1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things cops want you to know...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Dec 9, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    B)

This list was included in an email, from a coworker

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Awesome post PG4! Thanks!

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    humorous and informative. i like it. thanks :)

4. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 9 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]359751[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I never rear-ended a guy at Wal-Mart, but I did get a sodomy bust reduced to "following too closely." Had a great lawyer!

Check http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/copsknow.html

for the complete list. So much to know, so little time.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

There are so many unanswered questions in that....

The motorist is wondering the following:

Why did you pull me over rather than the Tahoe that's going 40mph faster than me, weaving in and out of all 4 lanes?

Why did you ask me what I think the speed limit is here? You're giving me a ticket either way, look at the posted speed limit on your own time.

As you're back in the car filling out the form, we're wondering why you took this job. How must that suck to do this time after time day after day. What a bummer of a job. There must be little job satisfaction when the flow of traffic is 20 over and you sit there and pick out one or two an hour to give a ticket and it's making absolutely no difference to anything. You're a glorified tax collector picking out one gazelle from the heard for a ticket today. In the end, the herd moves on with little impact from your effort.

There are so many of these, just trying to prime the pump...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

You're a glorified tax collector picking out one gazelle from the heard for a ticket today. In the end, the herd moves on with little impact from your effort.

There are so many of these, just trying to prime the pump...

I won't get involved in this discussion. I will only say that I am so thankful that some men do chose to be policemen. It is more often than not a thankless job. I only wish our taxes could afford to have more on the highways.

"Be careful. Its dangeroud out there"

8. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Dec 9 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]359910[/snapback]</div>
    That's easy, they're trying to get you to incriminate yourself "on the record". If you "don't know", you're not paying attention while driving. If you admit you went over the limit, you're admitting guilt, and the cop can testify about what you "admitted to" if you try and take them to traffic court over the ticket.

It's also worth looking at "Busted! - Citizen's Guide to Police Encounters"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=49...98&q=busted

Dave

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another very useful resource is Beat the Heat: How to handle encounters with law enforcement by Katya Komisaruk. The link is to Amazon. The book explains, among other things, how anything you say can be twisted out of context to be used against you, and how police officers lie to you about your options when asking your permission to search you or your property. Your best bet is always to politely and courteously decline to answer any questions, and say nothing but "I choose to remain silent. I would like to see a lawyer." And if they ask permission to search anything, you say, "I do not consent."

If I am stopped for speeding (which has happened three times) I accept the ticket and pay it by mail. (On one of those occasions I was only 5 mph over the limit and got a warning.) But I never make small talk with the officer and only answer direct and basic questions. Things like, What's the model and year of this car?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just b/c I'm bored....
    I get to see several sides of cops in my work and private life. In the ER they're usually 'on my side' helping with some criminal. We joke together. We nod knowingly when some idiot is giving a ridiculous explaination of how his "2 beers" couldn't possibly be responsible for a blood alcohol of 300 and the 4 cars he hit.

At the same time I see the jerk-offs who have a bad attitude and feel that they have to be in charge of every situation.

And I've had them give the old "Is there an Emergency" to my wife who was going 35 (usual posted limit) at 4:15 in a 20mph school zone at a school that had let out at 2:30. Now, I'm ALL for ticketing people who drive recklessly or speed around schools, and this happened to be the school my kids go to. But come on, there wasn't a kid in sight, a bus in sight and hadn't been for an hour. Then to give attitude and a ticket is just not going to be an effective tool to prevent kids from being hurt...it's punative and spiteful.

The cops need to go a bit further to affect a better attitude toward good nice normally law abiding citizens....a "gosh, I'm sorry to have to pull you over, but this is a school zone and the community's really been wanting us to crack down. I'll give you a warning, I see you've got 3 kids of your own in the back, but please be aware that the school zone hours are XX:XX-XX:XX." Have a good day...

It's a two way street on this, of course...and we the public need to show appropriate respect as well...get out of the way, don't 'buzz' them when they are at the side of the road, etc.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 10 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]360022[/snapback]</div>

It's amazing how the wording and tone can make everything so much more pleasant.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    FWIW, I've always gotten along well with the cops who've arrested me. They've been courteous to me, and whenever I've seen their reports, they've spoken well of me, as being respectful and peaceful.

But when I was working at the homeless shelter, I sometimes observed them being far less nice to perfectly peaceful homeless guys. While some cops are nasty to everyone, and some are nice to everyone, by and large being white and appearing middle-class makes a big difference in how the police treat you. And how the police treat citizens has a big effect on how those citizens view the police. In some big city ghettos, the police act more like a hostile occupying army than like friendly protectors.

13. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was one of the first people to own a second generation 2004 Prius and shortly after buying it I was driving from Utah to California when I was pulled over in Winnemucca Nevada. The first question the officer asked was what kind of car I was driving. I quickly explained a little about the Prius and after a few minutes we had the hood open and both of the officers were asking questions and checking out the car. After a about 15 minutes of chatting about the Prius I told them that if I was going to get home at a reasonable hour I needed to get going. As they were going back to their car I asked why they had pulled me over in the first place and one of them said, "well its a slow night here, I had never seen a car like yours, and you were going about 5 mph over the speed limit, but we will let that slide." I wish every other time I was pulled over could have ended that way.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 9 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]359751[/snapback]</div>
    In other words, cops have carte blanche to break laws which they consider to be unimportant.

:rolleyes:

15. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 10 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]360026[/snapback]</div>
    Right on! They say we are a "class-less" society. It's only because we've lost the art. Much to be learned here.

16. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This got me to thinking. At TWA I was designated as a Check Captain. Think of that as a sort of Pilot-Cop. It was my job to make sure the other pilots followed the rules and didn't add too much creative enterprise to their procedures. That's how we avoided making the headlines. I wasn't cheerful on the rare times I had to discipline a guy I might have known for thirty years, but I thought it more important to nip dangerous tendencies in the bud. Nobody thought badly of me when this had to be done. We were a family with values. And yes, I'd give my "brother" a "down" if he rated it. My passengers expected this of us.

If you don't maintain standards for your own group, don't expect others to respect them. Breaking the rules isn't a perk. Getting moved up to First Class once in a while was.

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I cant speak for the other departments, but ours as with the others have the 'pardon the slang' (ticket nazis) they are the rookies and the persons that were picked-on /bullied in school and are out to show the world they are someone. (they normally grow out of that stage in a cpl of years) ;) . Most of the seasoned officers would rather write warnings,(educating the public) I go through a warning ticket book a month sometimes one every 3 months. Its amazing at just how bad drivers are these days, driving through stop signs like there isn't one there, or speeding ie. speed limit is posted at 40 yet they all want to do 75. Thank god its a $500 fine to speed through school zones or most would do 50 in a 20 mph zone...

Day Shift
    80% of our work is report calls, 20% is patroling neighborhoods (for the patrol officer)

50% is working traffic crashes & 50% enforcing speed limits. (for the traffic officer)

Night Shift
    60% report calls, 30% noise complaint calls, 10% dui & traffic enforcement. (patrol officer)

I know this varies agency to agency, but its just a simple break down.

I really think they should require all drivers to take a road driving test every 5 yrs to refresh their memories.

Here in Fla. they made a new law called slow down and move over when approaching emergency vehicles that are parked on the side of the road with their flashing lights on. (this is to keep the emergency personel safe while tending to their duties). B)

During the holiday season is the worst for "stupid people", they go shopping and leave the items in plain view in their cars so the bad guys can pick and choose what they want to steal. Some drivers even leave the car unlocked for the bad guys. :huh: :lol:

If they can't see it they move on to the next car, we had a lady buy her kid a ps3 then go work out at a gym.
    she returned to her car 40 mins later and found the back widow shattered the PS3 that was in the back seat gone & her purse that was on the front seat was gone too (imagine that)!! by the time she called her CC companies to report the theft all 3 of her cards had been maxed out at the local mall.. whew what a save for her, was she the victim for the credit card usage since they where stolen? Nope she had to report the theft to the CC company and they take it from there, as the credit card company was the victim and they have ins to cover the money used and its up to the CC company to report the fraudulent useage to the police...

You know the other night I found a group of teens ranging in ages from 14 - 18 in an area known by the teens as a place they can go and use /do drug/alcohol /sex. Instead of running them all in I made the parents come and pick them up.... I was shocked that the parents were mad at me for making them pick up their kids at 12 midnite and most of the parents didnt know where their kids were.... One parent told me it was a waste of tax payers money for me yo be harrassing his honor student (his son had the case of beer in his car) But I must have planted it there because his son was an honor student ( thats what the father told me) most of the girls where supposed to be sleeping over at friends houses, but they where 10 miles away at a wooded park. one teen was from new smyrna beach her mom was out at the clubs and refused to come pick up the teen the mother asked that we take her into custody. the teen was 15 and had been picked up by someone else the wooded park was 1- hour and 30 mins from new symrna beach... Mom had no clue.. :huh: :mellow:

One teen didnt know his address or phone number we had to cross reference his name to get a number his parent didnt know their adress either thay had a PO box. (amazing) :blink:

I really wonder about some parents these days... (i guess they didnt read the directions on how to be a parent, if there was such a thing.)

We get the most calls during the week because the child refuses to go to school (this is not our job).

We have even gotten calls because the child refuses to eat the veggies :huh: .

I guess for most they rely on the police to parent the kids, in that case raise my 27k a year salery. Or become a parent and take control of your kids. The parent is responcible for thier kids from birth to 18 yrs old. that includes if your 16 year old keys someones car the parent has to pay for the damages..

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's also sometimes called corruption. An honest cop does not give special treatment to family members or fellow cops. If the purpose of a ticket is to make the roads safer, then you should be more strict, not less, with the people you care for personally.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 10 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]360087[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with the above.

19. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 9 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]359751[/snapback]</div>
    Do you arrest police that break the law?
    examples:
    keep some of the drug money
    use a drop gun
    Extortion
    Etc. etc. etc.

I hope the answer is yes. If its no, that’s the part I don’t get?
    I will continue to believe that the ones that say no are in very very small minority. Because I want to.

20. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 10 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]360087[/snapback]</div>
    I think its wonderful that you let us hear it from a Police Officer's side. Please continue. I respect the hell out of you.