1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The worst car I ever owned...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by endoildependency, Oct 8, 2005.

1. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

I've had about 30 cars. Many of us can say the Prius is the best car we've had.

How about your worst? What was the problem?

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, 30 cars? Were you a used car salesman? :D

My worst car by far was a MG Midget. I bought it brand new at 18 y/o. What a total piece of junk. It got towed down the freeway more often than I drove it on the freeway. And that was with on 3,000 miles on it!

3. Sean05Opt6

Sean05Opt6 New Member

The first, and worst, for me was a Fiat 128 sedan. My brother sold it to me. In the 2 years I had it, I spent more than the purchace price in repairs. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I sold it. :D

4. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering the cost, my 2002 Subaru WRX was the worst. Talk about lack of refinement.....the drivetrain noise and shift action was the worst.

5. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never really owned a bad car -- but the first car I ever drove was my mom's AMC Gremlin. Visibility was awful, and at about 50-55mph, it would start shaking violently.

6. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

1941 Ford, 1950 Dodge (Fluid Drive!), 1955 Rambler Station Wagon,, 1955 Ford, 1955 Chevy (stick/overdrive with a 6-cyl.), 1962 VW Beetle, 1965 Corvair, 1957 Porsche, 1967 Corvette convertible, 1968 VW Beetle, 1968 VW Beetle convertible
    (ex-wife's), 1970 Chevy Nova, 1971 Chevy van, 1965 VW Beetle, 1977 Honda Civic, 1978 Honda Accord, 1981 VW diesel pickup, 1984 VW Rabbit, 1988 Toyota Tercel, 1977 VW camper, 1986 VW camper, 1989 Chevy pickup, another 1988 Tercel, 1986 VW camper, 1990 VW camper, 1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Saturn, 1997 Saturn station wagon, 1993 Saturn, 2001 Prius, 1997 Honda Odyssey van, 2002 Prius, 1988 Lincoln Town Car, 2004 Prius, 2002 Saturn, 1997 Toyota Paseo convertible.

Oops, 36. Only 14 were new. 1955-present.

7. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a tossup between my Fiat X1/9 that made me smile when it eventually caught on fire so I could total it, and a Jaguar XKE that seemed to always break on a Friday afternoon and take until Sunday night to repair.

8. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    1981 Oldsmobile Delta88 Royale Brougham. In the 11 months that I owned it I had to replace the transmission and the ECU. When I sold it it needed at least a new engine, steering column and master brake cylinder. It had about 120k miles on it and was never abused. The rear seats with their "loose pillow look" cushions were the most amazingly uncomfortable torture devices to sit in for more than about 2 minutes. You would have to sit in one to believe that anybody could seriously install something like that in a car and get away with it!!

At least the air conditioner worked great.

I was glad to be rid of it, have owned only Japanese cars ever since and have never looked back.

9. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Chevy Chevette. Had to take out the stearing coloum when we replaced the starter. When we were done, started it up, backedup, turned my head around and the steering wheel fell off :blink:

10. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I've owned about 35 cars in my life also....and have fond memories of the majority of them. Even if there where mechanical problems with some of them, it didn't really matter until my 'worst car ever'

2001 Cadillac STS :angry:

I paid close to $50 grand for one of the supposed finest cars on the road. It shook like the dickens between 67 - 78 miles per hour. Took it in 4 times to get it repaired. In the end, they said that was the way this car was designed...what a crock. When I tried to trade it back to them, they would only give me $7,000...that was 4 months after I purchased it new. :angry:

.....got $12,000 for it for at the Toyota Dealership and will never own an American car again....good f*&#'n riddance. Between GM and Ford, I don't know who is worse for quality and service...

11. soboy

soboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1972 Ford Pinto. It had a mechanical breakdown once per month that would leave me stranded. It drank oil like an SUV drinks gas. The a/c blew out hot air and the heat and defrost blew out cold. The inside door handle broke off in my hand, leaving a sharp, jagged edge perfect for slicing up skin. The driver's side windshield wiper assembly flew off the car in the middle of a downpour on the interstate at 70 mph. It vapor locked frequently in the summer and would not start. The oil pump died right after a tune up, which resulted in a blown engine. However, it was my very first car, so I still loved it.

12. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

1986 Chevy Cavalier sedan. Transmission was a total POS.

13. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Worst car I ever owned was a Ford Thunderbird. Forget the year, but it was right before anti-lock brakes became standard. Every time I had to stop quick the rear wheels locked up. But the worst part was the handling. Every time I made an emergency swerve the car would oscillate and try to go off the road. I sold it after about a year because I couldn't drive it safely.

That was the only car I ever felt unsafe in at any speed over 40 mph.

14. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

The worst piece of junk car I ever owned was an '81 Oldsmobile Cutlass that I bought new in 1980. I owned the car for three years and put maybe 40,000 miles on it. In that time it went through three transmissions, 5 starter solenoids, one differential, and it pinged constantly even on premium gas. The dealer said it was normal to ping.

15. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1976 Mercury Monarch

I'm a 30+ new car owner and the Monarch won the prize! I knew I was making a mistake when I ordered it, but I did it anyway. What a dummy! I owned it for less than a year and traded it in on my "close second" a 1977 Porsche 924.

I also owned a 1972 Pinto; the seventies weren't my best years!

16. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My first car was a bright yellow 1974 VW Beetle. The car didn't run right from the day we got it to the day we sold it. It always ran way too hot. It burned oil like crazy. It also only got about 22 mpg. It was back to the dealer and other service providers for the entire first year as the automatic choke didn't work. Twice, the points and condenser were fried. The first time it happened I was on my way to Las Vegas to see a friend. Fortunately, I was near Barstow, and was able to coast back into the city and find a VW dealer. The car was repaired but I spent most of the money I had for the vacation to fix it.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Renault LeCar, and I didn't even own it! But it gets dishonorable mention because it consumed so much of my time under the old shade tree.

Also sympathetic to the Fiats mentioned above. A friend of mine had his spark plugs glued in, and would have to stop and reglue when they popped out. You can't helicoil a helicoil.

18. mlkco

mlkco Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    By far Jaguar XKE. I bought it used very cheap from a rich guy ( my brothers boss because it had a valve knock. I removed the cam cover and freed up the valve in 10 minutes and it ran great.
    It handled poorly, wasn't fast, was uncomfortable.
    So I sold it for a high profit and the buyer still got a great deal.
    The buyer was Robert Caridine the actor.
    The English have never built a decent car.
    MG, Triumph, Austin Healy etc. Not that we do a very good job here in the USA.

19. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1978 Dodge "Quaking" Aspen.

The choke could never get adjusted properly and it was like riding a jackhammer when it was in 2nd gear, drive also in cold weather. The right front brake piston kept seizing. I had to carry a large C-clamp and an old pad everywhere I went so I could squeeze the piston loose. Usually happened once or twice a month. I replaced everything a couple times and it never got fixed. Steering leaked, on and on. The day it got stolen and crashed and burned was it's best day.

It had a 360 CI V-8 though and I still like it - it was my first. And no, no Fine Corinthian Leather, Mr. Montalban.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A 78 Diesel Automatic VW Camper Van. Nick name Van short for Van won't go. What a slug. I got the auto because my wife did not drive stick at the time. It blew a hole in the engine at 51K. It was like one of those cutout engines so you can see the inner parts although most of those were bent and broken. Just out of warrenty and we got hosed on it. I have since been told that it was a gasoline engine built to run diesel (this was just after the oil embargo) and it turned out I was not the only one to have a engine blow. I will never own another VW or go back to that dealership.