1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of converting to PHEV

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Joyce, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Joyce

Joyce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm in Massachusetts, and have a 2009 Prius. We were looking at the information on the 2012 Plug-in models, but can't see buying a new car to gain 15 miles of electric driving per charge. We are now looking into an Enginer conversion kit (installed) to get close to 100mpg.

My daily commute is 13 miles each way, non-highway. I am currently getting 47-49 mpg.

Does this seem like a reasonable purchase? Sure, it will take a few years to recover my investment (about $3500?), but I will be driving a clean car, which is important to us.

Any thoughts?

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you're only getting 47-49mpg then Enginer kit would only return 60-85 mpg. I normally get about 57-60mpg on my without the conversion in the summer but with conversion, I barely break 90mpg while driving normally. The Enginer kit can achieve 130+mpg but it performs like a golf cart. The last tank I had was about 130mpg but the average speed for the tank as 16mph. Having owned the converter type conversion kit, I am leaning toward the contactor type conversion kit. It allows true EV driving and better blended mode performance because instead of 15-18 amp assist like the Eginer kit, it offers 100+ amps of assist. I wish you were in the west coast. I'd sell you my kit.

2 people like this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are trying to get all-ev mode for that 13 miles, an Enginer kit will not fit your needs. Instead look to a Plug In Supply ($11K) or Plug In Conversion Corp kit ($13K).

Getting 100mpg from an Enginer kit would depend a lot on your commute and since you are currently getting less than 50 mpg, I think 100mpg may be a bit unattainable for you.

For all the kits you would you be installing it yourself? If so, then plan on having to go back once in a while to tweak things or possibly replace a component here and there.

I've done quite a few installs and would be happy to talk any time. 608-729-4082. Or PM me with a phone number and time to call and I can help get you on the right track. No use spending money on a system that may not fit your needs.

Here is a suggestion I give many of my customers, if you truly have money for a Prius PHEV from Toyota then go for it. Especially if you don't have the knowledge or desire to tinker with your car or a good installer/support system nearby.

2 people like this.
  4. danwisdom

danwisdom 2004 and 2005 prius owner

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually have two PHEV's for sale, or I would be willing to trade for another prius (gen II or newer).

One is a 2004 with a $12,800K 10kWh conversion by Boulder Hybrid Conversions. I would sell that for $17,900 or equivalent trade.

The other is a 2005 fully loaded, nav, leather xeon lights... with a $5,400 k 4kWh conversion by Boulder Hybrid Conversions. I would sell that for $14,500 K or equivalent trade.

Thanks!
    Dan

I could also drive the car to you if you wanted to trade/purchase one.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Plug in Supply now sells a $5,500 4kwh system that is highlighted in a video on their web site.
    I don't know any more about it other than what's in the video.
    It ends with this statement:
    The Plug in Supply 4 kilowatt, 100 pound, full regen capable, lithium ion phosphate battery pack gets 20 to 30 miles per charge."​

1 person likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sounds like marketing BS; you get 2-3mi per kW, YMMV

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're looking to recover the money, forget it. At $3.50/gal you're paying $1.896 per day for gas. At $3.50/gal even if you got 100mpg on those trips you'd take 3551 trips just to recover the principal, let alone the opportunity cost. A better investment would be to spend the money on energy saving in your home. A home energy audit can apparently pay dividends by identifying the major efficiency problems. You could also try to reduce gasoline consumption by driving more efficiently. But, if you're willing to spend the money anyway that's a different matter and I hope it works out for you.

1 person likes this.
  8. scottsim

scottsim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I get closer to 5mi/KWh in my 10 KWh PIS system. In pure EV mode. And now average around 100mpg for the first 150mi in mixed mode.

Scott
    Www.smilingdogsranch.com/Priusblog

9. f16bmathis

f16bmathis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd look into buying / making a pure EV. I converted my Chevy S10 into an EV ( www.evalbum.com/1752 ) Started out with lead acid batteries, but wanted more range, so upgraded to Lithium's.

As a 22mpg gas vehicle, it cost 0.18 cents per mile just for gas. As an electric, the cost is 0.058 cents! (my average). As an EV its faster than stock but is limited to 80 mile range.

These PHEV kits (which I just installed in my Prius) get better gas mileage, but I'm not seeing anyone talk about the electric cost. Sure its cheaper and cleaner than gas, but at .058 cents per mile, I believe your best MPH is 66! So the PHEV kits are showing 100 MPG, but in reality your just swapping expenses, though I do like driving electric better than gas anyday. I'm going to start charting both my Prius's gas AND electric cost and will post.

10. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There are plenty of other threads that talk about the cost of electricity. The problem is that it is different for everyone and the calculations depend on your assumptions.

For me the cost of electricity is less than 1/2 of what you quote. So clearly you and I have differing opinions of what assumptions to use.

So,.. I think that your publishing what you get is fine,... But I am fearful that your discussion will degenerate into an argument because of bad assumptions.

Thanks,
    Dan

11. f16bmathis

f16bmathis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan, don't want arguments, just better fuel efficiency! My electric is mostly solar, so assume it costs me nearly nothing, oh wait, had to pay for that solar system! SO lets not hide the fact that the average person will be filling up the PHEV with about 1 kw for a 2 kw PHEV. Still, at my rate 11.9 cents to go 4 miles pure electric is a deal! Assuming the data I have so far continues:), and the gas savings in stage 4 makes it even better.

Back to topic, the PHEV kits save gas.

12. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in the same situation as the OP. I have a 2009 with ultra-low miles, has not lost hardly any value - in fact it looks like i could get back over 66% of the total 33 monthly payments I have made on the lease if I sold the car right now....insane.

Anyway, I am waivering on the fence about ordering a 2012 PiP come Thursday as 1) The do not have black 2) The interior (Dark Gray) is a killer for hot climate Summers with temps in the high 80s-90-100+ degree areas and 3) They are not selling the car in the Southeast.

As I am happy with my 2009 Touring Model decked out as it is, I am looking at the aftermarket for a proven system. Months ago I saw 2 companies on this forum and bookmarked them - only I cannot find them now :(

I am not a do it yourself person - and one of the links had a place within 30 miles of me that did conversions.

I see lists of scam/beware companies - could someone point me to the list of reputable systems that have places around the country that can do this type of conversion?

Thanks!

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just don't think anyone has a true turnkey system like you're gonna get with the pip.

14. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Couple of comments on PHEV kits:
    Payback. Long time on gas savings alone. But keep your Prius for 2-4 more years with the kit and the ownership savings will pay for it.
    Any kit purchase vs a new car is instant payback.
    Also, ain't no payback on a convertible.. but the ride is great. Same here.

Reliability. The PiP will likely be wonderfully reliable. The PSI kit is likely next best, and Enginer is 3rd. Different prices.

15. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a few quick thoughts. IMHO most people think about plugins completely backwards. They desire an all electric range that exceeds their normal daily routine, but then complain about the cost. IMHO this is also exactly the kind of thinking that ran the Chevy Volt aground. 40 mile electric range sounds great until you have to do a bunch of corner cutting just to keep the cost to $40k.

Instead I would challenge people to think of a plugin hybrids this way. First we'll start with a few simplifying assumptions.
    1) Battery cost will continue to dominate the price of PHEV and BEV systems for the near future.
    2) The cost of a system will scale roughly linearly with its range.
    3) Electric miles are cheaper than gas miles. Here in Phoenix its ~2-3c per mile vs. 7-8c per mile.

Given those assumptions I would assert the following. Every time you recharge before your battery is completely depleted, or skip an opportunity to recharge you have wasted money on battery capacity you didn't need to achieve the same gasoline offset and savings. This line of thinking drives exactly the opposite conclusion that most people reach regarding PHEVs. For maximum cost efficiency your PHEV battery should be no larger than your shortest typical trip before being able to recharge. Smaller will still achieve the same cost efficiency, it just won't maximize your potential gasoline offset. But its still better than not doing anything.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to get as many electric miles in as possible. For some people the additional benefits of having a larger battery will outweigh the additional cost. But I believe that in general maximizing the cost efficiency through smaller, cheaper PHEV systems will be key to getting as many PHEVs on the road as possible, which in turn will offset the most number of gallons of gasoline possible in the short term and drive the kind of battery sales volumes needed to make longer range PHEVs and BEVs more economically feasible down the road.

The argument is roughly the same for BEVs vs. PHEVs as for off grid vs. grid tied solar. In an off grid system you have little choice but to size the system to deliver your entire normal load plus some to fill extra battery capacity to get through cloudy days etc. In many ways the push for grid tied systems revolutionized residential solar PV market in the same way PHEVs are revolutionizing the electric vehicle market. Now you can put up a smaller solar array, and have the grid supply the whatever else you need. Your return on the solar investment is at a maximum up to the point where your solar production starts to exceed your demand. The analogy gets a little different here, as with most net metering agreements the utility will at least average out your usage/production over the course of the year, but without that the same would be true. Every day you made more electricity than you needed you would have put more money into the solar array than you needed to in order to achieve the same utility offset, reducing your overall cost efficiency. With net metering the same is still true if your average daily production exceeds your average daily consumption.

In the same way grid-tie and net metering are making solar accessible to more people, and every kW someone puts on their roof helps just as much whether its part of a small system that only covers part of their individual usage or a giant off grid system. Its still less coal, or natural gas, or whatever being burned.:)

16. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Even the smaller 4kW PIS system might get you where you want to be, without costing too much more than the Enginer. You could likely get all the way to work in high speed EV mode, and then return home in blended mode. MPGs should be nearly infinte on the way in, and 50-60 on the way back with an overall average over 100mpg for the round trip commute.

The new PiP might actually do just about as well, although without the high speed EV mode and due to cold winter temps it might be lower overall. Have to wait and see.

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you may be confusing AC and DC efficiency here. Take for example the original EV-1.

http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/fsev/eva/ev1_eva.pdf

DC Efficiency in the driving cycle test was found to be 179Wh/mi or ~5.6 mi/kWh. AC efficiency, which includes charging efficiency was 373Wh/mi, or ~2.7 Wh/mi. The DC efficiency is whats relevant to range for a given battery capacity. The Prius is a somewhat bigger, heavier car but should still be in the 200-250Wh DC per mile, or 4-5 miles per DC kWh. That of course has to be used with the actual useable capacity of the battery, not just its raw capacity.

18. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You guys are talking so far above my head, my brain is hurting just reading this :). You have to remember, I'm from KY.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the EV 1 is a way below 40k car.. or am i wrong?

build a new EV1 the EV2 ;-) and you have a best seller 100+ miles

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's above my head is why someone starts a thread and then never responds to any of the replies.:confused: