1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The winter that wasn't!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by icarus, Mar 14, 2012.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once again, not confuse weather with climate, but sitting here in the Sub Arctic, we are being very much hurt by the rapid, early melt. Just for the record, our average temp for this date, 3/14 is a high of -2C and a low of -18. We have had for a week, temps near 20C (68F) with night time lows around +5C. It is predicted this week that our daily highs will exceed 20 an we may not see freezing again this winter. We usually don't see 20C until sometime in late May.

We also had no real cold weather during the winter. Usually we have a long bout of -35-40. This winter two nights were colder than -30C and non near -40, and few cold than -20.

In an average year, based on first hand accounts for ~100 years, our average ice out date is ~May 9th. 3 of the last five years have had record early break ups, first in 2006 and it came April 19th. 2010 the ice broke up April 3, and this year is on track to be ice free long before the end of March.

Now this may not matter much to most people in thier daily lives, but to us it is devastating. Not even counting the environmental issues with early spring, like low water levels, early fire seasons etc, for us it creates some very real problems. (and economic hardships) We rely on the ice to travel, and to transport many supplies over the ice that we can't haul ithe summer. Personally, I had budgeted 5 weeks for a winter project this Feb-March, and we are being driven off the ice this week (it is an island project on a remote site, where the work can only be done off the ice)

So, as I have suggested to the denial community so often before, I suggest you visit an high arctic or sub arctic climate sometime and see for yourself what climate change is doing!

Icarus

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man, I wanna move there (where ever there is)! We (Alaska) have had an amazing record setting winter,,, SC had an amazingly cold Jan with an average monthly temp of 3F. We have tied the all time snowfall record and we are in the heaviest snowfall month now. Sheezz.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is still winter here. Very unusual for mid March, I was snowed on yesterday on the Burke-Gilman trail, elevation 30 feet, and again this morning at the house, elevation 500 feet. Season total snow here at the house was well above normal. The local passes are still having avalanche closures from multiple feet of new snow. The mountain snowpack started very well in November, ran short December to mid January, then caught up to normal.

As usual, the Pacific Northwest's weather is different than the bulk of the U.S. Due to the typical wavelength of the north-south undulations of the jet stream, we are almost always on the opposite side of the stream than is the other coast.

4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You're right, its the weather.Cold as hell in Europe this year.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Washington DC, no winter...80F today 25F over normal 55F average.
    Cherry blossoms to start in just a couple days Mar 18 (earliest in 20 years or so).
    Now then we deserved a mild winter, it's been colder than average and heavy snows last 3-4 winters before this.

6. Gary in NY

Gary in NY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Icarus, if you're going to write a novel about the weather where you are, don't you think it would be more meaningful to the PriusChat community if you gave us some idea where you are? Your profile location says "earth". You also mention Sub-Arctic, and perhaps by you unit of measure (Celsius, not Fahrenheit), we may be able to rule out a few locations like Alaska.

My location (New York State) has also seen a warm winter, and warm weather this week, forecast to be warmer next. But Europe has had a very hard winter, showing how much difference there is between changes in weather and global climate change.

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about not locating myself. We R in far northwestern Ontario, between Hudson's Bay and Lke Superior. Not very far north geographically, but very far north climatically.

As for winter in the Pacific rim, Coastal BC was the only place in Canada this week that did not have significant temperature records set. As for W.Washington, I am familiar with the local pacific rim climate there, as we live part of the year in the Pac. NW. the Cascades have had lots of snow this winter, extending up to AK ( Spidey) largely influenced by the Pacific.

My response to Mojo: Yes, it is weather, but climate scientist have predicted that one of the outcomes of climate change is going to be unusual weather, not just warming. Record warm continent wide in N. America, cold in Europe, snow in the PAC rim in unusual locations and amounts are all PROBABLE examples of climate change.

Icarus

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's call it what it is: global warming. "Climate change" is a dishwater term attempting to appease the reactionaries, deniers, and other flat-Earth types. And these are its hallmarks: greater increase in low temperatures than high, greatest warming in polar regions, and more severe weather most places.

I hate to say "get used to it" but it is already too late to prevent further disruption. We still need to act because it is not to late to prevent the catastrophe of the melting of the East Antarctic ice sheet.

9. pippijones

pippijones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

In Philadelphia the mild winter had us all on edge, since it was so warm in January and February we all said we had to have a huge snow storm just so Mother Nature could get back at us for having it so easy but Monday and Tuesday the weather was absolutely beautiful. So I guess winter is over, just in time to open the moonroof on my new Prius C!

10. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Personally, I think climate change IS more accurate, and yes it does help to demonstrate what's happening to the Neanderthals who scream "WHERE'S YOUR GLOBAL WARMING NOW" after each snowfall.
    We have to be able to get through to these fools too. Just pay attention to the current primary going on in the G(as) O(il) P(etrochem) party. Now, they're fighting about birth control as the population exceeds 7 Billion.
    Unfortunately, these morons vote.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like "Climate Change" because the planet getting warmer is just one thing that happens.

As for the deniers, I'm seriously wondering if ANY of them have ever been outdoors in the past year or so.

Let me see if I can <reverb>THINK LIKE A DENIER</reverb>

If it snows one day - "So much for Global Warming! Al Gore [insert random ad hominum here]!"

When we have a few years of record highs and freak record-breaking storms - "That don't prove nothin'!"

12. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When the weathers warm ,that's climate change.
    When the weathers cold, that's only weather.Unless its also climate change because any variation is due to global warming.
    Heads I win ,tails you lose.

13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just couldn't wait to make this political could you. :rolleyes: No wonder why nothing gets done.

15. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While we had a nice winter here, Europe was treated to near record cold!

16. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Cold is weather, not climate.
    Let us know when its unseasonably hot.That will be good anecdotal evidence of climate change .

17. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Heres USA temperatures from Feb 1930 compared to Feb 2012

Attached Files:

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my region of the country, they could have spent that entire time fully immersed in outdoor recreation and not run into anything that challenged their position. Over that time the weather here has been cooler than normal, but not by enough to shout out any trend.

Humans have extremely powerful memory selection biases, confirmation biases, and ability to see patterns in truly random noise. Because of this, I have to discount all these weather anecdotes from all sides. The frequent pointers to increasingly wild weather don't fit my own memory of plenty of wild weather in my region of the country over my entire conscience life, nor the similar written accounts of wild events in the same region over the whole time white man has occupied it.

For those reasons I give far more weight to the instrument records. While not perfect, they are far less biased than human perception and memory.

3 people like this.
  19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems pretty clear someone is confusing climate with weather:)

There is plenty of evidence of climate change but this is not it.

+1

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We already had an "is the weather getting more extreme?" thread, I know. But just in case anyone wants to look at some retrospective studies of temperature and precipitation extremes:

N Amer
    Changes in North American extremes derived from daily weather data
    JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 113, D07113, doi:10.1029/2007JD009453, 2008

Europe
    European Seasonal and Annual Temperature Variability, Trends, and Extremes Since 1500
    Jürg Luterbacher, et al.
    Science 303, 1499 (2004);
    DOI: 10.1126/science.1093877

Global
    Global observed changes in daily climate extremes of temperature and precipitation
    L. V. Alexander et al.
    JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 111, D05109, doi:10.1029/2005JD006290, 2006

I remember a more recent US-only study, but I don't know where I put it. From these publication dates, you might conclude (as I did) that there is room for updating. So should anyone want to perform their own analysis along these lines, hop in. Most daily data cost $$ but you can get 'em.

But please, don't just pick one year to compare to another year. That may be OK for our web chatting, but journal reviewers chew that stuff up and spit it out.

edit: I am inclined to use cyclo's aw jeez as an avatar. Seems to fit my current assumed role at PC. That image copyrighted?