1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The squeaky Console Compartment Door Hinge gets the grease?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jdtechtalk00, Jul 1, 2011.

1. jdtechtalk00

jdtechtalk00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy Friday ladies and gents! ;)

I hope that you guys are enjoying the beginning of an assuredly excellent Holiday weekend :) And now that I have you, I was wondering if anyone on this board has had the console compartment door hinge on their Prius make an annoying acute squeaky sound whilst opening and closing? I may be showing my anal-retentive colours here but nothing boils my oil more so then when some seemingly innocuous interior bit starts to make an irksome noise..

If you don't know what part I'm talking about it's PNC #58907 in the diagram that I found on toyotpartseast.com:
    [​IMG]

I'm now on a quest to quiet this vocal interior bit and would like to know if using WD40 or an equivalent product would suffice? Thanks in advance everyone! :cool:

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A silicone based grease or oil would be better. WD-40 is mostly solvents with a small amount of oil and proprietary mystery ingredient(s). It's petroleum based solvents and oil aren't particularly good for plastics and it is a poor lubricant.

If the squeak is metal on metal, then a drop or two of any oil would work. WD-40 would work too for metal on metal, but it's not as nearly as good a lube as regular old oil.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I would recommend wax. Beeswax specifically. It will last the rest of the life of the car, won't stain anything, and won't weaken the plastic. Silicone oils may.

1 person likes this.
  4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is a piece of knowledge I did not posses. TY.