1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Story of the GM Volt

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by joe1347, Jun 22, 2008.

1. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exceptional article in The Atlantic on the GM Volt. Maybe GM really can pull it off. Let's hope so.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The perceived goal is quite different from the objective required.

Many get the impression that it is a vehicle to compete directly with Prius and plug-in Prius. Production volume of HSD makes that quite unrelistic. Toyota has far too much of a lead already. Then there's issue with the battery technology itself still, especially cost.

But looking at the big picture, GM attempting to have their volume of plug-in vehicles substantial enough to comfortably make the 2020 mandate is realistic.

In other words, short to mid-term forget it. But for long-term, that's a different story.

3. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Agree. The article seems to hint that GM does have plans for a car that directly competes with the Prius - but certainly offers no specifics. So is GM just trying to put on a 'green' halo for Wall Street as well as improve it's public image (with the Volt) primarily to sell lots of Camaros next year - or is GM serious about selling lots (hundreds of thousands) of high mpg cars?

I guess it will all depend on what's the price of gas over the next few years.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The interesting point is that the Volt looks to have started life as a PR stunt, but the surge in gas prices turned the PR stunt into a real program to survive. (Exactly what marketing can GM do to return the public to buying SUVs?)

One irritating thing about the writer is he buys into the EV1 being a marketing failure (just like the Tesla failure to sell any of their cars?). He did absolutely no EV1 homework before making his EV1 statements.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're half right. It started life as a PR stunt and continues to be a PR stunt until they ever show up in dealers' showrooms (assuming they ever do, which is sort of like saying "Assuming the Cubs win the World Series"). Then a year later expect a lot of "What went wrong" articles.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Yea, I reel at the nonsense EV1 comments too. I think these media types have to sign on to spread those lies, in order to get access. The information in the article is pretty good otherwise.

7. Hudsonglas

Hudsonglas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So if GM can make the Volt work I guess buying their stock at $13 is a good deal. or do they go out of business trying to sell gas guzzlers?

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The big marketing failure is that demand outstripped supply when that was clearly not GMs intention with the EV1.

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that they will pull it off. It's not an impossible dream but it does require
    ..a ton of money ( they are directing development money away from trucks as of last week ),
    ..tons of engineering validation ( they are not complete dopes as shown by their good trucks ),
    ..good marketing ( now here they have a 30 year hole to dig out of ).

However as John alluded, if they are wildly successful then it will still be a tiny volume as compared to 'traditional' hybrids. The EVs and EREVs and PHEVs are not for everybody. They are all going to be niche vehicles.

Toyota is in good shape because they already have a platform on which they can weld a PHEV system thus keep costs down. GM has to develop a blank-sheet vehicle such as Toyota did with the Prius in 1996/97. Neither one will be humongous volume in the first years but 10 yrs from now with more infrastructure in place and lower costs it could offer a decent option to the everyday buyer who will probably be driving a traditional hybrid at that time.

At that time we may also be hitting spot shortages of oil so the traditional hybrids may be at a disadvantage in that they MUST use gas every day.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No one remembers the Rock Hudson/Doris Day movie in which he creates an advertising campaign for a product that doesn't exist? Then he has to create a product. He came up with VIP; alcoholic candy.

GM created an advertising campaign for "The Volt" without having an actual product. They did this to change perceptions. That was the goal. Not to actually supply the car, just to change the perceptions of the public. Now of course, they're scrambling to produce a car that even vaguely resembles what they've been promising. And along the way they've had to backtrack on some of what they've been promising.

11. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What will save GM is China. They have a bigger market there than here, and will have an electric car there before here.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This article, by Jonathan Rauch
    makes me want to vomit. "The EV1 did so poorly, that poor poor GM had to crush them" Hey! Now THAT's Funny!
    No one crushed the Edsil ... no one's crushing hummers. But we DO have to crush the EV1's ... oh Mr. Rauch, what a tool you are. Do your homework. Maybe he's the only one that doesn't know ...
    No one protested when GM anounced Hummers would no longer be manufactured .... or the Aztec, or the Edsil. Gee, I wonder why there were protesters, when GM crushed the EV1 ... since it did so poorly.

And how many of those EV1 leases were NOT snapped up, as soon as you could wade through GM's horribly difficult lease process. Hmmm.

And to the engineer, Andrew Farah, if I were you, and GM called ME up to do stuff for GM, after the lies they've spewed, I'd tell GM to have Wagoner call me personally ... have him BEG me to come back, then tell him to go (BLANK) him self.

13. fotomickey

fotomickey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well I don't think so either.
    Toyota been doing some local assembled Prius in China for sometime already (Japan been working on that market as well)
    Green Car Congress: Sichuan FAW Toyota Starts Prius Production in China

while
    China had been exporting their own EV products globally.
    Miles Electric Vehicles

Imagine...when Miles figure-out how to fit a mini gas-generator on board on their EV-Sedan ....they'll get themselves a Hybrid similar to what Volt can do ..while cost only 1/3 to produces.

14. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Brilliant article, highly reminiscent of the process Toyota went through to bring the first Prius to production (I recommend you read that one too!)

What's surprising is I don't see why GM are cautious of Toyota's progress in PHEVs, as they are both going to take a hammering from BYD, and they aren't even mentioned in the article.

15. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I applaud GM for trying. Engineers love to work on new projects with full support from top-level executives. The riskier, the better.
    If Volt succeed eventually, it might just be my 1st GM vehicle just like Prius was/is my 1st Toyota.
    Seriously I have been a BMW/Honda guy because performance and handling has been top on my list of car shopping criteria. If not for Prius, I can't imagine myself driving a Toyota.
    So, I agree, GM need Volt to revamp its image and internal red-tapes in the process.
    "Go big or go home."
    So, keep it under $35,000, will you, GM?

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    After decades of GM "not getting it" re quality, environment, fuel crisis ... don't EVEN think that GM has somehow had an epiphany, because GM's main goal is to KEEP the ICE in the equasion, as ICE repairs / parts are half GM's business. NO pure electric cars for YOU:

GM aims to be first to make 1 million hydrogen cars: exec | Reuters

The industry has been saying since the 1960's that a hydrogen car is "only 10years away". And as if it's not dumb enough to repeat the same thing that you continue to never be able to follow through on (because it's as impossible and impractical as warp drive) ... NOW GM says they're putting a MILLION fuel cel cars on the road? With no possible ability to afford the $1,000,000 cars? or the infrastructure? or the horrible amount of wasted energy to convert energy to hydrogen?

Oh, won't someone PLEASE fire that liar Wagoner.

If the Volt ever gets off the drawing board, and onto the street with a non-malibu actual body, that has a better drag coefficiency than a parachute ... then into the customer's hands, guess what the first shade-tree mechanic will do to mod it. Junk the ICE, then FILL the void with more batteries. Knowing that, GM will do its best to keep that from happening.

17. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    While not a GM fan, it should be noted that Toyota "pulled the plug" on the RAV4 EV the same day GM did on the EV1 and for basically the same reasons. I do credit Toyota for having a different marketing plan which allowed owners to keep their RAV4 EVs, but Toyota did have a hand in killing the electric car as well.

18. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    FWIW, I had a conversation about stocks this AM with a guy I consider to be a knowledgeable investor. He pointed out the following:

1) Ford's market capitalization ($11.3) billion is now almost exactly twice GM's ($6.6 billion). Apparently that's the first time that's happened in the modern era.

2) GMAC bonds were recently downgraded to less-than-investment (ie, junk) status, not due to their involvement in housing, but due to the large number of car loans now defaulting. That's one way to get rid of your SUV.

3) His final cheerful observation is that, at current rates, both GM and Ford are bankrupt in about 12 months.

These are interesting times.

19. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My money is on Chrysler going Chapter 11 first. Actually, I think that Ford may have the best chance of returning to profitability.
    Interesting times, indeed.:fish2:

20. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wouldn't that accusation be more appropriate for Toyota? Last I heard is that their plug-in hybrid is still going to be a parallel hybrid in which the ICE is an integral part of the drive train. GM's approach, on the other hand, is equivalent to Darrel's Rav-4 EV with a smaller battery and a gasoline backup generator in the trunk. Does Toyota even have a series hybrid or pure-EV in their product roadmap?