1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The slippery slide martial law provisions into law in dead of night

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Feb 21, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/19/opinion/...Ed%2fEditorials
    Editorial
    Making Martial Law Easier

A disturbing recent phenomenon in Washington is that laws that strike to the heart of
    American democracy have been passed in the dead of night. So it was with a provision
    quietly tucked into the enormous defense budget bill at the Bush administration’s behest
    that makes it easier for a president to override local control of law enforcement and
    declare martial law.

Changes of this magnitude should be made only after a thorough public airing. But these
    new presidential powers were slipped into the law without hearings or public debate.
    The president made no mention of the changes when he signed the measure, and neither the
    White House nor Congress consulted in advance with the nation’s governors.

MJ...Evil men planning evil events. Do not act suprised.

Title edited fer spelling

2. nicoss

nicoss New Member

That’s why it is called Congress and not Progress

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Transposing the 'i' and 't' in "martial" gives the title of the thread a very different meaning.

I thought it had something to do with writing into law things like "Husband must purchase $$$ of jewelry for forgetting wife's birthday" and things like that.

4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Republicans are planning for a dictatorship.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    To play devil's advocate, there are perhaps some situations where this could be used appropriately. We all heard about the rioting and theft that was rampant in New Orleans around the time of Hurricane Katrina. Specifying natural disasters as a situation in which the military can act as a police force would have allowed the US to better maintain control of an already bad situation.

Thats not to say that i like the provision. The "any other condition" phrase in it screams for abuse. I'm also against the fact that it was passed into law without anyone knowing about it. But like i said, i can see a situation where it may be better if the military was capable of stepping in to help restore order.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Feb 21 2007, 03:40 AM) [snapback]393812[/snapback]</div>
    That one confused me too. :D

Tom

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

How far back on here do we need to go to see a pile of threads bashing Bush for not taking control of New Orleans after Katrina?

I looked up Liberal in Websters, and translated from English into the Reality, it means: Weak with short term memory.

Just so you can sleep better at night, this law is intended to allow Bush to seize control of the country in the event of a catastrophic event such as the election of another Clinton or anyone named Hussein. :lol:

8. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Feb 21 2007, 05:27 AM) [snapback]393826[/snapback]</div>
    Much of the groundwork for this is already in place, under the guise of protecting us from terrorism - can anyone say "Patriot Act"?

Webster's defines terrorism as: "The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence to intimidate or coerce societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons."

I think this needs to be redefined to include the subversion of laws meant to protect the checks and balances that have helped prevent dictatorships (I am working from an older dictionary, btw).

Not all terrorism is accomplished by violence or force.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are many examples and many well-intended laws and provisions that were used in ways either unintended or unanticipated. The first one that comes to mind is the tax rebate for business vehicles weighing more than 6,000 pounds. Knowing many farmers and how expensive their vehicles are, I thought that was a great idea until I read that people were using it to buy Hummers and Escalades.

This law also probably has some very good intentions and if used properly will serve good use. However, I also fear that if there is a way to abuse it, there is a strong possibility that someone will abuse it. This is not necessarily a bash on Bush but rather a comment on human nature and and the attraction of absolute power.

10. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Feb 21 2007, 12:27 AM) [snapback]393755[/snapback]</div>
    Let's be clear on the facts. Some as-yet-unidentified person slipped this into the bill at the last minute. It was apparently not the intent of the Congress to grant such sweeping powers. It was a trick. Those of you who think the President should be able to declare martial law at will, surely you don't think that legal change should have occurred by subterfuge? But as mentioned in this thread, that does seem to be typical for our Republican party these days. In my opinion, whoever put this into the bill is a traitor, pure and simple, and should be caught, tried, and if found guilty, punished in accordance with the laws governing treason.

I routinely read a very left-wing website -- Counterpunch -- where I find out facts that I would never see mentioned in mainstream media. At various times, various authors have asserted that DHS has let contracts for construction of large-scale internment camps (concentration camps) in the US, presumably for the internment of US citizens in anticipation of times of civil unrest. I never took the time to track down the truth or fiction of that, because I considered it somewhat beyond plausible. With this latest manuever, maybe I should take that more seriously. Heck, if I wasn't on somebody's list before, I probably am now for saying this.

EDIT:

I'll be damned -- the US DHS did let a contract to build internment camps. And separately, there's a Park Service contract to to rehab the old ones used in WWII.

But not to worry: Fox News assures me that these are only for immigrants, and that they're probably not actually building them -- yet. I feel so reassured.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198456,00.html