1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The use of neutral during warm-up

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Kaos1, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Kaos1

Kaos1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Greetings,

Today in cold weather I decided to try a new technique for the first few miles of driving while the engine was warming up.

I accelerated to speed and the MPG was low while maintaining speed. The roadway was slightly downhill and no traffic was observed. I put the car in neutral and coasted at ~25mph. I had good MPG, >50 as opposed to ~20. In the cold state of the engine, I could not achieve the stealth state as the ICE would come on when the accelerator pedal was depressed, even slightly.

Is there any harm that can come to the transmission using a technique like this while the engine is warming up?

Kaos1

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    from experience.. i would say no.. you're just putting less of a demand directly on the system. I do the same thing when i leave my house sometimes ( quarter mile down hill grade )

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. I noticed too that shifting to neutral will use less fuel, I suppose it means the engine idles rather than charge the battery. Although, I wonder if neutral lengthens the warm-up period.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    interesting idea. need much more data on it though. coasting in neutral will not allow the battery to charge and i usually run my traction battery on forced EV because i know the ICE will run the next time i start up so i rather have it charge AND warm up.

i really have very little opportunity to try this since my primary commute is rather flat for the most part. i do have a little valley i traverse that is about 2 miles from my work, but my Prius is always nearly warmed up by the time i get there.

for a while i was tracking how long it took for me to get to 150º and it was always before that valley. i do usually coast that valley down one side but the rest of the commute is flat.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my battery is usually full (6 bars) so I'd accelerate a bit and because it isn't quite flat at the first bit of the main road, I tend to use neutral and coast til I have to accelerate again, I reach the a red light or it's warmed up.

6. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am convinced nuetral helps, if the traction battery is at half or more, and there is enough down grade. I excellerate past the speed limit & then cost. Put in D, wait, & brake when approching stop. When decsending a mountain hill charge up & cost in N as far as you can. Watch your average MPG go up. Smile, drink a Mountain Dew.