1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things have a funny way of working out!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Renocat, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Over the weekend I posted about a miserable experience I had with a dealer that wanted to low ball me on my trade. I was pretty discouraged but walked away from the deal and am I ever glad I did.

This morning I stopped at another dealer just to see what they would give me for my trade. I expected them to come in low as well. Their first offer was $3000 more than the other dealer. :eek: I was thinking that was pretty good. I had told the salesman I was looking for a package #5. He said he had a #7 and a #8 in stock. I told him I didn't think we could come together on a price because of the higher cost of the #7.

He went to the used car manager and came back with another $1000 for my car! I was shocked. He ran some numbers and the monthly $$ was still too high for me. I told him "If you can get me $XXX for XX months with my interest rate, I will take the one sitting on the show room floor.

He went to talk to the general manager and came back and said this is what I could get.....it was the price I had said!

They actually gave me $3000 over what KBB said my trade in excellent condition would be worth. I am very pleased with my deal and can't wait to pick it up on Wednesday. :D :D :D

I also think that the first dealer has a scam going. The price quoted for a #5 at dealer A was actually higher than the cost of the #7 at dealer B :huh:

So tomorrow I close the loan at my bank and Wednesday morning at 9:30 she will be mine!

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent move. Again, shopping around has helped somebody get a Prius quickly and competitively.

3. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Jul 17 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]287666[/snapback]</div>
    I was definitly in the right place at the right time. There were at least 3 other people looking at the car I bought. There was a couple that was not pleased when my salesman slapped a "SOLD" sign on the rear view mirror. And even after the sold sign was put on it, other people were looking at it. I hope they pulled it off the showroom floor after I left... ;)

4. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Way to go!

I was born in Utica and lived/worked in Syracuse. Are you in that area?

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hey great job!

Looks like you knew the market for your Subaru after all!

I am happy it worked out for you and look forward to seeing more of your posts about your new car!

Mike

6. mootsman

mootsman New Member

I bought a new green 2006 (#5) Friday that was on the lot of our local dealer. I traded Black Book clean wholesale for my Subie against MSRP for the Prius. This was the first time I've ever paid anything near MSRP for a vehicle in my 40 years of buying/trading. Even at that they initially tried to lowball me on the trade...but I was armed with not only the dealer book value but the prices that my trade-in had brought at recent auctions (compliments of a car dealer friend). The trade value, plus the offset of sales tax on the trade, plust the $3150 tax credit made it acceptable to my wheeling/dealing nature. After only three days I have little to add regarding the Prius other than no disappointments -- well maybe with the upcoming hassle of getting XM installed

7. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Jul 17 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]287723[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, actually, I am halfway between Rochester and Syracuse. Bought my Prius at Dorschel Toyota in Rochester. Are you still in the area?

8. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Renocat,

How much did you pay for your Prius (package 7) compared to MSRP? Just curious what the market is like in the East Coast. I just paid MSRP for a Prius package 8.

Cheers.

9. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Jul 17 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]287821[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it depends on how you look at it. They either gave me $3000 over book value for my trade or they knocked $3000 off the Prius. B) Sticker on the window was $28,299

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What they offer you on your used car can depend on what they have, and what they want or need on their used car lot. If you're trading in, say, a Jeep CJ-5 and that dealer already has 5 Jeep CJ-5's on the lot and they've been there for a month, he's not going to offer you much. But if he has no CJ-5's and he knows someone who's been looking for one, he may offer you a premium for yours.

I think most dealers are still getting MSRP for the Prius, but there have been occasional reports of discounts. Like someone said above, it pays to shop around. A low offer on your trade-in may be the dealer trying to scam you, but it might also be because that particular dealer just cannot sell your trade-in and knows it'll take up space for a long time.

But congratulations on getting a good deal and getting into that Prius.