1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Theft a problem with hybrids?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by shifter, Apr 13, 2005.

1. shifter

shifter New Member

I have found that dealers tend to try to instill fear of theft when selling vehicles. I'm certain that LoJack installs net them plenty of cash, but is theft really that big a problem? Is an aftermarket motion sensor a good idea as an alternative? Thoughts?

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I suppose it depends on the area you live in, and what types of theft happen.

The prius is pretty-much invulnerable to the "dumb kid/druggie" type of theft. It's virtually impossible to start either the smart-start, or the regular model without having a valid key.

Of course, if the thieves use tow-trucks, or flatbeds, I suppose they could just pick it up and drive off, but that's a lot of effort for what really isn't that valuable a car compared to other luxury models.

I suppose you could also be carjacked if such things happen in your area, but again, it's a lot of work to go through for a car that just wouldn't have that much resale value in terms of parts.

With the Prius being pretty-much brand new technology, there's just not a demand for 3rd-party parts. Adding to this, is the fact that the car has a very long warantee, and that anyone hoping to service the car without the maintenance manual and the toyota-only dealer scantool is in for some extensive frustration.

I just don't see it as a problem. Sure, regular damage may occur, bumps, scratches, and of course, the type of jerk that keys cars for the fun of it - that sort of thing is far more likely than theft, IMHO.

Dave

3. shifter

shifter New Member

With gas prices approaching $2.50/gallon (regular) and used Priuses fetching more $ than when new, the worry over theft intensifies. I don't have a hybrid yet (but have driven a Prius and hope to drive the RX400h soon), but am wondering if a tracking device is a good idea. It sounds like there hasn't been a problem (Yes, I've read many of the posts in the links - thanks) yet. That makes me feel a bit better! :)

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    With rising gas prices, you can bet that the first time a Prius gets stolen, it will make the national news. "Hybrids become theft target as gas prices climb" There are three reasons to target a car.
    1 It's easy to steal- no problem here.
    2 It's parts are in demand- no problem here
    3 It's great looking- no problem here

Nope, I think we're safe on all three counts. The thieves take one look and say, "let's go find an aztek". The Prius, ugliest car you'll ever love.

5. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :mrgreen: hey! it's great looking in my book! :mrgreen:

6. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my car keyed by a teenager >.< Who the hell holds their keys at the keyhead with the key sticking out horizontally? Bas***d... Yes I was in the car when it happened but I didn't want to confront him cause I wasn't sure if the scratches were actually visible (they were)

8. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    I trust you "accidentally" ran over the ba$tard as you drove off :guns:

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"81221)</div>
    Actually, in Canada you are *not* supposed to confront a criminal. First of all, the courts and especially the cops really look down on a victim who doesn't act sheep-like.

Secondly, the cops and courts will *prove* that you were confrontational and actually "provoked" the attack. Has happened around here, as a victim you're screwed blue.

Since these young punks have little if anything to fear of a victim trying to defend him/her self, they really push themselves around. At the very least, you could have gotten beat up or knifed. Possibly shot too, if the punk was carrying.

It should illustrate how cocky he was if you were in the car and he *still* keyed it.

I firmly believe if you simply beat the living dog s*** out of these characters, they would never again commit random acts of vandalism. You just can't do that in Canada though, the police, the courts, and the "justice system" will crash down upon you.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually tried looking for his car and doing the same but couldn't find it (He had an Acura key but I couldn't find an Acura).

Well, unless he didn't see me since I was in the driver's seat and he keyed the passenger side. He also hit the mirror. Of all places, he chooses to walk through the passenger side. I might add that the van on the passenger side is parked one sided so it's narrow and he could've chosen the main road instead of walking in between cars. Damn it

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"81305)</div>
    Actually, in Canada you are *not* supposed to confront a criminal. First of all, the courts and especially the cops really look down on a victim who doesn't act sheep-like.

Secondly, the cops and courts will *prove* that you were confrontational and actually "provoked" the attack. Has happened around here, as a victim you're screwed blue.

Since these young punks have little if anything to fear of a victim trying to defend him/her self, they really push themselves around. At the very least, you could have gotten beat up or knifed. Possibly shot too, if the punk was carrying.

It should illustrate how cocky he was if you were in the car and he *still* keyed it.

I firmly believe if you simply beat the living dog s*** out of these characters, they would never again commit random acts of vandalism. You just can't do that in Canada though, the police, the courts, and the "justice system" will crash down upon you.[/b][/quote]
    The proverbial polite Canadian. In the US someone would have shot him. Not defending our culture, I rather prefer the more polite way myself. I am truly sorry about your car. Now if I could find the Bxxxard who put the dent in my car I would oil up my 12 gage. Or not, but I might harbor feelings like that. Sort of like coveting in my hart.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"81143)</div>
    Man, those kids must be on some serious dope. :lol:

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"81349)</div>
    Polite s***!

If we can get away with it, we beat the living dog s*** out of somebody who commits a random act of vandalism or worse.

Like I stated in my post, if the cops happen to "catch" you inflicting some street justice on a crook, then they haul *your* a** to jail.

See, here in Canada, Criminals are put on a golden pedestal and a spotlight is shone on them. Say a criminal does a Home Invasion style robbery and a homeowner just happens to have his son's baseball bat handy. And beats the tiny criminal brain into a substance resembling cottage cheese.

Well, this is now clearly a case of premeditated murder! Since the homeowner had a *weapon* to use. So the homeowner goes off to jail for +10 years. Yeah it does happen too.

All because a victim refused to go baaaaa like sheep, like the "police" teach them to.

You have to understand that such cherished rights as Private Property and Your Home Is Your Castle don't exist in Canada. Neither do most guns, only cops and criminals have guns now. And if you *were* to take a rare legal hunting rifle and pop a crook in your home, God Help You.

When I lived in Utah and Nevada, I rested quite well at night. I knew if the window alarm ever went off, I could aim my Glock 22 at the crook and cap him. Completely justifiable. Funny thing is, as I quoted earlier with the crime stats, I was *much* less likely to be the victim of an assault in SLC.

Despite all those evil guns down there.

And up here with "gun control" you can expect a shootout at least once a week.

Hmmmm.

14. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

There are really three different physical ways that the transponder can communicate with the Prius:

1. Dash mode: You put the transponder with a dead battery (or live battery) into the key slot in the dashboard. Some two way communication occurs between the key and the car, powered by the car by induction or radio energy.

2. Smart mode: the car sends out a radio signal that is heard by the transponder, which wakes up and sends some signal back to the car using battery power. There may be additional rounds of handshaking.

3. Old fashioned "clicker" mode: You are say 15 feet away from the car and press the unlock button. In this mode I'm pretty sure the communication is one way, from the transmitter to the car, and that the transmitter isn't receiving any signals from the car.

My theory is that only the third mode uses rolling codes. If you think about it, rolling codes are really a scheme designed for situations where there is only one way communication from the transmitter to the car. If there is two way communication available, then much more secure and robust "challenge response" security protocols can be used.

My theory is that in the first two modes (in dash and Smart), it uses a challenge/response two way security system, rather than rolling codes.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Mode 2 is really mode 3 with the car 'pressing the buttons' rather than you. Both 2 and 3 use the same receiver on the car.