1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of a Prius in Toronto...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by grinthock, Mar 30, 2008.

1. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm thinking of picking up a 2008 package B with NAV, I find it a well appointed vehicle for the $$, i've been to a few dealers, nobody seems to have any. I'm in Toronto Canada...

Should I get the 2008 or wait for the '09 at this point, any confirmation of a PHEV option? I hate purchasing a vehicle and then the next year it's totally re-vamped.

2. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hit enter too quickly...

So Toronto seems to be bunk for B Packages -- plus i'm looking to hear from everyone here, wait for 09? I hate purchasing the last year of a generation.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last I heard the updated Prius could be introduced "as early as" 2009, so it would probably be a 2010 model year.

I don't know what the Canadian Prius supply is. They're supposed to be ramping up this year and next.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Package "B" doesn't have the navigation system. If you want factory nav, you're looking at Package "C" (Special Edition Premium Package w/ Navigation).

We're doing well for Package "B"s here on the west coast. It's our most popular model, followed by the base. We rarely stock navigation models. It seems you Ontarians can use the navigation system more fully than us west coasters.

5. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've had GPS's in all my vehicles since the early 90's, and i simply wouldn't go without.

I like the idea of fully integrated, on board, no BS, built right in... So it's really a no brainer for me! Hopefully a dealer from Ontario can pipe in.

6. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Grinthock,
    If you want the integrated GPS you need to get package C. Although Toyota reduced the price for 2008 it still is "premium" priced. With respect to waiting for the next model I had the same issue 11 months ago when I decided not to wait and purchased an '07 package 6. There were a lot of rumours around that time about the next model; plug-in...
    IMHO opinion you should not only consider buying the last year of a gen but also buying the 1st year of a new gen, although Toyota brand is very reliable. The current Consumers Report rates the Prius as the one with the highest resale value. If you wanted to trade in your '08 later for the new gen it seems that you'll be able to sell it at a good price.
    Good luck,

7. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree that both points are valid, and the 08 seems to finally have things "Right"

With the changes in the new gen, first year may not be best. So I have decided I will 3 year lease my prius, and then trade it back in perhaps once the new ones comes out.

8. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wise decision- good luck. Out of interest what dealership are you dealing with?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What about a Camry Hybrid? At $34,780 with factory nav (and it comes with the Energy Monitor and Consumption Screen), it's a pretty good deal. Of course you won't get Prius mileage and not as flexible a cargo area but still... (esp. since TCHs are more abundant, at least in my neck of the woods)

10. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you want a Prius soon another option is to buy one with very low mileage used in the US. I found a package 5 (Nav + HID etc)with 160 miles total in Indiana for $24,499 US. At the time the $CDN was $1.04 US so it cost me $23,553 CDN. It was on ebay, being sold by a Toyota dealer who took it back on a trade for a new Corolla.

Like you I also tried here in Canada and found, not only waiting lists, but also a really long wait time for ones with Nav (HIDs not available in Canada).

I actually bought two, the other for my wife who was driving a HCH but "loved" my Prius from her first drive. I found both in different cities in Indiana. Perhaps that state had a generous allocation of Prii with nav.

It wasn't too much hassle to drive it across and obtain Canadian certification.

11. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd rather not get into the US purchase market issues, plus i'm not looking to buy used.

Regarding the Camry Hybrid, i'm far from interested, I'm into this for the fuel econ, plus I think the Camry's interior is ugly, that translucent green crap is horrible.