1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The un-informed rental car companies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mboileau, Jul 22, 2004.

1. mboileau

mboileau New Member

While my car is in the shop today, I have a rental that the Toyota dealer arranged through Enterprise. Much to my surprise, it's also a Prius. My car is a Driftwood Pearl #9, and today I have a Silver base model. I've never really paid much attention to the differences, and other than the nav and phone being missing, I feel like I'm in my car. Not a whole lot of other differences that were obvious. I do now understand why there's a display option for toggling back to the Energy Monitor screen. I never realized that some models don't have an Info button on the wheel.

Anyways, I was talking to the Enterprise agents while I was doing the paperwork, and of course they were saying how the Prius is always being rented, and it's in great demand. But no one there knows anything about the car itself. When I told them I was getting about 50-52 mpg overall, they were floored. They've only seen averages in the low 40's. I spent a few minutes explaining how to improve the mileage, which most of us here already know, such as feathering the pedal, riding the brake as you come to a stop, getting into "coast" mode by partially depressing the pedal. They loved it. Apparently, most of the Prius renters are asking them how to best drive the car, and they had no clue. Most renters return the Prius and are somewhat disappointed by their mileage. They loved hearing these pointers and thought it was great that they could now talk to people intelligently about the car. It's really a shame there isn't a cheat sheet or something to hand out with the rental docs for people who are specifically interested in the car's performance.

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe someone here could make one.
    I don't know how to properly drive the car.
    You gave some good points, but some details would be nice.
    Maybe they are somewhere here. I haven't totally read every little space of the board here thought.
    Maybe Bookrats could add that to his newbie FAQ.
    I would like to be totally informed when I finally get mine.

Alpha

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually i think he is adding that to his FAQ.

there have been hundreds of posts here where many have described what they have done to improve their mileage.

its this fact that i attribute to my nearly 53 mpg average (and rising) and the fact that my first tank was 50.3 mpg and ive never had a tank under 44 mpg (on that tank, i drove over 200 miles delivering the morning paper as an experiment. that consisted of over 1100 deliveries in 4 days)

keep hanging out here and you will be surprized at how much knowledge you will pick up. by the time you pick up your car, it will seem like you have always driven the car in no time.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the future I'd like to put together a brochure describing how to optimally drive the Prius and provide a little advertisement for PriusChat, and distribute those to dealerships across the world.

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Danny, I think that's an excellent idea. Other than this site, I don't know where else I would have found this type of information. The other Prius-related sites are nice, but they don't have the level of detail and knowledge base that this group has.

We've all read that more recent Prius buyers, who were interested primarily in higher gas mileage, are continuously disappointed that the numbers, although higher than pure ICE, are not what has been advertised. These buyers are completely unaware of how to optimize their driving since some of these techniques are the complete opposite of how you would drive another car.

If you need volunteers to help, let me know., Around here, I'm already getting a reputation as the Prius Poster Child.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    one thing that has come to mind is the collective experience of this group...

i wonder if we have a million miles of first hand experience on the 2004 yet?

i submit my 3109 miles