1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things that make you go "Hmm"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jun 13, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So I'm on a trip in BC. Took highway 99 out to the coast, descending on the Duffy Lake road to the coast. I got to full green after about 3 min. of decent. I was using "B" of coarse. Once the SOC reached full green the engine started to rev to 4000 RPM+ to keep my speed under control.

There are portions of this descent that level off (sort of) and the car will slow a bit, so I depress the accelerator pedal. The engine slows down when you do this under these conditions. Funny! Depress accelerator and engine slows.

I had a 5 minute bar at 0 l/100 km - no fuel used (in other words, no yellow bar)! I took a picture of the display. Honest, I was going around 80 km/hr at the time. ;) The surrounding bars were at 2.5 l/100 km. In fact for 30 min or so I didn't get any bar over 4 l/100 km! It's quite a descent! 18 % grades in some places.

Did I mention I'm impressed! The car handled this road very well! It corners well, accelerates nicely up the steep hills, and handled the rough road without any problems (this portion of highway 99 is quite rough - I suspect they plan to repave soon for the Winter Olympics). The only thing I did notice was the new Goodyear Integrity tires (OEM) have poor grip, particularly on gravel. I got the "anti-lock" light once when I was stopping for a picture.

I take this road a lot, almost always using it when I travel to the coast. The anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder) and the RX-7 got their best mileage ever on this road. The Prius didn't really improve mileage wise on it. Not exactly sure why, but it probably has to do with it's already efficient operation. The slower speed helped the anti-Prius more than the Prius, due to the anti-Prius having poor aerodynamics.

Great trip so far! I almost feel embarrassed when I fill up, going to give the clerk $20 for a tank of gas! It was in the $70 - $80 range for the anti-Prius. :)