1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things Other Drivers Do to Make You Mad

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Walker1, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a post about a speeding ticket. I wonder what things other drivers do or do not do that really get you mad.

I have the following:

1) Do not use turn signals.
    2) On cell phones.
    3) Tailgaters.
    4) Driving slow in left lane on 4 lane road-( 2 lanes each direction).
    5) Aggressive drivers.
    6) DUI/Drug users-(Weaving, etc).

I have others, but these are the most annoying to me. What say you?

2. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    7. Not getting into the intersection to make a left turn at a busy intersection. They stay behind white line to wait for a gap in traffic which is obviously not coming, light turns yellow and then red and they do not make the turn.

3. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1.speeding to get in front of you and cut in to hurry up to get to the next red light and sit...
    2. accelerating like nascar at the light to get to the next light and sit...
    In order for this country to start to save gas we have to get rid of the GM/Ford Nascar mentality...

4. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Aggressive drivers on cell phones.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    * People who last second merge. They see the lane ends in 500 ft, yet still change into it and expect traffic to let them in up ahead (a me first mentality).
    * Similar to above - two cars that try to squeeze into the same hole. 1 and 1 people, like a zipper.
    * Tailgating
    * Relying heavily on brakes in traffic - I dislike when the cars behind me stop rapidly and come within inches of my bumper.
    * Talking and driving w/o hands free
    * Doing makeup or other grooming while driving.
    * Drivers in slow lane who don't let merging on-ramp traffic in (again, 1 and 1).

6. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    People who "drive" planes instead of cars :). htmlspinnr what is the mpg of that Cessna 172?

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    * People who cut me off, then drive slower than I originally was.

* When I'm on a major road, and the guy in front of me is turning right onto another major road. We have a green light, but he still COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP before turning. What's the deal with THAT?

8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Discourteous drivers. And, drivers that display that they think their time is far more important than anyone else's by inconveniencing others. A prime example is getting in front of me to make a turn when there's absolutely no one behind me. They cannot wait 2 seconds longer to make their turn. That's when my road rage kicks in.

I've quite the temper while driving. To the contrary, I'm very easy going throughout all other sectors of my life but I cannot tolerate rude drivers. Have any of you done this to me?!?!?! You better watch it. I'd even take down Desynch and his gun for this.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Mar 30 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]414852[/snapback]</div>
    1) Do not use turn signals.
    2) On cell phones.
    3) Tailgaters.

The same as your first three. I mean.. you walk out of the store with your hands free. You get in the car, dial the phone, start the car then start talking. I mean, what the hell were you doing before? You had your hands free. Could you call before you got into the car? Or since you're at a parking lot, couldn't you finish your call before you start off?

And then they try to back out with one hand on the wheel and then they decide to go slow cause they can't see and hold everyone up cause they're yapping away, totally oblivious to what's around them other than they're not going to hit another car or pedestrian.

It's kinda funny. I had this woman stare at me for "cutting her off" on the freeway. She had no idea she was doing 60km/h in a 90km/h zone cause she was yapping away on the phone and I had to overtake her, then change back and then merge off.

10. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One that really gets to me is when you come up on someone from behind and I pull out to pass and as I come along side of them they start to speed up, I speed up a little to get by and they speed up, they won't let me pass and if I do get by them they pass me right away and slow down.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Carnegie-Melon University released a study indicating that any form of engaging conversation caused the driver to focus on an increasingly tunnel-vision perception of the road in front of them. It didn't matter if they were on the phone or debating with a passenger.

But what annoys me the most with cell phones is that people tend to not turn their heads to the side on which they are holding the phone. So when someone approaches an intersection and wants to make aright turn, if they are holding the cell phone to their left ear, they are less inclined to completely check for oncoming traffic. This is only my perception and entirely non-scientific but watch for it. I think you'll see it as well.

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 30 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]414962[/snapback]</div>
    And thus, ear pieces aren't of much help other than to free their hands. I heard of this same study on the news. I have to admit that I use my cell phone when driving. I get business calls 24/7. I don't think pulling over to talk is the answer either or we'd have mass chaos on the road.

I'm actually in the process of investigating the feasibility of having the front desk answer my phones, which would help solve my problem. I just want my clients to be received by a human voice, so I have my phones directed to my cell when I'm out of the office. I can't stand calling a business and getting automated prompts. I figure most of my clients feel the same way.

13. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 30 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]414901[/snapback]</div>
    If you think that's bad- we had 2 hurricanes about 2 yrs. ago. Many traffic lights were out. What do suppose drivers were doing?? The law says: Come to a complete stop, then after looking carefully proceed.

Many drivers just sat there afraid to do anything holding up traffic and getting a whole bunch of people bent at them. Others never slowed down or stopped at all. What a nightmare for about a week.

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Mar 30 2007, 09:10 AM) [snapback]414873[/snapback]</div>
    15-21mpg during cruise, depending on altitude and chosen speed and version of Cessna :-( It's far better than larger planes though. Carrying 4 people that makes 72 people mpg though (not as great as a Prius but in line w/ SUV's and much faster and more direct for the tradeoff). What irritates me most is leaded gas they burn though and pilot controlled mixture which allows you to run rich (waste more fuel and higher HC output).

Also, because the planes are rented by the hobbs hour (meter runs when oil pressure is present) with fuel included (wet), it's "cheaper" for the pilot to fly faster and less efficient than slower and more efficient since slower might add 30 minutes to the bill on longer flights (about $60). If you own the plane, however, slower and more efficient is the way to fly if time isn't a factor.

Driving annoyances - I've got another set of annoyances that pertain to wide (2 car widths) right lanes at intersections at red lights where the white line has been removed for the purpose of turning right:

* People who stop in middle of the lane preventing people behind from getting by on the right for the right turn on red when safe.
    * People who stay to the left of the lane and then turn right w/o signaling.

Then of course there's the nasty AZ habit of people executing their left turns (unprotected) onto a 4 lane highway (2 lanes each side) with oncoming traffic executing right turns at the same time. In most areas I've been in, right has right of way, and left turns must wait for right to clear. However out here, doing so would prevent flow of traffic so most people justify the fact that left turns end up in the left lane and right turns end up in the right as "safe enough".

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Mar 30 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]414972[/snapback]</div>
    I remember when 100 LL fuel replaced standard 80 octane. That made for some very interesting approaches.

Tom

16. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Mar 30 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]414975[/snapback]</div>
    I hope for the days where I can say "I remember when they replaced 100 LL with premium MoGas or something Ethanol or hydrogen based. Flying got much cheaper after that, and pollution came way down". Won't happen for a while as the aviation industry moves at a snail's pace thanks to FAA certification requirements.

Still OT, but wonder if they'll ever *really* consider a bio-diesel type Jet-A (maybe Jet-V for Jet Veggie)?

18. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to the comments mentioned above, here are some of my other pet peeves:
    1) people who not only don't move curbside to turn right, but those who deliberately drift left before turning right,
    2) people who, at a red light, block the curbside area so people can't turn right,
    3) those who turn left that turn too early, then suddenly realizing they can't make the turn unless they either turn very sharply or enter into the right lane (the latter is more common based on my observations), and
    3) people who leave their turn signals on. I'm not sure what the pathophysiology is behind this particular behavior -- is it hearing loss, helium in the cranium, etc? :wacko:

19. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

In Pennsylvania, it's the law--go to the merge point and merge there, zipper style.

But no matter what, there's someone with a traffic cop mentality--all too frequently a trucker--who sits in that lane side by side with another vehicle, with a mile of empty space ahead of him, driving at 3mph up to the merge point. Nobody is going to go past HIM, by God.

20. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's amazing how in a thread like this "other" drivers are so conspicuously absent. ^_^