1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of buying my first prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ManOnTheMoon, Jan 14, 2018.

1. ManOnTheMoon

ManOnTheMoon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I am new to the Prius community and I have decided to get myself a Prius for commuting - makes it more fun. I have a daily 90ish mile commute (2 hour in traffic). Originally, I thought about leasing a Prius prime but it brings up my insurance pretty high, and in the end, it was not worth it.

My budget is about ~12K. I saw a dealership post for a Prius two, one owner with 43000 miles going for $12,200.

Would that be a decent deal or is it better for me to go towards to a better trim with higher mileage (for instance a prius three with >100K miles)?

I also intend to check some mechanics around my area, and I would like to bring the purchased vehicle for a full checkup (particularly the battery, hybrid system). I have to ensure that I get my mpg worth for my commute.

Thank you for any input that you can provide..

2. ManOnTheMoon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot to add that the year..The dealership is selling a 2011 Prius two, 43000 miles going for $12200. I also noticed on the carfax that
    "in 2014, about 19000 miles in, the car underwent
    Maintenance inspection completed
    Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
    Tire condition and pressure checked
    Tires rotated
    "

Anything that could be suspicious with the reprogramming of the modules?

#2 ManOnTheMoon, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What year Prius? The Two just designates the trim level, basically what options are included. Toyota usually sold trim Two and up from dealers, reserving a lower level trim one for fleet sales. For late 2017 & 2018, the y are now selling trim One from dealers too.

For any older Prius in that price range you need to budget at least $3K for when the hybrid battery fails. The Prius does not like to sit unused a lot so low mileage may not be a good indicator.

IMHO you would probably be better off looking at a good reliable car like the Corolla.

Montgomery likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, that might be a little better.
    What you are looking at is a later Gen 3 Prius. Your profile said 2008. I have reported the thread so hopefully the mods will move to where you would get better feedback.

I thin @Raytheeagle @bisco @TMR-JWAP @Mendel Leisk and others here could give you some additional advice. I have tagged them so they are aware of this thread.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

To answer your question, can you give us more details:
    • Commuting distance
    • Area of the US you live
    • How long have you been looking
    • What do you drive now
    • Are you able to DIY
    The answer to the last question may guide you decision more than the others. As cars rack miles or age there will be repairs and some are expensive. If your budget is $12k, consider these into that decision.

Hope that helps(y).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. ManOnTheMoon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Good catch about the hybrid system being idle. These batteries need to be cycled regularly for optimum performance.

I would not mind a used corolla but I was looking at the prius for best mpg.

SAMSUNG-SM-G920A ?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. ManOnTheMoon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you...

To answer some of yr queries :

Commuting distance: 90 miles round trip
    * Area of the US you live- I work in Santa Clara, CA but live in Berkeley, CA

* How long have you been looking - to be honest, not long. Currently on paternity leave and will be back to work by end of the month.

* What do you drive now- I have an Acura mdx but not a good cmmuter.. Low mpg and needs premium gas.

* Are you able to DIY. I have never worked on a car before due to lack of time and space (I live in an apartment) but.. I fix mechanical and electrical equipment at work. Fixing pneumatics, sensors etc.So I can potentially do it.

SAMSUNG-SM-G920A ?

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the Bay Area, eh:)?

Berkeley to Santa Clara, that’s some serious windshield time depending on when the commute happens:(.

I do 78 miles round trip from Fairfield to Pittsburg and a Prius is the perfect car for it;).

Would you trade in the MDX for the Prius? Does the significant other have transportation and if so, will getting a hatchback versus the suv be a significant change to lifestyle?

If you’re willing to DIY butnhave no place to do so, we do meet ups in the Bay Area so you can:):

Possible Monthly install meets. Bay Area-Fremont

I need to ask others around here when they want to do the next one;).

Around here there are decent deals on Prii. If willing to DIY, get a Gen3 would make sense given how fast you rack miles and the fuel efficiency :).

Keep us posted (y).

SFO and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. ManOnTheMoon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah from Bay Area.

The morning commute is not bad but the afternoon commute is tough. So might as well make it fun and play with mpg instead.

Am glad the prius works great for you.

Unfortunately I can't trade the mdx. Just convinced the wife that we shd get it. She is not interested in driving a prius even though as an engineer, she is fascinated by it. She has her own car anyway.

That sounds great. I would love to join but that may be too embarrassing or intimidating for me as I am a complete noob at car repair. This year will be hard for me to join these events with a newborn. However, I will keep track of these and join at some later time. Previously I was in a RC helicopter (not the toy ones) and road bike community. It was great fun.

I had a look at the mpg stats and looks like 2012 and 2013 prius are what I am looking for, at least within my budget.

By any chance, any good prius mechanic you could recommend around Berkeley, walnut creek area?

SAMSUNG-SM-G920A ?

10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I figured the mdx would be staying;).

No need to worry about intimidation, we are a friendly bunch and some just come for social aspects :).

We can help you learn and work with you through it. We’ve done everything from oil changes and tire rotations to oil catch can installs and egr cooler swaps at the meet ups ;).

We actually had one member attend the day before his wife gave birth :oops:. I have a soon to be 7 and 5 year old so I understand the challenges;).

Arts Automotive in Berkeley is a great shop and one you can use with confidence :).

If you want to meet some of the locals from here though, the doors always open;).

Good luck with your purchase decision (y).

bisco, Montgomery and SFO like this.
  11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There were some recalls that involved a reflash of one ECU or another. I'm still running the original software. If the prior owner didn't have the recall done the selling dealer will before selling the car.

You can register the VIN at http://www.toyota.com/owners to see the recall and dealer service history of the car.

SFO likes this.
  12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure that new family member (now an infant) also made an appearance for two or three hours at the last meetup in November :D

ManOnTheMoon and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. ManOnTheMoon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I really like the MDX.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will try to make it if I have some time. Unfortunately, besides parenthood, most of the time, I am on shift during weekends..So, its a bummer.

Sure, i will make a trip to Arts Automotive tomorrow. Hopefully i will get some nice pointers from them, and I will bring the car to them for a checkup anyway.

I am hoping to get a nice deal on a Prius soon! :D

14. ManOnTheMoon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for letting me know. I decided to pass on the low mileage Prius following the advice of the forum. While I may be passing on a good deal, it's probably safer for me not to take it as I am not experienced enough to find the pitfalls of the car.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Download the sales brochures for the model years you are looking at so you can see what was included in the trim packages. Every used car is different so here's hoping you find one that makes you happy without too much searching.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. ManOnTheMoon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. In the end I bought myself a 2013 prius c three. It's great and I love it so far.

SAMSUNG-SM-G920A ?

Prodigyplace, Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and all the best!(y)

18. ManOnTheMoon

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

SAMSUNG-SM-G920A ?

bisco likes this.
  19. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like you have a good plan! I can only add to make sure you get one which has been regularly serviced (preferably by dealer or at least by someone intimately familiar with the Prius, as there are a few quirks which need specialized equipment). Read all you can about the Prius (PriusChat is a great resource) - Good Luck, and you'll LOVE your Prius!
    PS: I bought my 2009 Gen II (touring) about 4 years ago, (83,000 miles on odometer) for ~$13K (odo now just coming up to 130,000) :)