1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

thinking about a Prius- some ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nancynat, Apr 1, 2006.

1. nancynat

nancynat New Member

My car was totalled a couple of weeks ago and I need a replacement asap. I am sick of how much I put out in gas so wanted something with better mileage. I had a Camry which I loved except for the mpg. I was pretty close to going with a Corolla and then started to look at the Prius. I have not driven anything yet- just looking at prices, etc online.
    I have a few ? for the experts

1- I am a tightwad- this is my only motivation for getting a Prius. I go thru alot of gas. I would not buy a new Prius because of the price(and I can't go without a car much longer). So, what is your opinion on used Prius? I see a 2001 w/56K and a 2002 w/30K in a price that I am willing to pay(about 5K more than a comparable Corolla).

2- I live in Wi and am concerned about the reported poorer gas mileage in cool weather

3- reliability and maintenance $$. My Camry had 110K on it, drove like new, and never had anything done to it other than brakes, tires. My DH changed the oil. I loved that. I don't want to get a car to save $$ and then pay out the wazoo on maintenance or repairs. Even if a used Prius comes with some kind of warranty, it would not take me long to get up to 100K and be on my own. I am not the type to trade in every few years- I would drive it til it died.

4- I am probably drving about 25K per year and gas is up to 2.65 here. Is there a place to do some kind of cost comparison calculation?

5- I live in an area where they force the ethanol gas down our throats- is that bad for the engine?

6- is insurance much higher on a Prius?

thanks for any help. I did some reading, but don't have alot of time to do as much as I normally would do before buying a car.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    *ALL* vehicles get lower MPG during the cold season, so focus on Lifetime averages instead.

10% ethanol isn't the slightest bit bad for the engine. I've got just a little under 111,000 miles of experience using the stuff in Prius. So it is definitely a non-issue. Again, focus on Lifetime values.

With my Classic Prius, that average using 10% ethanol in Minnesota for 3 years was 45.4 MPG.

With my HSD Prius, after 2.5 years now, it is currently at 48.6 MPG and destined to climb as the warm season returns.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nancynat @ Apr 1 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]233615[/snapback]</div>
    1 How well you do with MPG is dependent on how you drive, and how you have to drive. Freeway, city. You need the history of the car
    2.You can improve your milage with a block heater and radiator blocker.
    3. The maintenance has thus far been minimal. There are a number of G1 Prii (what you are looking for) that have gone over 250K. Change your own oil sure. Brakes need less maintenance. If you can get a 04 it may be better. Drive it into the ground.
    4 I am not sure about that, but the higher it goes the better you will do. Read up on how to get the most out of this car.
    5 We get E10 here in the winter and no problems. I am not sure about E85, but I would not go there. E10 is ok.

4. nancynat

nancynat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Apr 1 2006, 09:32 PM) [snapback]233620[/snapback]</div>
    whats the dif between a classic and a hsd? 2001 and 2002 models?

thanks for the help

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    couple things i can toss in here.

as far as wi driving- remember that any corolla or camry takes a big mpg hit in the winter too. partially due to temperature and partially due to winter gas. the flip side is that in the summer you don't have to use the a/c as much as we do in the south, which evens the score as far as lifetime mpg goes IMO. ;)

insurance depends on your record and where you live and etc. but for comparison our 1990 buick/1987 camry liability only policy cost around $70 a month, now with 2005 prius/1987 camry with full coverage on the prius costs $108 a month.

where in wi are ya btw?

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nancynat @ Apr 1 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]233635[/snapback]</div>
    HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive) is model year 2004 and later. Classic is before that.

Check out John's website if you want to learn more, http://john1701a.com/

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

8. nancynat

nancynat New Member

OK- I did it using 30 mpg and 50 mpg and got about 1K per year, BUT, who knows where gas prices are going?? I heard $4 a gal is coming our way. I think the Priuses I am looking at must be very basic. I don't think they even have CD players. I will have to admit, I am probably a 'bad' driver- no coasting to the stoplight for me, and I step on the gas as soon as I get the go ahead. I certainly find it hard to drive the SL.

9. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nancynat @ Apr 1 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]233615[/snapback]</div>

the older model prius have a good repair record so far but repairs would be very expensive.
    I would only buy a used 2004 or 2005 prius with less than 36K miles.
    And make sure you buy the extended warranty before the 36K mark ($980.00 on line)

with the $3250.00 tax credit alot of 04-05 prius owners will want to sell and get a 06.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Investment writer Scott Burns has a fuel economy savings comparison tool at http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/bus/scottb...iciency_cal.htm He also has a column on this topic at http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...urns.a9401.html

(You may need to register for those sites. Or, to get a throwaway anonymous login for them see http://www.bugmenot.com/ . There enter <http://www.dallasnews.com> as the url.)

There is a "true cost to own" calculator at http://www.edmunds.com/apps/cto/CTOintroController .

I suspect you will find that the total cost of ownership would be smaller with several other small used cars than with a used Prius, unless the cost of gas goes a lot higher than $3/gal. Buying a car that does not require a loan helps a lot.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Some Gen I owners like them better than Gen II. Personally, I dislike the sedan body style (regardless of model). The liftback provides more cargo space. But if the price is right, a Gen I is still an excellent car, and probably much better than a similarly-priced conventional car.

For insurance cost, there's no substitute for talking to your own insurance agent. It'll depend on repair cost, reliability history, theft risk, and your own driving record and risk category.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nancynat @ Apr 1 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]233615[/snapback]</div>
    Used Prius are still expensive, plus you don't get the 2006 tax credit. As for going much longer without a car, our experience in Michigan is that you can get a new Prius very quickly if you are not picky about colors and location. We have had two opportunities in the last month to buy one from stock and drive it off the lot. We waited only because the timing was not right for us.

13. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syncmaster @ Apr 2 2006, 03:27 AM) [snapback]233732[/snapback]</div>
    Although I, too, would be looking for an '04 with less than 36K that's somewhat of a "bargain", we're still talking about $18-20K for that. What I'm hearing nancy say is that she's looking to pay more on the order of $13-15K (although she (?) hasn't said that herself).

If she's willing to be patient and shop carefully, I think she can find more of a
    "bargain" '01-02, and with low mileage, too. On autotrader.com you'll see private party sales with strikingly low mileage and/or some with surprisingly low prices. But the likelihood there's one like that close by is small, so then the question is the willingness to travel---including the ability to have the car looked at by a Prius mechanic and the willingness to back off if something looks bad or even fishy, going home empty-handed. In my own situation, that's doable and an effort worth making, but it may not be hers.

Of course, before I'd spring for, say, $300 for air fare and a night in a motel, it'd have to sound like a good car on the face of it at about the 80% level---low mileage, records of all service/repairs, original owner, clean Carfax, etc.

Just my take. I know they're out there. Question is if you can go get it. :huh: