1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about a Prius...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jennyf, May 26, 2012.

1. jennyf

jennyf New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I'm thinking about purchasing a prius soon. My price range is going to be around 16-18k so from what I can tell I am going to be getting a car with higher milage. I travel at the very least 1,000 miles a month should I be concerned about buying a car with 70k+ miles on it?
    Also this will be my first time buying a car from a dealer so if you can give me any advice i would appreciate it!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    99% (guesstimate) of prius should go 150-200,000+ miles without any major work. of course, there are always things when you get near the 100,000 mark like struts, serpantine belt, oxygen sensor, brakes and the like that can run you into the hundreds of dollars in repairs. and if your in the unlucky 1%? you could be looking at $5-7,000. for something like a bad inverter which isn't covered beyond the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A pretty nice Prius c 2 lists for $19,900 brand new. Even if you do not buy new, use the fact that you could, to beat down the dealer's price. (If it is not a Toyota dealer, threaten them with a $18,950 Prius c 1. (Unlike the c 2, you do not actually want a c 1, but it is a good bargaining position)