1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

THE WORLD SITUATION * A LETTER TO MY SONS

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Atoyot, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Atoyot

Atoyot New Member

Found this very interesting and wanted to see everyones view on it.

Atoyot

THE WORLD SITUATION * A LETTER TO MY SONS
    This was written by a retired attorney, to his sons, May 19, 2004.

Dear Tom, Kevin, Kirby and Ted,

As your father, I believe I owe it to you to share some thoughts on the present world situation. We have over the years discussed a lot of important things, like going to college, jobs and so forth. But this really takes precedence over any of those discussions. I hope this might give you a longer term perspective that fewer and fewer of my generation are left to speak to. To be sure you understand that this is not politically flavored, I will tell you that since Franklin D. Roosevelt, who led us through pre and WWII (1933 - 1945) up to and including our present President, I have without exception, supported our presidents on all matters of international conflict. This would include just naming a few in addition to President Roosevelt - WWII: President Truman - Korean War 1950; President Kennedy - Bay of Pigs (1961); President Kennedy - Vietnam (1961); [1] eight presidents (5 Republican & 4 Democrat) during the cold war (1945 - 1991); President Clinton's strikes on Bosnia (1995) and on Iraq (1998). [2]

So be sure you read this as it is completely non-political or otherwise you will miss the point.

Our country is now facing the most serious threat to its existence, as we know it, that we have faced in your lifetime and mine (which includes WWII). The deadly seriousness is greatly compounded by the fact that there are very few of us who think we can possibly lose this war and even fewer who realize what losing really means.

First, let's examine a few basics:

1. When did the threat to us start?

Many will say September 11th, 2001. The answer as far as the United States is concerned is 1979, 22 years prior to September 2001, with the following attacks on us: Iran Embassy Hostages, 1979; Beirut, Lebanon Embassy 1983; Beirut, Lebanon Marine Barracks 1983; Lockerbie, Scotland Pan-Am flight to New York 1988; First New York World Trade Center attack 1993; Dhahran, Saudi Arabia Khobar Towers Military complex 1996; Nairobi, Kenya US Embassy 1998; Dar es Salaam, Tanzania US Embassy 1998; Aden, Yemen USS Cole 2000; New York World Trade Center 2001; Pentagon 2001. (Note that during the period from 1981 to 2001 there were 7,581 terrorist attacks worldwide). [3]

2. Why were we attacked?

Envy of our position, our success, and our freedoms. The attacks happened during the administrations of Presidents Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton and Bush 2. We can not fault either the Republicans or Democrats as there were no provocations by any of the presidents or their immediate predecessors, Presidents Ford or Carter.

3. Who were the attackers?

In each case of attacks on US they were Muslims.

4. What is the Muslim population of the World?

25%

5. Isn't the Muslim Religion peaceful?

Hopefully, but that is really not material. There is no doubt that the predominately Christian population of Germany was peaceful, but under the ictatorial leadership of Hitler (who was also Christian), that made no difference. You either went along with the administration or you were eliminated. There were 5 to 6 million Christians killed by the Nazis for political reasons (including 7,000 Polish priests). ( http:// www.nazis.testimony.co.uk/7-a.htm ).

Thus, almost the same number of Christians were killed by the Nazis, as the 6 million holocaust Jews who were killed by them, and we seldom heard of anything other than the Jewish atrocities. Although Hitler kept the world focused on the Jews, he had no hesitancy about killing anyone who got in his way of exterminating the Jews or of taking over the world - German, Christian or any others. Same with the Muslim terrorists.

They focus the world on the US, but kill all in the way - their own people or the Spanish, French or anyone else.. [5]

The point here is that just like the peaceful Germans were of no protection to anyone from the Nazis, no matter how many peaceful Muslims there may be, they are no protection for us from the terrorist Muslim leaders and what they are fanatically bent on doing - by their own pronouncements - killing all of us infidels. I don't blame the peaceful Muslims. What would you do if the choice was shut up or die?

6. So who are we at war with?

There is no way we can honestly respond that it is anyone other than the Muslim terrorists. Trying to be politically correct and avoid verbalizing this conclusion can well be fatal. There is no way to win if you don't clearly recognize and articulate who you are fighting.

So with that background, now to the two major questions:

a. Can we lose this war?

b. What does losing really mean?

If we are to win, we must clearly answer these two pivotal questions. We can definitely lose this war, and as anomalous as it may sound, the major reason we can lose is that so many of us simply do not fathom the answer to the second question - 'What does losing mean?'. It would appear that a great many of us think that losing the war means hanging our heads, bringing the troops home and going on about our business, like post Vietnam. This is as far from the truth as one can get. What losing really means is:

· We would no longer be the premier country in the world.

· The attacks will not subside, but rather will steadily increase.

Remember, they want us dead, not just quiet. If they had just wanted us quiet, they would not have produced an increasing series of attacks against us over the past 18 years. The plan was clearly to terrorist attack us until we were neutered and submissive to them.

· We would of course have no future support from other nations for fear of reprisals and for the reason that they would see we are impotent and can not help them.

· They will pick off the other non Muslim nations, one at a time.

It will be increasingly easier for them. They already hold Spain hostage. It doesn't matter whether it was right or wrong for Spain to withdraw its troops from Iraq. Spain did it because the Muslim terrorists bombed their train and told them to withdraw the troops. Anything else they want Spain to do, will be done. Spain is finished.

· The next will probably be France. Our one hope on France is that they might see the light and realize that if we don't win, they are finished too, in that they can't resist the Muslim terrorists without us. However, it may already be too late for France. France is already 20% Muslim and fading fast. See the attached article on the French condition by Tom Segel. [6]

· If we lose the war, our production, income, exports and way of life will all vanish as we know it. After losing, who would trade or deal with us if they were threatened by the Muslims. If we can't stop the Muslims, how could anyone else? The Muslims fully know what is riding on this war and therefore are completely committed to winning at any cost. We better know it too and be likewise committed to winning at any cost.

Why do I go on at such lengths about the results of losing?

Simple. Until we recognize the costs of losing, we cannot unite and really put 100% of our thoughts and efforts into winning.

And it is going to take that 100% effort to win.

So, how can we lose the war?

Again, the answer is simple. We can lose the war by imploding. That is, defeating ourselves by refusing to recognize the enemy and their purpose and really digging in and lending full support to the war effort.

If we are united, there is no way that we can lose. If we continue to be divided, there is no way that we can win.

Let me give you a few examples of how we simply don't comprehend the life and death seriousness of this situation.

· President Bush selects Norman Mineta as Secretary of Transportation. Although all of the terrorist attacks were committed by Muslim men between 17 and 40 years of age, Secretary Mineta refuses to allow profiling. Does

that sound like we are taking this thing seriously? This is war. For the duration we are going to have to give up some of the civil rights we have become accustomed to. We had better be prepared to lose some of our civil rights temporarily or we will most certainly lose all of them permanently. And don't worry that it is a slippery slope.

We gave up plenty of civil rights during WWII and immediately restored them after the victory and in fact added many more since then.

Do I blame President Bush or President Clinton before him? No, I blame us for blithely assuming we can maintain all of our Political Correctness and all of our civil rights during this conflict and have a clean, lawful, honorable war. None of those words apply to war. Get them out of your head.

· Some of us have gone so far out in our criticism of the war and/or our Administration that it almost seems they would literally like to see us lose. I hasten to add that this isn't because they are disloyal. It is because they just don't recognize what losing means. Nevertheless, that conduct gives the impression to the enemy that we are divided and weakening, it concerns our friends, and it does great damage to our cause.

· Of more recent vintage, the uproar fuelled by the politicians and media, regarding the treatment of some prisoners of war, perhaps exemplifies best what I am saying. We have recently had an issue involving the treatment of a few Muslim prisoners of war by a small group of our military police. These are the type prisoners who just a few months ago were throwing their own people off buildings, cutting off their hands, cutting out their tongues and otherwise murdering their own people just for disagreeing with Saddam Hussein. And just a few years ago these same prisoners chemically killed 400,000 of their own people for the same reason. They are also the same type enemy fighters who recently were burning Americans and dragging their charred corpses through the streets of Iraq. And still more recently the same type enemy that was and is providing videos to all news sources internationally, of the beheading of an American prisoner they held. Compare this with some of our press and oliticians who for several days have thought and talked about nothing else but the "humiliating" of some Muslim prisoners - not burning them, not dragging their charred corpses through the streets, not beheading them, but "humiliating" them. Can this be for real? The politicians and pundits have even talked of impeachment of the Secretary of Defense. If this doesn't show the complete lack of comprehension and under-standing of the seriousness of the enemy we are fighting, the life and death struggle we are in and the disastrous results of losing this war, nothing can.

To bring our country to a virtual political standstill over this prisoner issue makes us look like Nero playing his fiddle as Rome burned - totally oblivious to what is going on in the real world. Neither we, nor any other country, can survive this internal strife. Again I say, this does not mean that some of our politicians or media people are disloyal. It simply means that they absolutely oblivious to the magnitude of the situation we are in and into which the Muslim terrorists have been pushing us for many years. Remember, the Muslim terrorists stated goal is to kill all infidels. That translates into all non- Muslims - not just in the United States, but throughout the world. We are the last bastion of defense.

We have been criticized for many years as being 'arrogant'. That charge is valid in at least one respect. We are arrogant in that we believe that we are so good, powerful and smart, that we can win the hearts and minds of all those who attack us, and that with both hands tied behind our back, we can defeat anything bad in the world. We can't. If we don't recognize this, our nation as we know it will not survive, and no other free country in the World will survive if we are defeated.

And finally, name any Muslim countries throughout the world that allow freedom of speech, freedom of thought, freedom of religion, freedom of the Press, equal rights for anyone - let alone everyone, equal status or any status for women, or that have been productive in one single way that contributes to the good of the World.

This has been a long way of saying that we must be united on this war or we will be equated in the history books to the self inflicted fall of the Roman Empire. If, that is, the Muslim leaders will allow history books to be written or read.

If we don't win this war right now, keep a close eye on how the Muslims take over France in the next 5 years or less. They will continue to increase the Muslim population of France and continue to encroach little by little on the established French traditions. The French will be fighting among themselves over what should or should not be done, which will continue to weaken them and keep them from any united resolve. Doesn't that sound eerily familiar?

Democracies don't have their freedoms taken away from them by some external military force. Instead, they give their freedoms away, politically correct piece by politically correct piece. And they are giving those freedoms away to those who have shown, worldwide, that they abhor freedom and will not apply it to you or even to themselves, once they are in power. They have universally shown that when they have taken over, they then start brutally killing each other over who will be the few who control the masses. Will we ever stop hearing from the politically correct,

about the "peaceful Muslims"?

I close on a hopeful note, by repeating what I said above. If we are united, there is no way that we can lose.

I believe that after the election, the factions in our country will begin to focus on the critical situation we are in and will unite to save our country. It is your future we are talking about. Do whatever you can to preserve it.

Love,
    Dad

[1] By the way on Vietnam, the emotions are still so high that it is really not possible to discuss it. However, I think President Kennedy was correct. He felt there was a communist threat from China, Russia and North Vietnam to take over that whole area. Also remember that we were in a 'cold war' with Russia. I frankly think Kennedy's plan worked and kept that total communist control out, but try telling that to anyone now. It just isn't politically

correct to say so. Historians will answer this after cool headed research, when the people closest to it are all gone.

2] As you know, I am a strong President Bush supporter and will vote for him. However, if Senator Kerry is elected,

I will fully support him on all matters of international conflict, just as I have supported all presidents in the past.

[3] Source for statistics in Par. 1 is http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001454.html .

[4] The Institute of Islamic Information and Education. http:// www.iiie.net/Intl/PopStats.html

5] Note the attached article by Tom Segel referred to in Foot Note 6 infra, the terrorist Muslim have already begun the havoc in France. (The note was not attached to the e-mail I received. Bob)

6] I checked this article with two sources - Hoax Busters and Urban Myths. It does not come up as a Hoax on either. I also then e-mailed Mr. Segel and he confirmed the article was his.

[7] "I don't think the Army or any branch of service runs any type of war any more. It's done by senators and congressmen. There are too many civilians involved." Returning Iraq veteran, Sgt. 1st Class Greg Klees as quoted in the Cedar Rapids, IA Gazette on May13th, 2004.

[8] There are 64 Muslim countries. This does not count countries like Spain that are controlled by the Muslim terrorists.

2. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

To the retired attorney:

2) You've gotta be kidding. Envy? At one point or another, we've supported hundreds of, often times corrupt, regimes around the world. By transitivity, we've been the oppressors and enemies of virtually the entire global population. It doesn't matter that any one country or dictator could have maintained power without US support; those fighting always think "we'd win if it weren't for US aid."
    Envy is an over simplistic, and quite frankly stupid, explanation. I'd imagine that there are several million starving Africans who are pretty envious of us. Mexicans are probably envious of us. There aren't many people who AREN'T envious of us. Dig deeper Sherlock.

*Spain got bombed, so they voted in a new guy and then pulled out their troops? I think you left something out there: the part where the old Spanish government initially blamed Basque Separatists for the bombings. Whether this was an honest mistake or a deliberate attempt to mislead, the Spanish people didn't like it. Can you say, for certain, whether the Spanish people ousted the government because:
    a) they feared further attacks in Spain
    B) they didn't appreciate the (apparent) misdirection of the government regarding the perpetrators of the attack
    c) they didn't support the war to being with

*Its pretty easy to surrender someone else’s civil liberties. I assume, of course, that you yourself are not Muslim-American. Maybe you want to round them all up and put them in an internment camp? As a quick aside, could you even tell the difference between an Arab Muslim and Indian?

I’m pretty sensitive on this particular issue, because one of my best friends in high school was Muslim. He’s in med school now and committed to the Air Force for a few years after he graduates. That’s pretty much to be expected, since his father is a Colonel in the US Air Force. I just find it galling that Col. Hossain would be singled out in an airport security line, after devoting his adult life to the defense of this country, simply because of his physical appearance.

<quote>Democracies don't have their freedoms taken away from them by some external military force. Instead, they give their freedoms away, politically correct piece by politically correct piece.</quote>

I think you just contradicted yourself within the span of 3 paragraphs.

*Abu Ghraib First of all, this wasn’t an isolated incident by a few soldiers in one place. There have been many reports of similar abuses in Afghanistan. And if you’ve watched Fahrenheit 9/11, you’ll see footage of very similar incidents happening at a location far, far away from Abu Ghraib.

The argument that they mistreat prisoners and are brutal murderers doesn’t float. Imagine if US troops were anything but humanitarian to the liberated survivors of the Holocaust. Do you think the line: “. . . but HEY, at least we aren’t gassing you like the Nazis†would look good? President Reagan spoke of the US as a City Upon a Hill that was a shining beacon to the world. What you’re suggesting is that the US sink to the level of despots and thugs, just low enough that the people of the world would still choose us over them.

Furthermore, these people in US custody aren’t necessarily GUILTY of ANYTHING. They’ve had no trial and no investigation into their individual stories. They’ve been rounded up based on US intelligence (which must be good, since our intel has helped our troops completely crush the Iraqi insurgency…) and anonymous tips (“will betray for some water and electricityâ€.) If they capture the guys in those videos beheading and burning Americans, THEN we’ll talk. I’m all for sticking THOSE guys in the US prison system, then taking bets on how long they manage to survive (I think the over-under on that is about 7 hours.) But until you prove that these people had anything to do with anything, its insane to even imply that “they had it coming to them.â€

Ultimately, I think its YOU who does not comprehend the seriousness of the prison scandal. It doesn’t matter if it was only ONE soldier acting by himself. Osama bin Laden and his operatives can now take these pictures to the poorest, most remote areas of the Muslim world as “proof†of the immorality of the Western world:
    “See what they’ll do to your fathers and sons?â€

They won’t even need Photoshop.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

So, we should give up our civil freedoms, and the moral principles our country was founded on, because otherwise we'll be wiped out by an external threat?

Yeah. Heard that one before. Quite frequently, in fact -- seems to show up over and over again, throughout history. Usually as an excuse for doing something horrible to a lot of people.

I prefer to continue Doing the Right Thing (or trying, anyway), and being able to sleep at night.

BTW, just to clarify: I\'m addressing this to the "retired attorney", not Sun_Tzu, who I strongly agree with.

4. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

My solution:

Since your solution seems to be “sit down and shutup,†I thought I’d try to come up with something more constructive.

The problem with fighting terrorists is that the terrorists themselves are difficult to locate. It is equally difficult to cut off their funding, and utterly impossible to keep weapons (guns, box cutters, home-made explosives) out of their hands. And while it is difficult, but not impossible, to keep them away from sensitive areas, defensive measures are at best, a stop-gap. The fight must be taken to the enemy.

Traditionally, “fight†means bullets and bombs. But in a war on terrorism, these weapons are useless. The typical enemy seeks to martyr himself. If, instead of suiciding himself on the enemy, he is felled by American bullets, then we have just helped recruit his brothers, sons, father, neighbors and 20 closest friends to the terrorist cause. For every “smart bomb†that missed its target in Iraq, we spawned dozens of potential terrorists: people who have lost their homes, families and friends, who have nothing to live for but vengeance.

Terrorism cannot be contained or put down by force. But it can, ultimately, be defeated.

Imagine a dirt poor, Afghan village, who’s only source of water is an American well. Who relies on American food and medicine for survival. Who receive American technological expertise to help improve their own crop yields, achieving self-sufficiency. Would you agree that an Afghan from this village is less likely to become a terrorist than someone from another village, who’s only knowledge of American comes from al Qaeda? How much cheaper would it be to provide food and water, instead of facial recognition technology and stealth fighters?

The key to this effort is that it MUST be non-secular. Any hint of Christian missionaries “corrupting and converting Muslim youths†would destroy the entire effort. Ideally, America and our allies would help fund schools too, but this might also invoke a backlash. I think its debatable whether schools would be a worthwhile risk: success means a generation of Muslims who would presumably be resistant to terrorist propaganda; failure would mean another generation lost to violence.

For anyone who still thinks that we “ought ta smoke ‘em out,†consider this question:

“Were they born wanting to do this?â€

If not, there must be some environmental factor, some setting in their upbringing that made them what they are. You can treat the symptoms for now, but there is no cure until you treat the source.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bingo--dead on.

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Keep it simple: To stop terrorism...stop being a terrorist! If you think the US isn't a terrorist, pull your head out and look around. Do the math: 4% population using 25% resources, of which we import the stuff the Middle east has, duh! We somehow have to get that stuff, we can't seem to conserve, so let's 'force' others to give us stuff...wish it were different, but reality sucks.

7. PNeu

PNeu New Member

These people have no loyalty to the foreigners. Whatever you do for them. They will smile to you during the day and will not hesitate to kill you during the night. No moral problem, quite an opposite, better chance to go to heaven.

Do you know what's (by far) is the most popular crop there?

poppy

It's doubled since "liberation" from taleban and now makes Afghan the biggest world producer of this evil substance in its most refined form.

You are too idealisic and naive SunTzu.

What about new and much more serious battle this fall?

TAIWAN

US carrier group will be destroyed by Chinese missiles...

maybe.

USA, like any other empire in the human history is facing a choice: to kill or to be killed. Once you reach the point when you blink, that's it.

Make up your mind...

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

Guess if this guy was born a German, he would've blindly supported Hitler instead of our leaders. Or, born in the south before the civil war he would've been on the wrong side again.

Pride in one's nation is a good thing. Blind faith in other human beings is the religious equivalent of giving your money to the televangelists and thinking it goes right to god.

Making this war any more Muslim against Christian than it already is only supports the fundamentalist claim on the Muslim side that it is a war of religions. A good way to support terrorism is to make them think they have a claim to their plight, and their plight is real, not imagined.

-m.

9. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you really want to stop terrorism, starve 'em to death. That means no middle east oil importation, no exportation of anything to them - at any price.

If they want to live in a fundamantalist religious stone age world, let 'em. With no economy, and no outlets to the rest of the world beyond hopping onto a camel, they wouldn't be able to get out of there to do any damage, and they can hate us all they want.

10. Atoyot

Atoyot New Member

Interestin point Wolfman, and the boom to the American economy would be amazing with new oil drilling. This of course can be done in a clean way, and it's not like we don't have oil here, it's just cheaper to import it at the moment. Another interesting point is the amount of oil in S. America.

Atoyot

11. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Remind me again how we killed the USSR? How NATO armored divisions rolled across the great plains of Europe and smashed the Warsaw Pact, ending one of the largest and most powerful empires in history. . .

War is, quite simply, the last resort of thugs and barbarians. Do you realize that the 60 years since 1945 has seen the first time in all of human history that the major powers of the world have NOT been at war with each other? It only took four thousand years of human history for people to figure out that wars are fundamentally counterproductive.

I didn't say giving them food and water was going to win them over very quickly. Patience is a virtue.

Naturally, your thought now is probably: "but then they're gonna kill us tomorrow!!!" Well, the "we'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow" attitude was widely adopted during the Cold War, when we blindly supported petty despots around the world just because they weren't Communist. Forty years later, we're reaping what we sowed. In a war on terrorism, you can win every single battle and still lose the war.

...yes. And your point is? We're not exactly flooding that country with foreign aid and relief workers (the workers are mostly stuck in the capital since the countryside is controlled by warlords).

What exactly is your plan? More troops in Afghanistan? I'd love to see that too (at least until the warlords are broken). But the fact remains that we don't have the manpower or the money to put troops everywhere they're needed, and Bush has pisses off enough of our allies such that we're not getting any help. Unless you're volunteering to go to Afghanistan, or don't mind a jump in your income tax, I'd suggest we try and think of something besides military force.

That won't happen anytime soon, for any number of reasons:
    1) they'll lose US trade, thus wrecking their economy
    2) it'll start a war that neither side can win; the Politburo is risk-adverse, so unless we do something unthinkably stupid (and I wouldn't put it past Bush), the Chinese won't go that far
    3) you really think Chinese missiles can penetrate the AEGIS missile shield and various other countermeasure in a carrier group? If they get shot at, it'll be an accident (accident or "accident")

And you're far too rigid and illogical in your thinking. A dirt poor nation with zero natural resources turns to growing poppy the first chance it gets? Is anyone surprised? With no foreign aid, no foreign technical support, zero foreign or Afghan incentives to grow "real" crops, and warlords controlling the countryside (much like the Columbian drug lords), growing anything that's NOT poppy is on the wrong side of the risk-reward nexis. There's a lotta ways to fix this; I happen to think a stick-and-carrot work better than a gun-to-the-head.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The present-day map of the Middle east was drawn by the West, complete with puppet governments - royal families with no pretense of democracy, a few of which were, not surprisingly, overthrown by equally-ruthless thugs. The West is fully responsible for the total lack of democracy there.

But I like your idea of not importing any more oil, even though it would make driving even a Prius a luxury for millionaires only.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I lived for a year and a half in Spain and still correspond with a friend there.

The Spanish people overwhealmingly opposed the war in Iraq. Aznar sent Spanish troops on his own authority, without ever allowing any debate in Parliament.

The Madrid bombing was so obviously not the work of ETA that nobody in Spain ever believed they had done it. Trying to blame it on them was a monumental act of political stupidity by a president who was desperate to justify licking G.W.'s boots. (Aznar was often protrayed as Bush's lapdog.) The Spanish population is so completely unified against ETA, that Aznar obviously hoped he could rally support by trying to pin it on them. A desperate act by a desperate man.

As for the people who claim that Spain capitulated to the terrorism of al Queda, only an American (ignorant of everything outside his own country) could possibly imagine such a thing! The courage of the Spaniards against ETA, and their universal willingness to stand up against ETA, proves without a shadow of a doubt that they do not bend to terrorism. They even have the courage to do what is right (get out of Iraq!) even though America accuses them of cowardice for it.

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, I'm all too aware of the history of the world's sewer. I'm all for letting them have their stone age value system all they wish, just simply isolate them from the rest of the world in the meantime.

Eliminating oil imports would not make owning a Prius a luxury. Getting all of these people who drive with their right foot and gas pedal planted firmly on the floorboards to slow down would make a huge difference. People talk about a 1.5 mpg improvement on vehcile fuel economy would be all that's needed. Well, not driving 15 to 20 mph over the speed limit would yield that improvement, with no change in current automobile technology.

15. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I finally agree with Wolfman!!!! It is WE who are financing the crazies in the Middle East by buying their oil. OUR money buys the bombs, explosives, computers, and all the stuff they use to wreak havoc on our lives. Our energy policy has to change soon. We need to conserve more and develop more alternative energy sources here at home. Bio-diesel and ethanol are good choices. If you travel though the countryside, especially in the Northeast, there are acres and acres of uncultivated land just waiting for something like this to happen. This land is not used now because if is cheaper to produce crops in the flatlands of the Mid-West with the heavily mechanized farming style used now, but if this land were used for energy production, keeping the source close to the area of end use, it might be an economic shot-in-the-arm for a lot of rural areas.

16. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Good point about Spain and the ETA, daniel. Forgot about that angle (that they've been fighting and resisting terrorism for much longer than we have). Realizing that makes accusations of Spain's "cowardice" seem utterly stupid.

Would our reduction in oil imports help though? I realize that its both easy to do and sensible. But if the US cuts down on imports (at least from the Middle East), won't China just gobble up the surplus?
    -The Middle East will still be awash with money (and be able to fully fund terrorism).
    -But we'll have out troops out of there.
    -But the terrorists might still come after us, the Great Satan, only with Chinese money now (which, since they largely export to us, would technically still be US money : (

Also, for those of us who've seen Fahrenheit 9/11, recall Moore's assertion that the Saudi's control a massive part of the US economy through investments. If they pull that money, it would be catastrophic to the US economy. I wonder if Moore was implying that our government and major corporate leaders are hesitant to push for energy independence because they fear a retaliatory financial move by the Saudis.

17. Atoyot

Atoyot New Member

I wouldn't worry about China, they have oil that they are just beginning to tap into. They also for the first time purchased 1million vehicles, where as the US did something like 17million so the dependence isn't there yet. From what I heard, the largest purchaser of oil equipment in the world at this point in time is the China Government.

It is naive to blame the west for the fighting going on in the middle east. History tells us that it has always been going on, and some say it will contiue no matter what happens. I'm sure that all of the middle east govenments are glad that the terrorist are after the US, and not focusing on the local governments.

Logistically, more oil needs to start beining imported from counties that don't harbor terroist. Then once that shift has happened, we need to restrict imports to allow the price to get high enough to encourage local oil development. Due to all of the red tape, and enviromental requirements, it is more costly to produce here than abroad. Not that it is wrong, just a fact, but clean production can be done. If your veiw of oil drilling is like Spindletop, then you need to get a more up to date picture.

Atoyot

18. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I was wondering, were there a lot of civil wars during the reign of the Ottoman Empire? As I understood it, the Ottoman Empire was amazingly tolerant for its time.

I agree with daniel that some of the problems of the Middle East, like Africa, stem from the creation of nations by European powers. Granted, these tribes and ethnic groups would probably still be going at each other even if the borders were drawn differently. But maybe it would be a little (just a little) better.

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Saudis not only own big chunks of the US economy, they also hold astronomical quantities of US Treasury notes. If they were to sell off these notes, the price would plumet and the US would have to pay much higher interest rates to raise money.

Our government (read: G.W.) has chosen to incur the greatest national debt in history, and must pay interest on that debt. As the notes come due, new money must be borrowed at market rates. As long as the investors (including the Saudis) are willing to roll over that debt, we can limp along. But whenever they decide to pull out, we are flat out screwed. They've got us by the short hairs, plain and simple. And all because of our addiction to oil.

As for China, they may not be importing a lot of cars now, but it's only a question of time. And it's also only a question of time before they use up their own reserves of oil. With luck the crunch won't come in my lifetime. I'm 56 with a family history of heart disease and bad cholesterol, so maybe I'll luck out and die before the party ends.

And Sun__Tzu is right about the Ottoman empire. All religions were tolerated and got along, or at least left each other alone. It was only when the Ottoman empire fell and Britain drew the national boundaries and installed dictators to its liking that the trouble began.

20. Jeemz

Jeemz New Member