1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Theory on newer cars burning oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Apr 14, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know we've covered this topic quite a bit but I just experienced this myself. I brought my car to my local mechanic to do an oil change. This is the same guy that's been doing oil changes for me for 25 years. Anyways, today as I was changing out my fog lights while the car was on the lift, I hear this humming sound coming from my engine. This was while the oil was draining. I asked him, "did you turn off the car?". He replied, "I can't remember, let me check". Obviously he didn't because the car is humming.

This guy has been a mechanic for 30+ years and for him to forget to shut off my car is something I'm guessing other mechanics can also make. Luckily I was able to catch this and shut off the car before any damage can be done.

I'm wondering if other mechanics have done the same and only will notice the car is on when the engine kicks on without oil in the engine. Since they the customer is not there to scream at them, they will quickly turn off the car and pretend nothing happened. Just fill the car back up with oil and give it back to the customer waiting in the waiting area.

What do you guys think? This definitely can cause premature oil burning.....

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let's hope and pray that the school kids doing the oil changes at Toyota are smart enough to shut down the Prius. The risk is there though. Easy thing to do with all the fancy push button stuff on cars today. I do try to watch what is being done when ever I release my car. I don't simply wait in the waiting room. I get up and follow it around. It is my car, I want to know what is happening while it is out of my hands.

I recall one time at Discount Tire, the guy checked the odometer on the Gen II. They were doing a balance and rotation for me. Walked out there afterwards and saw the dash lit up. I reached in and powered it down. Went in and asked the guy about it, he said "all I did was push the button twice." Big dumb a** didn't even know that when you do that the Prius is still on and in ignition mode at that time unless you put your foot on the brake when pushing the button the first time. The average person doesn't know how to operate a Prius. IMO, if you care about your Prius, watch what others do and help them when you can. That way everyone is on the same page and the knowledge we have learned can be shared with others.

Ron (dorunron)

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have never though about the possibility of someone leaving my car on while changing oil. Luckily the Toyota dealer and me are the only ones to ever change my oil. Of course, that is not to say that the minimum wage guys at the dealership could not leave the car on.

One more reason that I will continue to do my own maintenance on my vehicle !

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The guy that did my oil change is a ASE certified mechanic, he's not your average minimum wage oil changer. I'm saying if he can forget (because the Prius sounds like it's shutdown when it actually is still on), any other experience mechanic can forget.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Geesh....
    I worry whenever I drop my Prius off into the hands of anyone else.

But I never thought of that scenario.

I'd like to say, I have confidence that a Toyota Dealership Service Department would be competent enough to know how to turn off a Prius, and obviously do so before doing an Oil Change.

But these guys seem to have enough problem filling to the right capacity.

One thing I really hate about most if not all modern dealership service departments, and this goes beyond just Toyota, is the way they separate you from your vehicle.

You talk to the fabled "Service Adviser" who 1/2 the time I don't think knows very much in reality. Then your vehicle is driven away into the unviewable recesses of the service area.

Seriously, I'd love to follow my vehicle in...and be able to watch what is being done or not done, including turning it off and filling the oil to the correct capacity.

The scariest thing about the scenario you outline is that it could so easily happen, and you would never know.

I wonder if I insisted on being allowed to stay with the vehicle and view the oil change what the dealership would say? They would probably cite some liability or insurance reasons I couldn't be in the actual service area.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They need to have a fail-safe device, where the oil drain plug is connected to a device to shut down your car if it's not present.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Electric Me,

There is nothing stopping you from walking around outside and observing your car. I do it all the time. Yeah, they talk the insurance stuff, but will let you in if you ask nicely. Done it many times at more than one Toyota dealer. Thing is you need to have a good relationship with them. Its a people thing along with safety and liabilty...

Ron (dorunron)

The Electric Me likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think this is an issue only with hybrid vehicles like Prius. With a regular car, it is pretty obvious that the engine is running - and if it is not running at the time the car is raised up on the lift, the engine is not going to start running all by itself.

Regardless, the mechanic has to be clueless and unobservant not to notice that the inverter is making a whining sound while the Prius is READY, so I would not be so quick to forgive that behavior. Yet another reason to DIY Prius maintenance.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually the humming sound is not that evident when you are under the car. It's a very faint sound, quite difficult to hear with all the sounds around a mechanic. However the sound is very evident when you are under the hood with the engine directly in front of you. I was very lucky to catch this.

I'm not forgiving this behavior but I can understand how it can happen. I know how he did it because he had to position my car in the bay a couple times, going forward and backwards. When he was done and in the right position in the bay, he obviously forgot the car was still on.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reason # 432 for:
    "Why I do my own maintenance!"

I'm not aware that excessive oil use is a chronic problem for people doing their own maintenance.

I believe that most of the cars that suffer this malady do so chiefly because the oil level is only checked every 10,000 miles. ;)

YMMV

Mike500 and dorunron like this.
  11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Besides being bad for the car (obviously), it's also a huge safety issue for anyone working on the car. If this mechanic doesn't wise up around hybrids then it's only a matter of time before he loses a finger or two in a v-belt or something.

While being a hybrid is clearly the main factor, I wonder if having SKS also contributes this mistake happening? My Prius doesn't have sks btw, so I need to have the key fob in the slot to start. I guess this at least makes it more obvious to a visual inspection that it's unsafe. Personally I never work on the car unless the fob key is somewhere safe (meaning NOT in the slot).

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think this could be a learning lesson for everyone. This mistake can happen to anyone. Uart is right, safety of the mechanics will be an issue, not just the damage to the car.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It all kind of depends on the configuration of the service department you are taking your vehicle to..and where they happen to station your vehicle. Not always a convenient place or angle to view your vehicle from outside, and most are pretty uptight about actually letting you in or on the floor. I actually think that is by design.

They could design the whole service department with a large window. That way you could sit in the nice Customer Lounge AND watch your vehicle simultaneously. But basically the way most operate right now...they drive it away..then drive it back, You sign the estimate...you pay the bill.

But yeah, next time I think I'll ask.- Nothing to lose.