1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Study Is In And You Are......

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, May 31, 2014.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    fuzzy1 and bwilson4web like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have not doubt we'll still see another fuzzy thinking, EMI paranoid in another year or so. Still, having ready access to this study . . . probably won't do any good. Still it helps.

Bob Wilson

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have to keep one of these in the car to mess with passenger's heads. :D

[​IMG]

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, come on. You know all these studies finding no danger are funded by the electromagnetic industry itself. It is a conspiracy!

The abnormal behavior of these geeky engineers should be proof that EMF does something bad! :rolleyes:

#4 fuzzy1, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    ftl likes this.
  5. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, and you'll need me to chase them away again. I think I got rid of the last two, more likely a group effort. :)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh great, now i have to find a new excuse for what ails me...:cool:

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not married?

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've been around powerful magnets for 30 years, and am still very healthy. Among the many things I design are DC permanent magnet motors.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out this video.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I kept waiting for the 'cruch' . . . if they got too close.

Bob Wilson

11. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    "I smoked all my life and I'm in my 90s!" ;)
    Question: How do we know the levels set are "safe"? It wouldn't be the first time that a government entity or corporate entity said, "Oh it's okay to expose yourself to ____" and then later discover they were wrong (which required recalls of various things or foods or plastics).

This study claims diesel & petrol are 10% of the maximum "safe" level while electrics are 20%. So you are getting double the EM radiation over your life (if you continue driving the hybrid or electric car).

And what about additive effects from other EM sources like cell towers? Does the combined value exceed the guesstimate by the corporate entity (ICNIRP) of what is safe? It's good to be skeptical given how many times governments & corporations have deceived the citizens.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    El Dobro and Robert Holt like this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Logical fallacy. Just because some hybrid and electric drivers are getting nearly a double does, doesn't mean that all of us are.

We don't know for certain that EMF within the standard limits is absolutely safe. But the continuing lack of consistent findings is strong evidence that if some harm exists, it is low enough to be difficult to reliably detect. The things electricity replaces -- horses and gasoline and diesel for transportation, coal and other combustion fuels for home heating, candles & kerosene for home lighting, ice blocks for home refrigeration, horses for communication -- all have considerably higher levels of harm, far easier to measure.

Even if electricity is not absolutely harmless, it still appears to be the safest available alternative.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you'd hear more than that if his fingers were in the way. :D

15. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    BTW the subject line is horrible. It violates the rules of netiquette and does not describe the subject of the post. And yes if you were talking loudly in a library, or flipping me off because I drive my Prius at 40, I would say something about that too. It all comes down to basic consideration for other people's time, bandwidth, and feelings. A better subject would be "Study shows No Danger From Magnetic Fields in Electric Cars "

1995 RFC: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
    1990 rules of thumb for online communication: Netiquette Home Page -- A Service of Albion.com

#15 Troy Heagy, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  16. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Read the study. It clearly stated the EM measured 10% of the "safe" limit in normal cars and 20% in hybrid cars. That is an actual result. (And yes that means double the EM radiation is being emitted.)
    Electricity doesn't replace gas, diesel, coal for heating/transportation. The power plants continue burning these fuels or some other form of fossil fuel. There's some renewable energy like dams, but that's mostly confined to mountainous states (west coast) and not an option for the midwest or east. (In my home state hydro & solar is less than 10%.)

As for horses I suspect their total pollution was lower than a car or electric vehicle, simply because people didn't travel 50 miles a day like we do. Most Americans rarely traveled more than a mile from their house, usually only once a week (to church or the store), and therefore polluted less, even with the horse.