1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about these wheels

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Zoeys_Fury, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Zoeys_Fury

Zoeys_Fury Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

New Prius v Three owner here. I paid 110 for a full tank of gas that only ever gets me 315 miles on my 07 Dodge Ram 1500 last week and had enough. I love, love, love the Prius v. Anyway, I want to get some black wheels and was wondering what you all think about these.

I want to keep everything as close to factory as possible. The wheels on the three are 16x6.5J with 205/60R16 tires. I am unable to find the offset of the stock wheels but read in the forum here somwhere that it was 39.

The wheels I am looking at are 16x7 with offset of +38. Does anybody know how this will affect performance of the Prius v? Will the tires stick out of the wheel well, speedomoter differences, etc.? Also, what is the difference between offsets that have a + in front of the number vs one that does not?

Here are the specs of the wheel that I want to get.

Offset: +38mm Backspacing: 5.47" Bolt Pattern: 5-114
    Rec. Tire Size:205/60-16
    Weight: 18.6lbs.

Any input you fine folks have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ray

Attached Files:

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. DaveShep

DaveShep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Ray,

I too had a truck and was sooo done with the $100 fill-ups. Love my Prius V but I'm still learned how to drive accordingly.

Black rims are my favorite. The wife does not want me blowing money on the car like I did my truck. So I was left with painting the rim covers. I'm really happy with the way they turned out. I used textured black. Cost me only $10 or so. Plus I read somewhere that the covers help improve mpg.

Anyways, good luck and those wheels you're looking at look sweet too!

Dave

Attached Files:

4. Zoeys_Fury

Zoeys_Fury Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Dave, I like the way your wheels look! If I could save money and just paint the rim covers I might just do that. What kind of paint and brand did you use, how'd you do it, etc.? I'm super intrigued...

5. Mike James

Mike James Camaros and Prii go figure

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Enkeis will fit fine. Although if your goal is just black; some sand paper, masking tape, and a couple rattle cans of black paint do sound tempting. You could go flat black or gloss.

6. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like Mike said, the Enkeis will fit fine. Its when you get into 18in and above before you need to really worry about offsets especially if you plan to lower your car.

I like the Sport Edition SE-16, Motegi SP-10, or Kazera KZ-1 in the lower price range. But if I had the cash I would choose the BBS RGR or CH.

7. DaveShep

DaveShep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Almost exactly like Mike said but no masking tape. I bought Rustoleum brand Textured Black spray paint designed for plastic with indoor/outdoor use. I sanded down the covers, cleaned them up, dried them off & sprayed on a couple coats. Piece of cake and took less than two hours. Just be careful not to put too thick of a coat before letting each dry a little. I'm really happy with the results and the price.