1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

They have a prius for me. Should I take it or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by homebirtha, Aug 21, 2004.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha New Member

The dealer called this morning to tell me they have two Prius available for us to choose from if we're interested. A white #9 and a blue #7 (I think). Well, I really didn't want white, but I really want the nav so am leaning toward the 9. We've been waiting since March.

But here's my dilemma. I'm still not sure if we should get a Prius or not. We have three kids in carsets. We're currently driving a 2000 camry, very similar in size and the three kids just fit. We have made due when we travel, although we rented a Sienna this year for vacation and it was nice. But, I really don't feel right driving something that gets 23 mpg when something that gets 45 mpg (and way less emissions) will due most of the time. So I am leaning towards the Prius, even though the space in the van would be nice. We can always rent a van for long trips. and we have an old clunker pickup for hauling stuff. Why do I really need a minivan other than image? (I'm the only mom in my social group NOT driving a minivan or SUV. I'm kinda proud of that fact.)

My thought is that when they come out with the hybrid minivan in a few years, we could move up to that and the husband could take over the prius for a commuter car, or we could sell it.

My other thought is that if we get it and decide we just can't fit anymore, how would we do with resale? Do you think in a year or two, we would still do ok selling it? I mean, supply will eventually catch up, but it's going to be awhile. If we have a used one to sell, I would think we could find some takers.

Aaaaaghh. Help me decide. I wasn't expecting this phone call today, it's been off my mind for awhile. I have to let him know on Monday.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

What was your question? you seemed to answer all your own questions. Ya... get the Prius... Only and this is the only thing, if you can afford it. When gas goes up to match the 49$ a barrel oil the Prius will look like a very good decision, and if gas is still up in 2 years resale will be too.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Just a thought, in a social group meeting 3 months from now when your telling them your getting somewhere between 48_52 miles to the gallon they will be asking you to sell them your Prius.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty frantic and chaotic question, let me see if I can shed a little light without directly telling you what to do.

A quick search will reveal a recent thread that addresses car seats. I have 3 kids in car seat, 2 5 year olds in front facing and an infant in a rear facing...they fit....barely and the seats are not centered over the LATCH system anchors...the forward facing seats may even lean outward slightly and they all touch each other. If your kids are ready for armless boosters that may be an option that would leave a little more room.

I think a LOT depends on the type of driving and the kind of cargo you carry. If you don't do many long trips and rarely carry more than a few bags of groceries and the Camry is accomodating you then the Prius should do just fine as well. If you go to Sam's and buy bulk TP, paper towels and such then you're not gonna make it in the Prius unless you charish removing and replacing car seats on a regular basis to allow the seats to fold down.

If you get it, resale should NOT be a problem at all. You may not recoup your full cost, but I just do not foresee a resale problem at all.

You've got alternatives. The Escape will be out very soon (maybe this month)...if you even think you might want one get on a wait list NOW!! It should very nicely accomodate and get 35-38mpg. Another 6-8 months and the Highlander should be out--it even offers an available 3rd row seat...that's what we're considering in '06 to replace our Windstar minivan--which is what we tend to use for most family forays that will involve any significant distance (due to the comfort/room) or shopping (due to plenty of space for food/purchases and still having the stroller collapsed in the back. The stroller takes up almost all available space in the Prius with the kids in there so anything but a few jugs of milk are out of the question.

Hope that helps organize your thought processes a little bit. Best I can say now is to drive down there and make them let you install the car seats, stick all the kids in the thing and take if for a little test drive....I bet you can't walk away from it unless the kids just won't fit!! It's just that good a car!

5. mikeslavis

mikeslavis New Member

Here's the other thread...

homebirtha,

I think I started the other thread Evan mentioned. Find it here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3726

Note that after our testing with the Prius, we still consider it in the running. It did very well on its crash test scores where they included the optional airbags, and that's how we ordered it (Package BC). Safety is probably our biggest concern, followed by cost and environmental concerns. We got ~50 MPG in a Prius we rented for a day to try out, which had a total of about 3,000 miles on it. While safety is #1 issue, that's not to say we could afford the safest vehicle on the planet if it cost $200,000. There's a balance there we're trying to reach. Our configuration is 1 baby girl right now, hopefully another baby next year, and 2 dogs. We figure we can all pack into the Prius if need be, but we need to get smaller crates for the dogs (you can see the pictures in my post), and my wife can't sit in the back with the 2 kids (if they're in Britax Marathon/Wizard-style car seats), like she does now with our baby girl.

We are also considering a Toyota Sienna and are at this point waiting to get the specs on the Honda Odyssey for 2005...

Shamefully, all American manufacturers are outof the question...lack of side curtain airbags "killed" them for us.

All the while, we're still "in line" for our Prius...currently stuck at #38...

[email protected]

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Homebirtha:

Here are my thoughts:

First try out the car seats and see if they actually fit. Bring the kids along so you can see, not only the fit of the seats, but also how comfortable the kids are in them.

If that goes well, get the white #9. While I personally love my blue #7, and it's exactly what I wanted, you want the nav. You will get used to a second-choice color much more easily than the absence of a feature that you want. And you will only be driving it for a few years, until the hybrid van comes out.

As for resale value, once the supply catches up with the demand you will no longer be able to get over MSRP for a used Prius, but Toyotas hold their value well, and my guess is that a used Prius will do even better than Toyota average. Check out the depreciation on a Camry, and figure that the Prius will lose less value over the same time period.

My personal opinion: Don't buy the Ford. (FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily!) Ford has historically shown a callous attitude toward the safety of its customers. Remember the Pinto! Ford knew it would explode and kill people, but they still chose to sell it because they calculated that settling wrongful-death lawsuits would cost less than fixing all the cars.

If the Prius is large enough for your needs, you will love it.