1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking about trading in the Pri...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

thinking.

just THINKING about it.

In essence, I just think it's a little too small for me. Or rather, I have a preference for something a bit bigger. Sometimes I bump into the top as I'm getting in, and I can't really knock the snow/mud off my feet by whacking my foot against the body panel just under the door, as it's waaaay too flimsy. Another slight annoyance is that my shoulders are wide enough such that my right arm has a natural tendency to fall a little too far to the right of the center console. Gas prices have seemed to drop back to the pre-craze state (they ended up not staying at the $3+ mark), and I've got that truck bug again. <_<

I've got an '04 with 26K on the clock, standard, single disc, model, of course, in great condition.

The used value sites claim anywhere from 18-21K for trade in value. Anyone have any real-world dealer-trade-in experience? Particularly with a non-Toyota dealer?

Again, just thinking. Might be an impulsive thing... :lol:

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    1. Weld a kick-plate over your rocker panel. Or wear slippers all the time.

2. Schedule surgery to have your upper right arm shortened (no need to mess with the elbow; just take a 2" piece out of the middle).

3. Take two aspirin. Call me in the morning if still delusional.

3. Venturer

Venturer New Member

We just traded our 05 Prius w/navigation pkg. It was $26,666 when new last April. They allowed me $24,000 toward a demo Sienna Limited. The real allowance was probably closer to $22,000, as I could have gotten the Sienna for less with no trade, but the sales tax would have been more.

Doug

4. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Yeah,..you should go with a Hemi!....GM, Ford, and Dodge have some great sales going on lately!!!!! You know the ones....each commercial says "its your last chance to save big"...

No, really Squid, you have to ask yourself: "will I kick myself in the bum WHEN gas prices go back up?" Most likely, you will be repeating that question while filling up your F-850 at $4.50 a gallon...

Now, is it to small for your build or your stuff?

5. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Oh, and by the way, Malorn's mouth is watering right now as he is standing by to offer you a GREAT deal :lol:

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And doesn't the fact that your helping the environment and reducing our oil consumption add in at all?

I'll admit, it was a 0 factor in my decision to get the Prius, but I don't think I'll ever get a gas only vehicle ever again.

If you really want to get something bigger, get the Highlander or wait for the Camry Hybrid.

7. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

it maybe a case of "new car fever"....which usually goes away when you wash your car.

I'm with you Maytrix...I'll never own another gas only vehicle again. It's almost like admitting defeat and moving back in with your parents or something....

8. Mystery Squid

:lol:

I can always get a more fuel efficient vehicle, if not the Prius, later on down the road should gas prices become an annoyance.

It's just that I'm starting to see a lot of decent deals on used trucks, particularly F-150's (and F-250's as well!), which I really like, although I do think the 6.8L V10 is a weeee bit excessive. :lol: Plus, there's a good chance my commute will drop, and I'm on the verge of moving to Florida, and promised myself to NEVER have a 30 mile commute, each way, again.

:ph34r:

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Hell, find that parking lot with those hundreds of HUMMERS on it and GO F'RIT.

You know you want one.
    :wub:

10. Mystery Squid

Oh hell no. IMO, the Highlander is waaaaaaaay overpriced. Plus, the Japanese version of "big" is a bit different than the U.S. definition. "Big" people in the U.S. aren't 5'10"... :lol:

I really, really, miss the high up off the ground massive "tank" feel. I freely admit, I like it, likewise with having big nice person seats that exceed your shoulder width, and having plenty of room.

11. Mystery Squid

Now THAT'S simply a penis enlarger... At LEAST with a 4WD truck, you CAN actually make good use of the bed, and get around far easier in the winter during snowstorms.

12. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I do not know. In my opinion, making a decision to go back to a gas guzzler based on the present price of gas is impulsive...

It may not hurt immediately, but unless you are absolutely convinced that the price of gas is trending downward and is also going to be very stable with no volatility...

In the long term, switching to a gas guzzler will bite you in the bum.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am patiently waiting on the sidelines to see how this conversation evolves. Do not pay a premium for a hybrid right now, supply is quickly catching demand.

14. cap_ut

cap_ut New Member

Sit down, leaving your feet outside the car.
    Bang your feet together to knock of snow and or mud.
    Rotate body to bring feet inside the car.

I successfully taught my husband to do this after we moved from NC to UT. I drive a Saturn presently (waiting for January '06 delivery on Prius), and the plastic side panel has the same wimpy problem.

Good luck

15. dogtrainer

dogtrainer New Member

I too may trade my o5 pkg 6 in....Just not happy with the mileage, if I drive like an 80 year old blind lady it will get in the high 40's but if I drive like a normal person it gets in the high 30's . I could get that with a 4 cyl Camary or something with much more room and comfort. I tried and I love the tech of the prius
    but the mileage is not close to what it should be Toyota says this is a national mproblem they are working on but no one can seem to fix it for the extra $ spent its not worth it , great little car for $18,000 but no more , it is really in many ways not as good as a Ford Focus

16. LaughingMan

Eh... well there are multiple factors when it comes to mileage.

I personally don't drive the Prius like an 80 year old woman... I maintain a good speed on the highway, and on surface roads I usually keep it around 40 MPH... I don't drive like on old lady, but I have incorporated as much pulse and glide technique as I can into my driving.

That means accelerating briskly up to speed... and then coasting.

When it was warmer I was able to get well into the 50s for mileage, but now, since it's gotten colder, i am down to high 40s. I have short 3 mile commute every day, but through lots of training on my part, I've been able to get my mileage above 50.

I completely disagree with you that Toyota needs to fix anything about the car with respect to the mileage it gets. There's nothing for Toyota to fix! Mileage is a very complicated measure that is affected by climate, terrain, traffic, and DRIVER SKILL.

You cannot fault the car alone if the climate, the terrain, the traffic all are the critical factors here. Other cars would not do better in those conditions.

So a Focus gets 30 to 40 MPG in exactly the same conditions as you are driving your Prius right now?

The fact is, if the only thing you changed was the car, but kept all conditions the same, there would be very few cars (the Ford Focus is not one of them) that would do better.

I'm still convinced that the reason why Prius owners complain about their mileage when they first get the car is because they are simply weren't paying attention to how their last car was doing, but now it's right there in your face on the MFD.

You just have to accept at some point that your driving conditions aren't ideal to get anywhere near EPA in ANY car.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why pay a $9500 premium to get the same mileage or even 5 mpg better? I know some of you get much better mileage, but at my stores I am starting to see a few people like Venturer.

18. Mystery Squid

I do this too... :D

However, as a man, therefore genetically geared towards the "easy" way of doing things :lol: , it was soooo much easier to slam my shoes/boots onto the step-rail of my old truck... :D

19. LaughingMan

Because I don't get the same mileage or even 5 mpg better. I get something like 20 to 25 MPG better than the other car i would have gotten..

For some people, they need a more practical car, and people like venturer probably was attracted to the utility of a minivan over a midsize.

We're getting dangerously close to the classic argument that hybrids don't make any sense because it won't make you any money in the long run... an argument that I have many times shown to be a straw man.

20. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Squid, you old dog...things were getting too quiet. Notice how your little "thought" has now evolved into the "premium" price argument? This thread will be a textbook case of "Hijacking".

Let's see how many different ways we can go....You know, if your gonna get a truck, it is silly to get a F150....The Ram 2500 is better, but if you can afford it, go with the Sierra 3500.

Ready....GO!