1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"The Wave"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gsd0519, Jun 27, 2006.

1. gsd0519

gsd0519 New Member

I have a Prius, my wife drives it to work. I like the car, but after my Audi TT, it's been a tough transition. I love the concept, and actually love driving it... hard to explain.

Anyway, i took the car for a long trip with my buddy to help save on the gas mileage... little did I know how gay we looked.

We even got "the wave" from another couple on the road in a Prius.

Is there some secret handshake that i'm missing?

I really am not looking to upset anyone, even less catagorize anyone....

but we kinda waved back, then looked at each other while still half waving, and had one of those uncomfortable moments.

Just thought it was a little funny....

thanks for all the info on the site. very helpful.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you've got some insecurity about your masculinity--maybe that's why you have a TT, to help you compensate.

The Prius used to be pretty unique...nowadays even in the Ozarks I see one or more daily.

The wave isn't 'gay', it's just an acknowlegement of someone elses intelligent car decision....much like the Harley crowd does.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife and I were in driving along one day and I waved to an oncoming Prius. The other driver waved back. My wife rolled her eyes and was giving me a joking hard time about "damned Prius drivers" and our "secret society" and the "Prius wave" and all that.

In mid rant, the Harley Davidson rider in front of us dropped his left hand and signalled to an oncoming Harley, who dropped his hand in turn.

I asked her if she wanted me to pull alongside the Harley rider so she could tell him how gay he is for waving. She declined. :)

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I usually honk first then wave. :)

Few days ago I was at a stop sign and honked. Driver rolled down the window and with a thumbs up he said "nice color". I replied with my own thumbs up for his.

Hey, when you have something a lot of people wait months for it is a nice club to be in.

But as that South Park episode stated........."he has this smug cloud following him" :p

[​IMG]

(hope you dont mind user "AnOldHouse")

5. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see many Prius every day in Chicago.. one day, on a 20 minute walk, I saw 7 unique Priii! I used to wave, but everyone looks at me funny. The car has become so common here, it's not even special anymore. I guess that's a good thing?!?!

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A month ago I replied to a similar post that I'd only actually seen three other Prii in the month I owned the car. But for the last two weeks they're EVERYWHERE! Counted 6 of 'em on my 2 mile trip to the center of town, and of course we waved.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 27 2006, 10:52 PM) [snapback]277829[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: that's great, tony!

around here people rarely wave anymore. but when they do, it's pretty damn enthusiastic.

8. momfortheenvironment

Great Tony, can't wait for my first wave!!!!!!!

9. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momfortheenvironment @ Jun 28 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]278330[/snapback]</div>
    Not that there is anything wrong with that..........

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    VW drivers did the wave all the time back in the Scirroco days of prime. It's like being a member of a cult.

11. momfortheenvironment

I waved at a lady in a blue prius the other day, can't wait for soemeone to wave at me!!!!!!!!!

12. fatale

fatale New Member

The Prius (in my mind) is still somewhat of an enthusiast vehicle in many parts, and with that it carries the whole proud ownership thing. So it's not surprising to get "the wave" on occasion from other prius drivers, or a thumbs up from non Prius drivers.

I also have two classic austin mini's and in those I get waved at, honked at, tail gated, paced, thumb ups, photos, stopped for no reason (an officer just loved my car), and smiled at.

I would love it if my Prius got such a warm reception!

13. meshell

meshell New Member

the prius owners in my neck of the woods don't wave....sad....i like to wave

14. cry4dawn

cry4dawn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meshell @ Jul 9 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]283446[/snapback]</div>

your right i just drove to sc and back to new york this past week and waved at all the prius' only once i got to south carolina did i get reciprocal waves. i think its a north east thing not to be freindly, either that or the beltway traffic kills all happiness!!!!! :lol:

15. gas hater

gas hater New Member

Dude , you think the Prius is gayer looking then the TT? The TT is up there with the Miata in sterotypical gayness factor. Maybe you should only hang out with chicks so nobody ever mistakes you for being gay. :D

16. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went to wave at one the other day and realized I was walking!!!!! :lol: