1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about the 2012 Prius Three.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Rainking, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Currently have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra, Limited with Tech Package. I'm thinking about trading it in for the 2012 Prius three (got spoiled with the back up camera :D) . The Elantra is only getting in the 25-26 mpg. I seen the 40 MPG on the sticker (highway of course) and thought I would get close to that. Looks like most people get highs 40, lows 50 here so I'm getting the itch to trade. Just wondering if the hit I take in the trade is worth it.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You will take a bath on the depreciation from selling/trading in your Elantra. So, it's tough to say if it's "worth" it.

If your driving is mostly city, then it'll make more worth your while. If it's mostly highway, the mileage improvement won't be as great...

Rainking likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the post above BUT if you do live in the city and make mostly short trips then the Plug-In Prius would be an even better choice than the Three. Assuming you sell your Elantra yourself you can reduce the amount of lube you'll need to bring with you to the dealership. :)

The Toyota incentives are huge for the plug in Prius in NY right now!

Rainking likes this.
  4. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's mostly for city. That's why the horrible gas mileage with the elantra. I'm now considering the plug in. What kind of incentive?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks! Just confirmed the 3,500 instant rebate and 0% APR. They are also heavily discounting them since he said they are not selling well in the north east. Went to the dealer and 80% of the Prius they had were plug-in. So after everything is said and done, should be almost the same price as a regular Prius three.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your gonna get killed on the trade off. You'd have to keep the Prius 10 years to break even.
    That and the Elantra rides like a Cadillac compared to the Prius. Rent that Prius for 2 dys and live with it.

8. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Rainking!

First off, I ended up in a very similar boat as you. I had a 2012 Elantra (GLS, Preferred Package) that I traded in for the 2012 Prius. For me the Elantra was huge in bells and whistles, but lacked overall refinement (plus it got nowhere near the sticker MPG). Similar to you, I got 27-29 mpg average, and mine with less than 10k miles had to go into the shop over 8 times for various issues. Needless to say I was itching to get out and get out fast.

I had been pretty diligent about paying more than my minimum payment every month and actually ended up with a wash on my car (I traded it in for as much as I owed on it). Basically I chalked up the loss to being able to use the car for 8 months and got into my 2012 III and never looked back. With the same driving style I used in my Elantra I can pretty easily get around 49-51 mpg. I also notice that there is a refinement in the Prius that I can't say for the Elantra (but that's my personal preference).

Where I'm getting gobstruck is how edthefox5 is comparing the Elantra to a Cadillac ride versus the Prius? I notice my Prius has a softer suspension and more body roll, yes, but it's also WAY more comfortable than my Elantra was. Also road noise is similar, as I never really noticed a difference.

That's my two cents on it anyway. I traded the Elantra in (after having a Mazda 3 for 7 years, so I'm not one of those who jumps cars very often) for the Prius and couldn't be happier. A word of warning though, you will be paying much more for it!

Rainking likes this.
  9. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tanks everyone. I actually ended in trading my car in (the Elantra is my wife's car so that will now be staying) which was a 2009 Honda Civic Si with 20,000 miles. I owed $12,600 and got the dealer to give me $15,000 trade in. That took some haggling since they originally only wanted to give me $12,500 for it. Just shows you how much room they give themselves. I negotiated the trade in after I negotiated the sale price of the car and was establish so that they couldn't try and monkey with that if they gave me a good trade in number. Got the PiP for $31,900 - $3,500 (Toyota instant incentive rebate) - $2,400 (trade in credit) = $26,000. I think I got a great deal.

I didn't think I would be trading my car in but it made more sense. Was sad to see it go.

Kissing my Si goodbye :(

[​IMG]

The new ride!

[​IMG]

cwerdna and Selzier like this.
  10. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CONGRATULATIONS! That's a pretty awesome price for the PiP! Was that OTD? I paid nearly the same for my III... >.>

Welcome to the Prius Family by the way. And I felt the same way when I finally gave up my Mazda 3

11. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks!!! EV mode is intoxicating!!! OTD was around 27k de to sales tax. I was originally considering the Prius three also but after the Toyota incentives and the federal tax credit I am paying about the same price that I would have paid for a non-plug-in. Made it a no-brainer for me.

Thanks goodness I have my Kawasaki zx10r to keep me satisfied lol.

Selzier likes this.
  12. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's cheaper than my III... Now I'm having some buyer's remorse!

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I jumped on the PIP, it's a great deal. Congrats!

14. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks guys. Day 1:

[​IMG]

Selzier and usbseawolf2000 like this.
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yay!

I'd imagine it snows in your area, so I'd definitely suggest you get snow tires before that starts.

Some people who complain about traction issues or traction control in the snow have stock tires, rather than proper snow tires. Traction control wouldn't need to cut power very often if one got traction in the first place.