1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of a Prius, need some questions answered..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Berman, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Berman

Berman New Member

first off, im a noob to this board. but I was thinking of trading in my 01 Camaro Z28 and buying a prius for gas price reasons. 1 question, is there any real passing power to a prius? or am i gonna have to hunker down in the right lane? reason i ask, I drive about 50 miles of highway to work, and need to know.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No problem. Just put your foot on the gas. I pass trucks going up hill. Of course, don't expect to get 52 mpg going 75 mph on the freeway. You'll probably only do....maybe 45 mpg.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good reason for a test drive... The Prius has adequate passing power and can cruise well above the posted speed limit. However, many PriusChat members report that they become calmer, easier, slower drivers when they see instantly how much fuel efficiency is affected by speed. Also, since there is no shifting (and no shift kick) as your speed increases, you need to pay attention to the speedometer. The HSD constantly balances the power output of the Internal Combustion Engine with that of the two electric motors; your pressure on the accelerator tells the computer how fast you want to go – the engine may seem to be racing, which in your Z would be a bad sign, but in the Prius it means ICE power is going directly to the wheels as well as generating electricity turning the other motor to further power the wheels.

Welcome to PriusChat, Berman! Go take a test drive. Don't be afraid to step on the pedal.

4. aoc6m6

aoc6m6 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Berman @ Apr 19 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]426408[/snapback]</div>
    I sold my Z28 for a prius and it's got plenty enough "pep" for a DD.

5. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bill Merchant is right. You need to get behind the wheel and take a test drive to properly answer your question. The Prius will safely get up to speed when you're merging, and is capable of maintaining high speed cruising. But the Prius is not a Z28. Your mileage will take a hit if you cruise at high speeds and/or drive aggressively. Happy motoring,
    David

6. justkeel

justkeel New Member

Ive- really ben thinkin of TRADING in my Jeep and picKing up a Prius also. Im afraid thou that since my car is a Domestic that they will give me about $20 for it. :(

7. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i traded my jeep for a prius and tripled my gas mileage.

for the OP, i had my prius up to about 85-90 mph today.
    accelerates just fine on the highway, but its not a sports car.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Berman @ Apr 19 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]426408[/snapback]</div>
    I mirror the responses. Do a test drive and see if it works for you. You won't feel a kick in the seat (i.e. you won't be pushed back) because the CVT provides linear power so you'll have to look at the speedo.

If that's not enough pep to satisfy you, then give the Camry a shot. It has more power (187hp vs 110hp for the Prius) but you do lose a few mpg and a bit of cargo carrying capability but it is a more comfortable highway cruiser.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius has TONS of power! But then I mostly ride a bicycle. :D

Serious - as others have said - it is no sports car, but I've NEVER been left wanting for more power. Plus, the older I get, the less I give a damn.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Berman @ Apr 19 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]426408[/snapback]</div>
    It depends on your point of view. My last car was an '89 Civic. It would go passing speed, but took so long getting there that by the time it reached passing speed, the opportunity was lost. (Talking 2-lane roads.)

But the Prius will go from 70 ot 75 speed limit up to 80 or 85 passing speed very briskly. However, it will seem less brisk if you are switching from a more powerful car. Still, it's got plenty of power to do the job.

You cannot have both high fuel efficiency AND extremely hard acceleration. But the Prius does very well.

Note, however, that if gas prices are your concern, then I presume a more important figure is lifetime cost to own per mile. And in that case, no new car, even a Prius, costs less to own than a good reliable late-model used car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FLEX @ Apr 19 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]426464[/snapback]</div>
    Jeeps hold their value very well. A dealer may give you nothing for it if he does not think he can sell it quickly. Present inventory and used-car-parking space are factors for a dealer. But if you check out the Blue Book price and then sell it privately, you'll do much better.

Note also that the Prius is a lot safer than a Jeep.

11. Boucher187

Boucher187 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Berman @ Apr 19 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]426408[/snapback]</div>
    Hello Berman,
    I drive 40 miles to work and then 40 miles home. Totaling about 80-85 miles. I put 3 people (total) in the car when I am on my trip. I live in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania. The car has no problem going up hills or downhill. I cruise at about 70. Getting 48-50 MPG. Just don’t be too hard on the gas at acceleration and you will be set. The guys that I ride with also love all the room in the car!

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FLEX @ Apr 19 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]426464[/snapback]</div>
    We sold BOTH of our S.U.V.'s for hybrids ... an Exploader and a Range Rover. Take your time. Wait for the gas prices to dip in the winter. People, having patheticly short memories about high gas prices from just 4 weeks ago, tend to jump back into the stupid gas guzzler mode, as soon as the dip occurs.

13. Gringa

Gringa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pewd @ Apr 19 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]426496[/snapback]</div>

I know what you mean. I'm 'trading' my Gran Cherokee V8 to my husband who works about 3 miles from home and I'm picking up my '07 Prius tomorrow. :D I do alot of driving compared to him. Now we need to sell his Jeep Wrangler (as soon as I can pry his fingers off the steering wheel!). I know I can't get what the Cherokee is worth with the current gas prices, so it's bye, bye Wrangler! :(

14. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Drive one and go for it. The passing power is OK. Like the others said; one car can't do everything. It depends on your priorities. I traded an 06 Honda CRV, and am not sorry. Prius is more quiet and comfortable, and double the gas mileage. I've also experienced the "economy syndrome"; find myself accelerating and driving slower to achieve better MPG.

15. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Original Poster's original post is his only one. At this point, we're talking to ourselves.

16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i usually lead all the traffic around here. first off the lights.. fastest around corners... and fastest on the highway. well.. you get a few who pass but it's rare.

i get a minimal of 40mpg

i would recommend the bt plate. If you want to spend more, get the trd suspension.

17. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I own a Camaro owner as well I will also respond.

The Prius has enough power to drive normally in public driving conditions to do whatever you want. In reality, it really does not have much "power" from the perspective of a typical American V8 car owner, and in reality... The hybrid Camry, hybrid Civic, and hybrid Altima, will drive rings around it. That said... The ride of the Prius is very good. The hatchback is extremely convenient. The visibility is good. The car is well appointed, easy to use, and has all the necessities. It will ride better than the Camaro and be more comfortable, especially for highway driving, and although you may not achieve the ultimate mileage in lead footed highway driving conditions, at 45mph on a highway with a leadfoot, it is much better than 26-30mpg on the highway with a bedroom slipper in an f-body V8, plus the emissions are much better for the environment.

The safety of the Prius with the six airbags is also outstanding. The Camaro is a very safe car as it has extra bracing in the door frames, but for driver protection the extra airbags in the Prius are an upgrade from the Camaro. Plus the comparatively silent ride is a nice break from the noise of an f-body. It is also much better in snow than the Camaro and easier to park, easier to get in an out of than the Camaro, and as long as you don't try to put it between the pylons of a road course or race the quarter mile you can be very happy with a Prius.

I used my racing expereince yesterday to help my wife sell hybrids at an Earth Day show locally. I found that when a non-hybrid owner explains how the Prius efficiently makes use of technology to produce a well balanced approach to transportation and environmental responsibility, with a decent price point and attention to detail (Thank you Toyota), it opens the eyes of sceptics. We were able to take several people for a test drive in a Prius yesterday that otherwise would not have set foot in one and they were all universally impressed.

Go to a dealer and drive one. If it isn't for you then move on and look at the Camry or other bybrid, but I suspect you will like and appreciate the engineering and build quality of the Prius, especially when compared with a Camaro, and this is comng from a Camaro owner... :)

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 20 2007, 11:47 PM) [snapback]427227[/snapback]</div>
    That's okay. There are probably people reading this board who are wondering the same thing as the OP asked, even if the OP himself was a troll (which may or may not be the case.)