1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Washington Times: 2010 Prius heats up hybrid market

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first two generations of Toyota's groundbreaking Prius put hybrid vehicles on the map, establishing them as mainstream choices.

Now Toyota's ready with a third-generation Prius for 2010. It improves on almost all of the Prius' shortcomings, delivers even better fuel economy and, when it hits showrooms in late May, likely will cost more than the current Prius.

Full Article

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <AHEM>Now I can read through an Edmunds review and see through their backhanded complements. They at least bother to get some numbers and even if they stretch the interpretation beyond belief, we can still some information from the numbers. But reading this Washington Times article is a little scary and makes me uneasy. This Washington Times article reads like a Prius review from a "Clockwork Orange", "Fahrenheit 451" or "Brazil".

As I read the article, there was an assumption about what is important in a car. Apparently the author and the reader have already agreed upon what these are and the article grabs what it can from the 2010 Prius specifications and gushes over them. For example, ". . . a solid 22-horses stronger . . . ", which is both an impossibly small number yet ". . . is a major factor in eradicating the light-on-power feeling that is a hallmark of hybrid driving dynamics."

Well it was a short write-up.

Bob Wilson

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Parents with their precious cargo in the back seat ... do not want to hear a high revving engine that might, or probably will, or hope will handle that short merge onto a freeway with cars coming up quickly.

And I think the 2nd Gen car does need a good dose of pedal and high revs to accelerate quickly.

I have seen a few incredibly short on/offramps in the Bay Area. As much as it stinks, sometimes one really needs to accelerate quickly.

A great many Americans do not want a slow, tiny, little stink bomb car with their children in the back seat.

That said, I would really hate to see the Prius gas engine get any larger 6 years from now.