1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinkers vs. knuckle-dragging followers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-geiger/y...an_b_43580.html
    Yo, Republicans, Micromanage This
    Bob Geiger

You've got to hand it to Republicans: When they get a word or phrase that they want to push into the public consciousness, they not only repeat it with unparalleled discipline but the parroting of the nonsensical phrase du jour starts at the very top of the party and goes right on down to your local GOP dogcatcher.

"Cut and run" was useful to them for a long time until they discovered that they were accusing the vast majority of the American people of being cowards -- so they dropped that one after voters used the last election to tell them to shut the hell up. The latest word you hear coming out of every Republican's mouth is "micromanage," as in the Democrats in Congress are trying to "micromanage the military" when it comes to the disastrous effort in Iraq.

Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Mike Duncan sent an e-mail blast to his knuckle-dragging followers on Thursday and he had it right up there in the first sentence:
    Hey, if I didn't know better, I would think that someone was giving all of these deep, original thinkers talking points and that they were all ordered to say the same thing over and over again.

Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) did his best to smack them down and remind Republicans that when we have a Commander-in-Chief with the brain of a 12-year-old, who won't listen to anyone else, it's the responsibility of the Congress to exercise some adult supervision.

2. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd like to see the letter...it didn't appear in your post.

That being said--it's called setting up a framework, or in simpler terms, propaganda. Plain and simple. And Rove and company are MASTERS at it. After all, they succeeded in manipulating the public with it for six whole years. I guess that's the time it takes for folks to "catch on."

3. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :lol: OT - my first thought was this was something against snowboarders; the skiing elite call snowboarders "knuckle-draggers" because of their stance on the boards sometimes, and also as a description of their mental capabilities. I understand the first, but will argue the second to the skiers who believe the mountain is "theirs" and that the snowboarders should have "their own mountain" - both my kids are honor roll students and well mannered, and they snowboard.

And yes, my honor roll students can beat up your honor roll students. :lol:

P.S. And while my post is severely OT, let's count how many posts it takes to turn it to "evil and good"....

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is clearly and Evil vs. Good scenario ... :lol: :D

Sorry, Zen. I couldn't resist. I'll go back to reading what other people write now.

5. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Mar 16 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]406921[/snapback]</div>
    Sigh. Just one. :(
    :lol:

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 16 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]406883[/snapback]</div>
    Woops, sorry lively. I've edited post to reflect link. Going too fast this morning!

7. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well we didn't exactly get the whole e-mail without the commentary. But its the daily talking points without the spin ;)

But look at it this way: if you really want them out of the office in 08, they should continue to make mistakes and misread the voting majority...although this will undoubtedly cost more lives, and cost allot of money so darn it that won't work either <bows head>

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 16 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]406883[/snapback]</div>
    Bahhh, Hahhhh, haaa, haa. :lol:

Thanks for the link Marinjohn! Sure hate to think you were trying to hide something there. ;)

Didn't have to read the linked article to understand its gist. [although I did]

All you needed to do is hit the 'Bio' link under the authors picture if you wish to understand everything you needed to know about what was written.

“Bio: Bob Geiger -
    Bob Geiger is a writer, activist and Democratic operative in Westchester County, NY.â€

I'm not making this up, go and click the links yourself. :eek:

He could have just as easily wrote, “The DNC uses the same method of releasing talking points to its constituency, in an effort to disseminate a united message to the media and public at large.â€

Oh wait, what am I saying. :huh: He couldn't have 'just as easily' wrote that. Noooooo . . . he probably would have gone into a fit of epileptic spasms trying to write something politically neutral. :lol: :p

Nice post. :rolleyes: Same ol' chronic, biased, crap. <_<

9. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That was a bunch of garbage.. Calling the President a man with the mind of a 12 year old? And that guy is some "writer/activist"?

Laughable.

10. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    all I want to quote is

"...work to put food on your family" :D

11. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bushisms are great. He's so smart he makes up his OWN words... ;)

12. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Mar 16 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]407064[/snapback]</div>
    Well, duh. Without even looking up Geiger's name, you could tell he was an anti-Bush person.

Doesn't mean that it's not true. And you're right...the DNC does it, too. They just don't have as much face time with the public as the administration does. And frankly, the Busheviks are extra-special good at the propaganda.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 16 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]407079[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, and the Clintons are rank amateurs. I get it. ;)

My point . . . why do Marinjohn and those of his ilk (on both sides of the spectrum) feel the need to start a new [term used loosely] topic with crap like that?

“Hey people, read this!
    Some liberal political operative wrote something negative about conservatives.
    It's PROOF!!!!â€
    :rolleyes:

14. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Mar 16 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]407109[/snapback]</div>
    I think he was just passing on something he found amusing. There was no point to be made, so I'm not sure where your concept of "proof" comes in.

Settle down, Beavis. ;)

15. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 16 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]407067[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree. It's a crass generalization that demeans 12 year olds.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 16 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]406855[/snapback]</div>
    Gee, it didn't stop them from trying to micromanage education through No Child Left Behind.

Maybe they should institute No Soldier Left Behind.

Each unit will be assessed yearly using a standard scantron sheet and multiple choice questions. Iraq must achieve total peace and independence by 2014.

If there is no adequate yearly progress in the Iraq, the soldiers can opt to deploy in another country. Military funded will be reduced and if the Military doesn't improve, they'll be replaced with a for-profit Charter Military Service using a voucher system. Probably provided by Halliburton.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 16 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]407145[/snapback]</div>
    You're right lively, when I want to make a point I either pre or post the quote with my own point. We all know I also read right-wing stuff daily too. For a while I was posting stuff I found interesting from rightie web sites and rarely did any lefties comment/whine. Post from a left winger and the cons whine and ridicule. Shows you true colors doesn't it? <---------POINT

18. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 17 2007, 12:57 AM) [snapback]407252[/snapback]</div>
    I think he was just getting his bloomers in a wad because the Busheviks on this board tend to post the same type of opinion piece from their side and profess it "truth."

BTW--I thought it was interesting. I've been thinking lately about propaganda, lopsided debates, etc., and the negative effects on our society. Just finished George Lakoff's book "Don't Think of an Elephant."

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 16 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]407259[/snapback]</div>
    I think you will find about a 10 to 1 ratio in favor of the demoncrats and leftards but now that you mentioned it, I think I will.

Wildkow

20. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 16 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]407294[/snapback]</div>
    Wildkow, for someone who carps repeatedly about what you call "hate" from people who are simply expressing opinions that conflict with your beliefs, your own discourse reeks of the stinking bile. And that ain't hatred, brother, that's a fact.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA