1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Things that start to fail on an 8 year old Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HTMLSpinnr, Oct 27, 2011.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Around 8 years ago (10/25/2003) we took delivery of our 2004 Prius. It now has 125k miles on it, and some parts are now failing with "age".

Wife reported a few days ago that the CD Changer no longer works (it's not ejecting or moving discs).

Took the car in today for an emissions test and to my surprise, it actually FAILED due to a gas cap that couldn't maintain pressure. Was an easy $14 fix for a 3rd party cap (no tether), but something to watch for as the car ages.

After coming home from the test, I noticed another part that needs replacing. After sitting in the hot desert sun off and on, the side window trim is now cracking and tearing. All 4 side windows, the exterior lower strip of trim that "seals" up against the window to reduce water entering the interior of the door are tearing or torn. Anyone have any ideas what this trim is called? I started to look up replacement parts and the illustrations at most "Toyota Parts" sites are vague at best as to where the part sits and what it's really called - strip, belt, etc. I know it's not the inner surround.

Lastly, of course, a good portion of those "lovely" plastic clips for lower body panels are gone. That's just expected with age I suppose.

Anyone else have some age-related items happening on their older 2nd Gen models?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. Yeah you have a pretty extreme climate (someone had those melting brakelight fins)

Ours is 7 years with 160,000km (100,000 miles). The driver's door armrest is cracked (my fault. I put pressure on it lol) but not noticeable since it's under the fabric part of it. We have the Bisque interior and it's holding up ok for a beige colour but where it really, really takes its tolls are at the corners of all the thin fabric that covers the door panels and centre console box lid. They're worn down to the backing (and one reason why I went with leather this time around).

The driver's side foglight is cracked from the inside due to heat outside of warranty but we already identified that as a weak point around 2005 or 2006 on PriusChat when a host of cracked foglight threads emerged

The paint is holding up well with just the usual hairline scratches and bumps/dings. It still looks new from a normal standing distance.

Suspension seems ok, brakes seem ok (still on originals). Mileage seems a bit worse but a change in the normal routine makes it hard to compare when it was new.

3. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2005 with 125,000 miles. It's perfect except for the fuel door which got very stiff. I oiled it and it is better but still does not pop out when released. The round fuel door on the 2010 is better.

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That someone was me ;-)

I replaced one fog light housing due to a rock impact and then "made" mesh grilles to cover them to prevent that from happening again.

Bisque interior on ours is stained, but my wife is not so good at preventing the kids from "eating" in the car, and the spills/stains are there to prove it. It's well used. Some attention w/ a carpet shampooer has helped, but it needs more since some of the soda spills soaked into the foam.

The clear-coat is starting to craze/peel on the plastic trim just below the lower rear hatch glass (just above the Toyota emblem).

We can't seem to keep the rear cup-holder in place - the entire rear assembly pops out with heavy drinks - likely due to weakened clips.

Brakes are still original with a TON of life left on them. I replaced the struts somewhere around 95k miles - they needed it as the rears were leaking.

I thought mileage was suffering, however a recent highway trip shows 48mpg still. HV battery does seem to drain a bit easier, and the car is hesitant when it's really hot out (delay in battery power I suspect).

I thought I heard a CV joint crackling today, but it might just be a strut bushing that may not have been replaced when they did struts (they didn't replace the strut boots either and they're torn).

1 person likes this.
  5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I found that I have to "bend" the spring that pushes the door out back into place every so often so that it will pop upon release. Same goes with my 2010 though.

3 people like this.
  6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2006 Prius with 67,000 miles: replaced the driver's side front hub for a failing bearing. That's it.

Tom

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No failure points yet, but the armrests and center console fabric in my '04 Prius were looking quite disgusting. To my happy surprise, I was able to take the parts off and wash them to almost new condition.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 Prius, just over 8 years and 116,000 miles
    -My upper glove box, or the dash near it, is warped and it won't stay open.
    -Sometimes the rear hatch catch doesn't seem to completely release and I have to give a 2nd or 3rd lift to get it to go up.
    -I had an issue, a couple weeks ago, where the stereo wouldn't put out any sound. it spontaneously fixed itself and has worked fine after about 36 hours. Not sure what the issue was.
    -Sometimes the driver's door Smart key doesn't seem to be as responsive as previously--may just be an old battery in the fob though.
    -I'd fixed almost all the squeaks and rattles, but some new ones, where I hadn't had them before, have developed.
    -I'm missing those interior clips and the middle back seatbelt guide has come out and I can't get it back in.

-It could be my imagination, but the ICE doesn't seem to purr quite as smoothly as I remember.

9. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The cosmetic thing I noticed was the 16" unicorn antenna cracking at the base.

Got the $4 fix mentioned here and my Prius looks newer thanks to the 4" antenna.

Everything else is mechanical (tires, 12v battery, filters, oil, belt, that sort of stuff).

2005 Prius with just under 85,000 miles now.

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good points Evan:

- Dash warped and glove box won't stay open here too. Cause is springs that break out of the upper glove box and press up against the dash.
    - Valve train is a bit noisy on the ICE - I'm sure it could stand some clearance adjustment, but it requires the use of custom-sized shims which makes it a multi-day job or a dealer job ($$$)
    - I've noticed the hatch release can take multiple times, but that doesn't really get much better in the 2010.
    - Same goes for the FOB response - battery has something to do w/ it, but it seems lately that new batteries aren't as helpful either.

- Water pumps (both inverter and ICE) have been replaced at 101k and 123k miles respectively.

1 person likes this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My fix for that was to drill a small hole to anchor the end of the spring into the plastic. Worked pretty well on the 2004. This problem did not happen on the 2007, hopefully the design was improved for that model year.

1 person likes this.
  12. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    65K and 85K respectively for IC and ICE pumps here on my '05.

Do you ever hear your hv battery fan running on high? If so, more so lately than when it was new? You've got most of the risk factors (more than 6 years), mileage (more than 120K), and climate (HOT) for hv battery problems.

1 person likes this.
  13. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    125,000 miles and you can only find fault with the fuel door. Thats one dam good car.

14. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree.

15. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife drives it mostly - I do recall it on occasion. I should pay more attention, or add an Xgauge to my scangauge (sits in my 2010 usually) to see what the batt temps are sitting at. Of course, we're starting to cool off, so who knows.

If it is pending failure, wonder if Toyota will be interested in assisting w/ the replacement given the extreme conditions + age (so they can analyze).

16. JerryCS

JerryCS Prius camper with trailer hitch

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My first repair on our 2005 with 112,000: left front wheel bearing. It failed, so I replaced them both while it was in the shop.
    I see several folks have replaced their water pumps. What are the symptoms?
    Still stopping with the original brakes. About to replace the spark plugs for the first time.

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In our case, an occasional squealing or rubber smell from under the hood as the pump bearings began to bind, causing the belt to slip. There was also pink coolant residue spattering around nearby which indicated that the pump shaft seal was failing.

2 people like this.
  18. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just 54K on my 2007, and my ICE has been sounding a bit rougher, more warbley than normal lately as well. Almost considering having a leak down test just to see how things are faring.

When should spark plugs be replaced? I'm on the original set.

And +1 for cracked arm rest. I actually, ahem, rested an arm on mine to adjust seating positions and my elbow about feel through a hole!

19. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may want to consider cleaning the fan, as that can also result in battery overheating (and eventual failure):

Luscious Garage | Blog | Prius battery cooling fan cleaning, P0A82

20. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Disk brakes resurfaced @60K miles due to pitting from road salt and lack of use for keeping the rust and salt off. Pads in excellent shape.

ICE pump replaced under (extended) warranty @82K miles. Inverter pump replaced via recall @75K miles.

I'd have been better off putting the $ for the extended warranty in the bank and using it for repairs as needed. Only another 18K miles left on the ext. warranty while repair $ would have come to < 1/2 what I paid for it.

[edit]Forgot...replaced serpentine belt @75K miles.[/edit]