1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The wait may be a while longer for CO2 answers

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 24, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A rocket bearing a new satellite to measure/monitor CO2 levels crashed after the stages failed to separate.

video: Nasa loses its first CO2 satellite after launch failure - Times Online

The centrepiece of Nasa’s $280 million climate-change mission crashed into the sea near Antarctica today, delivering a heavy blow to the agency’s attempts to chart global warming.
    The space agency’s first carbon dioxide-monitoring satellite took off on a rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California this morning, but after blasting through the Earth’s atmosphere it fell short of its orbiting height and plummeted back towards the sea.
    The orbiting carbon observatory (OCO) satellite was designed to map carbon dioxide on Earth to provide an important step forward for scientists studying climate change.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Whoopsy-daisy

These expsensive Failure Modes are almost always caused by something fairly simple eg: forgot to hook up wires for explosive bolts, forgot to turn on sequencer, etc

It's only taxpayer money. They'll happily build another one

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The explosive bolts were probably installed by a hard line republican: "What global warming?" :D

Tom

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Too funny. I mean, baaaaaaaaa

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No no no, it was the enviro-geeks who are afraid of having their huge fraud that is GW exposed for what it is. They intentionally sabotagged things so they can persist in their fear mongering and persist in the sale of hemp and PV panels.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Even funnier. You sheepish guy, you

7. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The software was programmed for a separation distance in metres, but was configured for a separation distance in feet.

;)

(Something similar caused the crash landing of one of the Mars landers, as I recall.)

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There already a couple of birds up that can provide a limited version of the same data. It's hard to imagine anybody paying for a redo on the OCO in the near future, so we will probably have to make do with what's already in orbit.

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Now THAT made me laugh. :D

Anyway, it's always a bad thing to lose a bird. They cannot be easily replaced - takes years to rebuild, big bucks, and finding a slot on already booked launch schedules.

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The really irksome part about that one was that the units difference was appearing as a systematic navigation error in prior burns IIRC. The team didn't resolve the source of the discrepancy.

I don't launch rockets, but I learned long ago to "sweat the small stuff" as something bigger was often lurking behind it. When that little voice is saying "hey, this is unexpected!" I pay attention or at least note it for future reference. Serendipity and eureka moments arise from answering those nagging questions/inconsistencies. Failure awaits those who routinely ignore them.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "Carry the units. Carry the units!"

Tom

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmmm. Like how NASA routinely declared "the SRB section o-rings will be just FINE in cold weather, no worries ...." KABOOOOOOOM

Or, more recently "that foam falling off during launch can't hurt anything ..." KABOOOOOOM

Again, what the hell, only taxpayer money. They'll eventually build and attempt to launch another one

13. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Unfortunately, the hard data that would have been provided by the satellite would have probably provided an answer to what is absorbing most of the excess CO2. This question will eventually be answered, but will now take longer. Note that different answers support different theories, so we needed that satellite data to figure out which group sabotaged it.

14. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nothing is "absorbing most of the excess CO2"...that's the problem.

15. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The ocean has to be absorbing some of it, else the pH would not be going down.

16. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Some is not "most", hence the large rise in CO2. The yearly rise is actually pretty close to what I calculated by hand ~15 years ago... The ocean was actually expected to absorb more than it apparently has IIRC, but that has not occurred.

Two decades ago it was hoped by many (including myself) that the planet could deal with the massive excess in various ways. Those hopes have faded as we've learned more about the carbon balance. And CO2 concentrations have continued to rise each year.

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it's from soda pop. Every time we open one some of the carbonation fizzes out.

You heard it here first, so when I win my Nobel Prize you can say you were with me at the "AHA!" moment.

Tom

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Who does Dr James Hansen work for? I wonder how mcuh global warming funding NASA receives a year?

19. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Agree. What I should have stated is the satellite would have helped resolve most of the "flux mismatchs" in present model. Data is better than models in every case.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The problem with government agencies is that true competency is pretty far down on the list. nice person kissing is pretty much at the top of the list

The same culture exists in large, senile corporations that don't have a hope in hell of surviving the next year