1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thermometer light question on my 2014 Prius v...

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Denverdavo, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Denverdavo

Denverdavo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Everyone!

I'm the new proud owner of a 2014 Toyota Certified Prius v now with only 4K miles on it. Everything has worked as I expected so far with one exception. I noticed under acceleration on the freeway the other day (about 3 miles into my commute) that the red thermometer light flashed a bit on the dash and then went off. I haven't seen it since. Any ideas as to what this might be about? I'm going to have it checked out soon, but wondered if anyone else has had this same experience and what it turned out to be.

Thanks for your help! I love these forums to get firsthand information from others with the same vehicles. :)

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a number of things on-board that can overheat, and 2 separate cooling systems. Having it checked out is prudent.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most of the warning lights are in the o/m i think. maybe a coolant issue.

4. Denverdavo

Denverdavo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! I have an appointment set for tomorrow. I'm heading to Death Valley later this month. Is the Prius known for overheating?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not at all, it could have been an anomaly, just an electronic glitch. if they find any codes, post them here. if not, you should be fine.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does this strike me as foreshadowing for a "The Hills Have Eyes" reboot?

Make sure this IS resolved before the Death Valley jaunt.

7. Denverdavo

Denverdavo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I had the dealer check this out and they looked but found no codes indicating the event I witnessed. They checked the coolant systems and said everything is fine. I haven't seen the light come on since that one time, so I don't know what else to do but trust in what they are telling me. I'm always open to suggestions. I must say the car has performed beautifully in every other way!

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Make sure something hasn't drifted down behind your back seats so that it blocks a vent.

bisco likes this.
  9. Denverdavo

Denverdavo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's interesting that you mention this vent issue. When I took delivery of the car at the dealership the salesman thought the vents were at the sides of the seats. When we didn't see them there, he said perhaps the 2014 didn't have vents! I remember seeing them along the sides of the rear seats on the 2015 model. So, where are these battery vents on my 2014 v? I saw vents under the seats, but I assumed these were for AC or heat to reach the back seat area. Is that incorrect?

10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery vent intake is under the passenger side rear seat.

11. Denverdavo

Denverdavo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for letting me know about the vent. I finally spotted it today with a flashlight! It's fully unblocked. Does it operate with a fan when needed? Are there any other vents I should be aware of? I'm really impressed with all the technology I'm learning about with these vehicles. They seem to be very well thought out! My first full tank running around the city has given 45 mpg and that's impressive as well!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a multi speed fan inside the ducting that connects the grille to the battery area. it runs based on battery temp as necessary. you may want to glance through the o/m, i know it's a lot, but there is some important info in there.

13. Denverdavo

Denverdavo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! I definitely will spend some more time with the o/m. It was a little daunting the first time I went through it. I'm sure I missed a lot! ;-)