1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Star Trek Poll

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Doc Willie, Feb 2, 2008.

?
  1. I am a (insert rank) in Starfleet, (or of the ________ race) and wear my uniform proudly

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. I have some of the DVDs, but don't wear the pajamas

39 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. I watch one or more of the shows when they're on TV

36 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. I used to be a Trekkie but am a "grown up" now

13 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. I like the one about saving the whales

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Get a Life!

6 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From a couple of other BBS's:

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, never been a fan.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the movies were good, some of the spinoffs were top notch, but nothing comes even close to the original series...

the messages on the show seems to talk about today's world... pretty damn good writing especially for 40 years ago!!

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Star Trek jammies come in adult sizes? I'm sure I haven't watched every movie and every show of every series, but a pretty high percentage. Live long and prosper. ;)

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The real question is, "Which Captain do you prefer: Kirk, or one of the inferior ones?"

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That one's been done here sometime ago. Somebody else can use their tricorder to find it.
    :D

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The original Star Trek series was blatantly militaristic, with the Romulans and the Klingons being obvious analogies for the Russians and the Chinese, totally evil empires, with us as the good guys, and there was never any solution but to kill them. Diplomats were ridiculed as not merely useless, but dangerous, as any attempt to find peaceful solutions always put the good guys in mortal danger. It was stupid, trite, badly written and badly acted.

The next series, with Patrick Stewart, was an improvement. The captain was more of a problem solver than a gunslinger, and they either had a whole new staff of writers or the writers had grown up.

Both series were idiotic in the way aliens from other worlds, who would have evolved without any contact with earth, were always humanoids with some blemish to distinguish them: funny ears or a wrinkled forehead, etc., and always spoke English. At least The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy made people put a fish in their ear to understand alien languages.

And of course faster-than-light travel and teleportation puts the whole thing squarely in the realm of fantasy, right along with tales of dragons and magicians.

The best "Star Trek" movie was Galaxy Quest, in which a load of intergalactic morons mistakes the Star Trek series for a documentary, and mistakes the washed-up cast of the defunct Star Trek series for space heroes. When someone tells the character played by Sigourney Weaver that it's really not necessary to repeat everything the captain says, she replies to the effect that, "Listen, I have one job on this ship. It's a stupid job, but I'm going to do it!" That one line is better than anything in four decades of Star Trek.

1 person likes this.
  8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But the original series gave us so much new pseudo-tech
    vocabulary to play with! It's become a solidly integrated
    meme in modern society, usually used in humorous situations.
    _H*

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    and how does that not reflect real life?

negotiation as a general rule has NEVER worked. name one time in history that one make of human was able to convince another make of human that their way was the right way without war?

the "ostrich" effect did not work either... look at china, the romans, hitler and everyone else who was not satisfied with torturing just the people in their own backyard.

now, we can bring up the russians and the cold war as one time physical war was not necessary, but lets face it, the tenuous peace we have with them has nothing to do with some sort of understanding on the ways of life.

i hate to say it, but violence is an inherent part of the human existence and all the do-good preaching and religion will never change that. we are in fact, just another kind of animal

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I still have an autographed photo of Leonard Nimoy from the original series.

Tom

11. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well daniel I'm no trekkie but I think I can answer some of your post.

The reason you can understand every specie is because your watching through a universal translator. It seems every species has one embedded in their ear or something. I believe it was an episode in the series DS9 where the ferengi were trapped in the past on earth and their universal translator was broke in their ear and they had to fix it. This allowed them to hear and speak english. I also believe in the original series of Star Trek they had some kind of rod they used for translation.

I think it was in TNG that it was discovered the humans, ferengi, klingons, and some other species were decedents of an humanoid species. That explains why they all look humanoid in form. Plus this is all fantasy anyway. It would be very hard to make different technology advanced species that could function well in our world. Yes we do have some good CGI that could do it but these are TV shows and to keep things on the cheap its just easier to make humanoids.

Like I said I'm no trekkie so maybe someone can clear up my mess. :D

I like TNG, Voyager, and DS9 in that order. Never did like the original series but it was pretty good.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I watched the originals when I was very young.

Solid TNG fan.

DS9 was okay for a while.

Never got into Enterprise.

And while I've seen every movie, the only one my wife has seen is "the one with the whales." Though she does laugh every time someone says "nuclear wessels."

13. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What are you talking about? Captain Kirk had the sex drive of Bill Clinton combined with the diplomatic skills of George W. Bush! It's the best of both worlds!

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I missed Enterprise the first time around, but HD Net has been running it at lunch time, so I have been watching it in glorious 1280 HD on my DLP set and think that it is quite good. Besides, T'pol isn't to bad to look at.

Tom

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I probably would have made an effort to watch Enterprise if the beagle had had more screen time.

16. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with Dave. And the music was great too. You never went to a commercial break on TOS without a good amount of suspense. The other series were weak, especially TNG. Enterprise was the only decent spinoff. Looking forward to the next movie.

17. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was an avid fan of the original series, but somehow lost contact. Still like the occassional Captain Picard episode that I see repeated in some hotel room anywhere in the world, but just cannot get into the rest.

Would never vote for "get a life". I get enough of that from my family for quoting things I have read here in PC.:D

18. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry but you are so wrong. Kirk talked his way out of most conflicts for one thing. Also, the emphasis throughout the series was that violence was always a last resort, and in some episodes, the prejudices and failings of even a waring federation were identified as being just as bad as their enemies. Errand of Mercy comes to mind immediately. I've seen every episode of TOG 100s of times - starting when I was 6 years old and I always been impressed with the message of peace the stories told.

19. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did anyone else notice that the first season of TNG, many plots were complete rip-offs of the original series?

20. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PICARD FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

I just watched Generations and First Contact again today. They were on super-sale at wally-world.

I love them all, but you would think that someone would have been making these cats wear seatbelts! You can't get much done if your bridge personnel are crashing to the floor all the time.