1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of getting a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Spoon, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Spoon

Spoon New Member

I am planning on getting a new-to-me car in the next year or 2. Recently the Prius has jumped up into the top of my list. But, I have some questions (and yes I have done searches and my own research). Since this is the Audio and Electronics section I will only ask about those subjects here. I haven't seen any posts or pics about drop down or head rest dvd screens. I would like to have one or the other for when my kid gets a bit older. Does anyone have any pros or cons about them in the Prius. My next concern in this area is music. I would like to install a 20 gig music keg. Will it work in the prius with the existing equipment? I wouldn't normally be asking things like this but the car is so dependant on the computer I don't really know what eftermarket equipment it will support.
    I will have more ? later but I am crunched for time right now.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People have done headrest and drop down lcd screens with good success.

What do you mean by 'music keg' something like an iPod?

3. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoon @ Jul 30 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]487611[/snapback]</div>
    If you're referring to the Kenwood Music Keg or other Phatnoise systems, they won't work natively but you could use them with the Kenwood FM modulator add on. Frankly I put my Music Keg in the drawer and have been using an iPod for the last couple of years - even the low-end video iPod has more storage, and there are add-ons that allow you to control it using the built-in controls (search on DICE and VAIS for more info on these.)

4. Spoon

Spoon New Member

Yeah, the Kenwood Music Keg is what I was thinking of. I was hoping that there was some way that it could be integrated into the existing system and be controlled via the existing system's controls. If it needs an fm modulator it just got bumped off of my cool gizmo list. I was going to ask about the iPod earlier but ran out of time. I did a little more research and figured out for myself that the iPod and the VAIS/DICE integration system is probably a better way to go. It will do exactly what I want it to do as far as being controlled by the existing system and I can get a 30 gig iPod. The biggest keg is only 20.
    Next topic is how will any add ons such as LCD screens/dvd player, ipod and amp/subwoofer (escpecially all of these combined) affect the car? Is there a limit that I can draw from the car? I have seen pics of most of this type of aftermarket equipment installed in the Prius but I don't know if there are limits.

5. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoon @ Jul 30 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]487822[/snapback]</div>
    Given some of the equipment people have installed (you can read about them in this forum) I don't think you're likely to run into problems.