the sticker again...society is so short sighted...they cant see 2 feet in front of them...people i work with think gas will stay 1-2 bucks indefinitely ...clueless entities........

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  15. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Let's all be sure to keep this in perspective. Overall auto sales have been down huge. Toyota's overall sales are down 39%. Honda's overall sales are down 36%. Nissan's overall sales are down 38%. GM's overall sales are down 45%, Ford's overall sales are down 41%, and Chrysler's overall sales aredown 39%.

It is not that people are choosing to buy a Hummer instead of a Prius.
    It's that most people simply aren't buying new vehicles at all.

Auto sales continue slide; Ford, GM down more than 40% | detnews.com | The Detroit News

1 person likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I tend to take a larger view of the hybrid market and not get too worried about any single model especially when the Prius is going through a model change and gas prices are moderate. In seeing the big picture, GreenCarCongress has been one of the best sources including an excellent chart showing all hybrids as a percentage of auto sales. They report that 2009 has shown an increase percentage of hybrids over 2008, ~2.4% for Jan-Feb 2009 compared to ~2.0% for Jan-Feb 2008. Last year, March 2008, is when gas prices shot up.

I also looked at all Toyota hybrids as a percentage of Toyota vehicles sold and they've been running steady at:

1. 10.35% - March 2009
    2. 10.78% - February 2009
    3. 10.21% - January 2009(*)
    I don't have the data but I'm of the opinion that Toyota market share continues to rise, in part because GM and Chrysler are collapsing.

So for now, I'm not ready to 'set my hair on fire.' Given all of the known factors: Prius model change, low gasoline prices and a poor economy, I don't think we'll really know until October 2009 how things settle out. Patience my friends, patience.

Bob Wilson

* - the sources and math for Jan-Feb and March percentages.

17. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's the perfect storm!!!
    The economy,the price of gas,a new model coming soon and a couple of new hybrid models that will give the Prius some competition. It all adds up.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    DAMN DANNY!!!

really had me going there with that link that Toyota and GM were starting a partnership to produce the Volt...

ah, then again... it might have been too many shots in the expresso this morning

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, when you are ready to set your hair on fire, will it hurt a little?

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not really. The hard part is walking along the roads and highways and picking them up from the grass.

Bob Wilson

<song>
    The answer my friend,
    is blowing in the wind,
    The answer is blowing in the wind.</song>