1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about buying a used Prius - New forum member

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joefrompa, Jul 23, 2007.

1. joefrompa

joefrompa New Member

Hello all,

I recently have begun a longer commute and some of my driving priorities have changed. I own a 2006 Honda Civic SI, which gets about 30 mpg on my commute. I've begun to commute 32 miles each way, about 10 miles of which is stoplights and 20 miles of highway.

My car, while a wonderful car that handles like a dream and still sips gas (by my standards), is not necessarily satisfying my desires at the moment.

I am considering switching to a Prius, with the hopes of getting ~47-50mpg. My wife has been wanting something with a little more cargo flexibility, so I would probably also look for a bike attachment of some sort for our two bikes (i've seen Prii with this).

I am not concerned about the whole "financial sense" aspect of this; I've done the math, and, assuming 45mpg on the Prius and 30mpg on the Civic (which is conservative on the Prius and hopeful on the Civic), I would save about $60 a month in fuel alone. Not even incorporating the fact the civic takes premium.

My questions are really: Do you think the Prius is a good move for a highway commuter? Is it a good move for someone looking for the cargo flexibility of a hatchback (compared to say, an Audi A3 or VW GTI 4-door)? For anyone who enjoys cars with a sporty flair, does the Prius satisfy you with it's different driving challenge?

Can a Prius equipped with HID headlights (and the associated package) be had, used with ~20-30k miles, for around 20-22k? Are there significant differences between 2004/2005/2006/2007 models that should sway a potential buyer towards one model year over another?

I've done some research and searching, and I'm a car enthusiast by nature, but the answers to your questions (while some might be biased) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Joe

2. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joefrompa @ Jul 23 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]483759[/snapback]</div>
    You should easily get at least 50 mpg on the highway. I averaged over 50 mpg doing 75 mph up and down steep mountains, A/C on full blast, with a passenger and luggage during my week long 1500 mile test drive.
    There is A LOT of space to put stuff in the Prius. You can fold the rear seats like in a van and so the cargo area becomes really huge.

A Prius is no sporty Honda! However, you won't care (check out my post on this forum The Magic of Prius). I've a couple of cars which can do over 180 mph, I constantly speed and drive like I'm on an Indy race, yet in the Prius I feel no need for speed. You'll see what I'm talking about once you get in it. Like some people here have said, it's like a religious experience. You feel relaxed and will often find yourself driving below the speed limit. The need for speed morphs into the need for higher MPG!

And if you want handling similar to a Honda, just get the Touring model or instead do your own "Touring" version - replace the suspension, get a stability bar, better tires and you'll be in business.

Also, some come with Vehicle Stability Control which can make a race car driver out of a novice. It's amazing technology.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joefrompa @ Jul 23 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]483759[/snapback]</div>
    You'll love the Prius period. In 2005 Toyota made the computer less sensitive to wheel slippage. Some of the optional stuff became standard in 2007. Around here there aren't many new or used for sale so no advice other than to keep looking and consider a 2008.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joefrompa @ Jul 23 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]483759[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Joe and welcome to PriusChat!

Here are my responses in point form.. hopefully this method would be easier for you to read and scan through than paragraphs

- at 70mph, I get 47mpg. So as long as you stay below 70mph, you should be able to get 50mpg.

- The seats fold flat in the Prius and if there's only two of you, you don't need a bike attachment. 2 full size mountain bikes can fit inside the Prius. (Try it out if you don't believe me).

- Fuel isn't the only thing you'll save on. The brake pads won't have to be replaced as often (after 53,000kms of mostly city driving, I'm only at 75% left). Also, there's no alternator to replace and the coolant will last 100,000 miles before the first change. Check your local insurance company. There might be rebates and discounts on premiums if you own a hybrid.

- If you want a sportier drive, the Touring edition might help (although that's only available on 2007 models). The other ones have stiff (ish) suspension but the Touring will probably be closer to your Civic Si.

- Might I add that the Prius (because it's a Toyota) will most likely be more reliable than the Golf/A3. Those two usually have electrical problems (power windows, door locks etc). So nothing mechanical

- The hybrid components are warranted for 8 years/100,000 miles (up to 150,000 miles in CA and CA-emission states)

- HIDs are an option. It's packaged with the "safety" package on 04/05 models with VSC and side/side curtain airbags. Naturally, fully loaded ones will have HIDs too. In short, if you want to quickly tell if a used Prius has HIDs or not, look for foglights. They're packaged with HIDs.

Differences between model years:
    - adds two overhead clips to the headliner
    - later models have had an ECU update (although technically all models prior should've had it done anyway)
    - some packaging difference. It's down to 6 packages compared to 9 for 2004

- new headlights and taillights
    - new higher resolution screen for models with JBL audio system
    - ECU update for traction control - allows wheelspin before cutting in
    - rear seat lowered by 1"
    - new dashboard and door capping material - more scratch resistant
    - CD-TEXT no longer available while vehicle is in motion
    - availability of leather interior
    - occupant detection system for front passenger airbag
    - tyre pressure monitoring system is standard
    - upgraded JBL audio speakers
    - silver trim instead of satin finish
    - new exterior colours (Magnetic Grey, Silver Pine Mica, Barcelona Red Pearl)

- side/side curtain airbags made standard
    - Touring Edition available --> includes "Euro-tuned" suspension, larger rear spoiler, 16" alloys, P195/55R16 tyres and I believe HIDs are standard on those models

5. upfisk

upfisk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Joe,

I decided this year that a Prius was the car I needed. New seemed to cost the same as used so first I looked at new, forgot the governor got her cut first, then the initial license plates are expensive, so a new Prius is about $5000-$7000 more expensive than used. Looked into used Prius and decided that 2004 was a new model for the Prius with some potential problems that occur with all new model releases. Decided that 2005 and newer model years would be better. Ended up buying 2005, with package #6, for $22000 with under 9000 miles on the car. Check Craigs List in cities all around you for used cars for sale by owners. I traveled 300 miles for this car but there were local cars of the same year, same mileage, but only package #2 available. You can find used Prii for under $20,000 with under 20,000 miles on them.

The handling is nice, not as good as other cars I've driven, but surprisingly nice for a little commuter car. Mileage is consistantly 50 mpg. It's a cute car.