1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Think I will need an amp?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mclieb, Aug 9, 2007.

1. mclieb

mclieb New Member

My new Prius only has 200 miles on it and i am very dissatisfied with my sound quality. I am looking to upgrade my speakers to a nice pair of JL speakers (not JBL), and was wondering if I might need a new amp too. I have the lower package so I do not have the JBL system. I am not looking to rattle my car to pieces or have my skin blown off my face, but I want a good loud volume with clarity and good bass. At Tweeter the sales people said I most likely would not need the amp, but I trust Prius owners who have know about this stuff more than the people at Tweeter. What do you think? I am currently satisfied with how loud the system currently gets if that helps anyone come up with some ideas.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try it without an amp and see how you like it. Any half-decent aftermarket speaker is going to sound significantly better than the stock speaker

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every good stereo upgrade starts with the amp.

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 9 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]493380[/snapback]</div>
    I'd go step by step. It's easier on the wallet and better in the long run.

Start with some nice speakers, but without an amp. You'll notice some improvement for sure,
    yet you also know that the speakers aren't being used to their fullest. So after listening to that
    for awhile you may decide it's time to get a nice amp. Your speakers then come alive. But now
    you can hear that the bass is lacking. So you want to get a sub. And on it goes... :)

I guess the best thing to do is whatever component you choose to get, don't cheap out.
    Give yourself a bit more power than what you think you might need. It's always better
    to play a powerful system softly than the other way around. And should you want to
    UPgrade you don't have to throw away anything.

5. mclieb

mclieb New Member

Thanks for the info guys! Great help.

Oh, one other question. Do you think new speakers will draw a lot more power than my stock ones giving cheating me out of some gas mileage? I am assuming the difference will be unnoticeable, but worth asking.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They should have the same power draw as the stock speakers, if they are the same impedance. I think the stock speakers are 4 ohms, and any speaker set you purchase will likely be 4 ohms as well. The power consumption isn't much to begin with anyways... I doubt the stock headunit can push anything more than 15 Watts RMS.

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since you mentioned JL speakers. I have the ZR650 components in my front doors. Two issues you need to be aware of:

1. You'll need to get a Universal Mounting template ($10/pair) or build your own baffle to mount them.
    2. Be sure to have the connectors on the bottom when you mount the driver. That way when you roll down the window the glass won't hit the wires and crush them against the (much deeper) magnet (and/or disconnect them -- as happened to mine).

Otherwise, they're very decent speakers and, as an added bonus, the tweeters fit perfectly into the existing housing without requiring any modification.

8. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I started with adding an amp and speakers to a JBL system. I replaced all of the door speakers and tweeters and added an amp in the hatch compartment. The sound quality was an improvement but it was still a little muddy I couldn't get all of the highs and lows at the same time, it was either one or the other. I went back to the installation store and we tried to tweek the sound but were unable to make it work. We then installed a little box underneath the existing JBL amp that takes all of the signals and runs them to the amp in the back. This little box made all of the difference, this is the ticket! it is made by Audio Controll and it is model LC6i. After listening to the quality of the sound and the separation of the highs and lows I installed a subwoofer and now I am really happy with the results. The only problem that I have but can live with is that the front to rear fade doesn't work the way it normally does. Now it fades from highs to lows not front to rear. Maybe someone out there knows how to fix this?