1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of buying this car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Toddwilks, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looking at an 07 with 56K but this is what I found in the service history recently. Im thinking it needs an inverter replaced. 12v battery was recently replaced. not sure about the hybrid battery. Any advice would be great.

7/2020
    ELECTRICAL

ELECTRICAL~|~REPLACE THE MAIN FUSEABLE LINK FOR THE JUNCTION BLOCK~|~POSITIVE/NEGATIVE JUMPER CABLES TOUCHED DURING JUMP START CAUSING FUSEABLE LINK TO BLOW.~|~FOUND THE DC/DC MAIN 100A FUSE TO BE BLOWN DUE TO JUMPING THE BATTERY TERMINALS BACKWARDS. REPLACED THE MAIN FUSE JUNCTION BLOCK FUSE AND FOUND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO REMAIN ON. REPLACED THE ETCS AND DOME FUSE DUE TO BEING BLOWN AS WELL. CLEARED CODES

Name
    Part #
    Qty
    BLOCK ASSY, FUSIBLE
    Customer Pay
    7/2020
    ELECTRICAL

ELECTRICAL~|~TEAR DOWN TO DIAGNOSE THE INVERTER, DC/DC CONVERTER~|~ ~|~TESTED THE RESISTANCE BETWEEN THE BATTERY AND DC/DC FUSE BLOCK - 0.3OHM. CHECKED RESISTANCE FROM BLOCK TO INVERTER 0.2 OHM. TESTED THE VOLTAGE FOR CONNECTOR C5 AND C6. SIGNAL IGCT AT 11V, SIGNAL S AT 11V AND POWER WIRE AMD AT 12V. CHECKED RESISTANCE OF NO

2. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I should also mention I’m pretty handy and do most of the work myself. Hv battery replaced, struts, all fluids, complete interior gut all done by me. I have a obdii reader to get the codes so I don’t think i would really need a techstream

iPhone ?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    inverters are cheap, you'll more than likely need a hybrid battery, but no biggie, the rest of the car as another couple hundred thousand left in it.

4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If it’s cheap enough and you can find another inverter replacement cheaply go for it.

It’s just time right?

5. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You agree that it sounds like the inverter? I mean what else can it be lol. It sounds like it fried it lol. The car starts and runs and moves. I agree on a new hybrid battery too but that’s just a few bolts.

Yup just takes time. It’s a salvage title so hopefully I can get it cheap and run into the ground like I am my current 07.

iPhone ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully not the tranny, but i don't seeanything pointing to it. why salvage?

7. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Assuming cost of the inverter since it was all done at the dealer, they prob got quoted 3k for just the part and decided to get rid of it. It’s a copart car

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's kind of where real-deal techstream becomes useful.

That said, check other fuses. It's common for one of more of the smaller ones to pop when that big 100A goes. Pull them and put them on a meter, they can fool the eye.

With only 56k miles on an '07 the hybrid battery can't have much life left in it, but at least the seats aren't mashed flat yet! :D