1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about replacing the stock stereo system with a Pioneer AVH-2400NEX. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by wowbobwow, Oct 2, 2018.

1. wowbobwow

wowbobwow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I recently bought a really nice 2016 Prius V "package 5," and overall I love it - handles well, gets great milage, and is overall a solid upgrade from my trusty 2008 Prius Touring Edition (which is still going strong as my wife's car!)

However, the "Premium JBL Sound System" in my Prius V is pretty terrible - it just sounds lousy. I recently had a highly-rated local car-audio shop install a "parking mode" cable for my Garmin dash-cam, and during my conversation with their guys, I mentioned how lackluster the JBL system is. As a sort of "thought experiment," they've put together a quote for a total sound-system overhaul, centered on the Pioneer AVH-2400NEX head unit. Their price (including replacement speakers, wiring, labor, etc.) is reasonable enough that I'm strongly considering it.

However, I'm also a little concerned - this is a pretty 'high tech' car, and I'm a little nervous that replacing the built-in head unit will cause me to lose important functionality. I don't care about losing the navigation stuff, since the potential replacement unit would allow me to just use CarPlay (which I'd greatly prefer - I never use the built-in navigation), and I can get basic status / fuel economy type info using the little display to the right of my speedometer. If I proceed, would I be sacrificing anything really important / critical?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure about the v. in the lift back, there is nothing critical on the mfd screen. my concern would be steering wheel buttons.

3. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't do it. I have the same system. JBL Greenedge. I replaced speakers, and added the sleek, slim, Kicker hideaway Sub. Huge improvement. And still retain the all the functions.

4. bostonbruins8703

bostonbruins8703 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I like the head unit itself. However I think the speakers are kinda meh. How much did it cost you to have the hidaway sub and speakers replaced? did you do it yourself or did you have a shop do it?

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ours is a c, not a v... but I swapped both the head unit and all speakers myself.

We lost the "energy arrows" display function of the stock MFD and that's it. Steering wheel controls required an adapter box, but they work properly. Rear vision camera works. Stock handsfree phone works. And we can still see all the hybrid energy display stuff on one of the other screens anyway, should we choose to.

After having done it, we would never go back. In fact, I won't buy a car that I can't upgrade this way. It's that much of an improvement.

ozjimjam likes this.