1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about Installing aftermarket Navi on a Prius w/ Navi

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jay-P, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Jay-P

Jay-P New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is my first official Thread so take it easy on the Newbie! haha

I just bought a used 2005 Prius w/ Navi and JBL speakers 3 weeks ago to use as my daily vehicle so I can cut my expenses on gas. My other car is a 2006 Acura TSX with Navigation that I drive on the weekends. I am pretty happy with the Prius but there are a few things I wanted to fix with the Navi/Audio system to make it work like my TSX in terms of functionality. First, my stock radio "tune" dial is stuck so I cant adjust the bass/trebble so it needs to be replaced or repaired. There is also a lack of AUX or Ipod input on the 2005 models, and the restriction of using the stock Navigation while driving, and finally the DVD I have is old from 2005. I know all these issues can be fixed through mods. I estimated I would spend $400-800 with installation (Swap out or repair headunit $100-400, AUX/Ipod input $75 + Installation, Coastal Tech Lockpick Navi Override $100, New DVD update $50-75 on Craigslist).

I honestly think the brightness, resolution, layout, and keyboard set up (non-qwerty) on the 2005 Prius is horrible so with that added to the costs listed above to make it function the way I want it to I figure I might as well look into getting an aftermarket double din Navigation system that will do everything I want with a better resolution screen.

My questions:
    1. Has anyone done this before to a Prius with built in Navigation System? Would I still be able to use the MFD along with another screen? Links to old threads please, I looked but couldnt find any.
    2. Will I be able to use my controls on the steering wheel with the aftermarket Navi? Bluetooth? Voice command?
    3. Recommendations on Navi/headunit models and installers in SoCal?
    4. Are there features to look for or avoid?
    5. Tips on installation/wiring to avoid any electrical issues? (Not sure if theres a special way since its my first Hybrid). BTW I just ordered a new Optima Battery.
    6. Will the JBL system work with an aftermarket headunit/navi? Is there a special wire harness needed?
    7. Any recommendations on keeping or replacing stock JBL speaker system? I havent really heard them properly since the "Tune" Dial is stuck and the bass is turned up all the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My Prius is not as cool looking as my TSX nor does it feel as luxurious or drive as fast but damn it feels good to fill the tank once a week for almost half the price I used to pay to fill the TSX! haha No regrets here, the best thing about this used Prius is that it comes out to cost me less than $100/month insured to have an extra car after the savings on gas.. now all I have to do is make this Navigation and Stereo cater to my needs and Ill be a happy driver!

2. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just swap out the existing head unit with a Kenwood DNX 9980 or siilar - you're looking at closer to a grand for a decent GPS though. The Kenwood uses the latest Garmin user interfaces - Pioneer uses non-garmin GPS but is cheaper - about 600 or so (still better than your existing Prius GPS though).

So you are looking at from $700 to a grand to install a decent aftermarket double din radio w/touchscreen. Alternatively you could just by the latest Garmin for $250 keep it in your glove compartment and stick it on your windshield when needed.

I'll be doing a double DIN install on a non-nav non-JBL 07 prius this week and I will post a HOWTO later on in the week. Seriously though - if you have never done it before you should have an installer do it.

Swapping out the audio head unit will not interfere with your existing GPS functionality at all (if you do it correctly). There is a thread or three riht under yours that tells how to do it (or you might want to have a good audio installer do it if you have never done it before trust me).

The JBL unit WILL work with an aftermarket stereo - just use the forum search functions and look up "JBL aftermarket" and you will get plenty of threads telling you how.

3. Jay-P

Jay-P New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the help!!

4. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just finished the install a few days ago and the difference in sound quality is amazing and imho well worth the price - FYI.

5. Jay-P

Jay-P New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Niice! Did you go for the Kenwood unit? How much did everything cost and where there any complications? Blue tooth works and did you upgrade your speakers? Please post pics if you have the time!

6. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went for a Pioneer 4400bh because I did not want to pay another 500 for the kenwood gps. I added a microphone to the overhead light area . The only complication is that I lost AM reception but I suspect that it is because I did not connect the "antenna power" cable to power. I'll fix that in the next few days and report in my other thread if that fixes the issue. Although I did not upgrade the speakers there is a very notable difference in sound quality from just the head unit upgrade. Personally I won't be upgrading any speakers as I'm really happy with the better sound quality . Bluetooth works wonderfully and I can take calls using the car mic now.

There's nothing any pics that I post would provide than has already been posted so far. All my knowledge on how to do the procedure was gained from doing forum searches and following everyone elses instructions and pictures.