1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The USB is a real SOB....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by The Electric Me, Feb 24, 2014.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Long story..untold..I'm currently driving a rental Toyota Corolla.

Now don't get me wrong, I find my Prius to be a superior vehicle in almost every way BUT...guess what?

On the Corolla the USB port is right on the dash...in the light...and fully accessible.

Why did Toyota put the USB port on The Prius in the dark recesses of the center console? I don't know how many minutes I've spent trying to plug in my USB stick in the port Toyota for some reason decided to hide in about as inaccessible and inconvienent area possible.

I don't mind that it's hidden...in a non-visible area...BUT...why down in a storage area, where it's almost impossible to see?

My Honda Fit had an USB port connection in the upper dash glove compartment...and it was on a extended cord which made pluging anything into it..easy.

I have to file USB port in the Prius as being at least inconvenient. All Toyota has to do is look at their own Corolla to see an improvement in concept.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Agree, it's PITA (n)

3. RockerC

RockerC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If only all problems were as simple as this!

dogfriend likes this.
  4. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's why I plugged mine in and left it plugged in, LOL:LOL:
    My main worry is whether something in the box will hit and damage the USB drive. I agree, that is the dumbest setup I have ever seen.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just had a 2014 Camry rental last week and the USB port is right beside the 12V port in the console in plain sight and easy to get to. Like lumpy95 above I have just plugged my memory stick in and have forgotten about it. So far nothing in the arm rest console has damaged it.

6. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    could the reason be you could plug in your iphone/mp3 player and have it be out of sight ? I use a sandisk cruzer fit which is about 3/4" long. It just barely sticks out of the usb slot and leaves the center console empty for other things.

7. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    you can also get a 12 inch usb extension and make it easier.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I like these for plugging into the car, back of a tv etc because they are so small, they don't overhang much at all and other things cannot push on them stressing at the point where they plug in:

9. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like Paradox stated, I use a thumb drive and it stays there unless I add more songs.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses.

I didn't mean to suggest this was a terminal problem, more than just an annoyance. It's IMO bad design by Toyota.

I do use one of those ultra small thumb drives....and I pretty much just leave it plugged in. I do think the small thumb drives are your best choice. Leaves you the most unobstructed room in your storage console.

11. rsg

rsg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I don't agree that it's a totally bad idea, except maybe the initial difficulties in plugging in your device.

There are all sorts of USB extension cables available to make your life easier. A thimbdrive/USB stick plugged into an extension works well.

As for me, I leave my iPod in the center console (I installed the tray on top in the 2013 center console that used to be included in the 2011). The only time I remove the iPod is to change the music or load more media. I like it that way because it's out of sight, out of mind, and the temptation to steal it if it's visible is minimized. I would not like the idea of having to unplug a visible cable on the dashboard every time I left the vehicle.

Shawn

12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm always the odd man out on PC. I prefer the Prius location in the center console. It's hidden away. It's easily accessible while driving. If it was located where the Corolla has it, I would have to lean forward and maybe look down. Where it is now, I can easily feel for it and unplug it with my eyes on the road. Toyota even has a cigarette lighter next to it for convenience.

iPhone ?

13. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have liked to have the usb in the upper dash glove box (2010 prius iv) like in the honday fit or in the center console under the flying bridge. near the 12v plug

If the usb was powered all the time (ie so it could keep the ipod charged, woudl also be a nice touch)

I have one of the cruzer itty bity thumb drives 16 GB...more than enough music...... it stick up about 1/2 ". nice and compact...out of sight , out of mind...

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, as far as a USB extension cable? I think that's what I want...need actually. Went to a Radio Shack and surprisingly they did NOT have one....

15. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    BestBuy or Wal-Mart should carry them.

The Electric Me likes this.
  16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I bought this cable from Amazon back in July 2011 to reach a hard to reach USB in the back of one of my flatscreens. No trouble with it to this day.

The Electric Me likes this.
  17. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a 6 ft. USB extension cable for $6 on Amazon. Nice looking heavy duty cable. They have them from 3 ft. to 12 ft.
    I needed it for my scanner to reach my other computer.

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm the guy with a mat melted to the dash, a Garmin nuvi on a beanbag mount and a ScanGauge on a Stickypad sitting on the mat. I like the USB port in the armrest because it keeps the drive out of sight although it is a PITA to plug in. Go figure.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first 6 or so months of the 2010 production run did not have USB at all. I suspect this was the easiest way to retrofit it in without significant industrial redesign. The next good chance to fix it is with GenIV.

That said, my household's new Subaru has its USB port in the same place.

20. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I remember that.
    Kind of ridiculous that Toyota released the original 2010's without a USB port.
    But they've had 4 model years since to react, and one whole refresh.

It could be designed better at this point.

It's NOT a real big deal. As has been pointed out in this thread there are ways around the trouble.
    I just noticed it more when I happened to be in a Corolla rental, and noticed how "nice and convenient" the USB port was in that vehicle.