1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Way The World Should Work

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, May 5, 2011.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yard work is not my most looked forward to way to spend two hours so after months of relentless rain my front yard was showing its lack of attention. As usual, I put off calling in a commercial yard crew because it's always $300 to cut down and clear away what has become a jungle by the time I do make the call and $300 is a lot dearer these days than it used to be. So when there was a knock on the front door a few evenings back I knew the procrastination had to end; it was surely a neighbor come to "request" I do something about the yard.

Well, it was neighbor and it was about the yard, but the "request" was would I permit him to cut it down so he could use the cuttings for his compost? He could really use the compost and he would really appreciate it if I said yes.

I didn't say yes I said hell yes.

The next day my yard was as neat and shorn as a raw Marine recruit's head and that evening the neighbor dropped by just to thank me for the privilege. I offered to treat him to dinner but he said he'd got the best of the deal so thanks anyway.

Today he was back taking off the half inch that had grown back; I guess he really does need a lot of compost. I made him a tall glass of iced lemonade which I half thought he might turn down, but he wiped his brow and was grateful and drank it down in the heat.

Now how do we go about making the rest of the world work this way?

2. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ha! After reading the first paragraph, I was ready to suggest you move to Wisconsin where we only have to deal with yard work half of the year. By the time I got to the end, it looked like a better idea for me to move to your neighborhood.:p

Maybe if we all keep looking for ways to offer mutually beneficial arrangements to each other, we can see more great stories like this.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good neighbours are wonderful. :)

Maybe he'll help you start your own compost, and you can put your kitchen scraps in there instead of the garbage. ;)

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Buy him a compost bin. Lot less than $300 and likely will pay for it self with additional trimmings of your excess compost fuel.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you growing in your yard that he finds so appealing? perhaps that is the secret to a better world?

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It starts with you, "Pay It Forward" :rockon:

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is great!

8. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Compost is awesome stuff

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think your neighbor is hiding a horse. That provides high speed composting.