1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of replacing all OEM catalytic converters to deter theft..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AndyFromWI, Feb 23, 2020.

1. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Note: With a sawzall, a thief can jack up your car and cut out the catalytic converter in a few minutes.
    They sell the converter to unscrupulous recylers and get get $200-$500 for your oem converter.
    If you live in CA, you must replace the converter with an OEM version, figure spending 2-3K for the parts and the work.

My Story:

On 2/22/2020, my wife was parked in the driveway of a very nice Milwaukee WI neighborhood, when she started our 2009 prius... The catalytic converter was stolen. None of us were aware of what a huge issue this is. After doing some research, this is a world wide problem.

There are suggestions on how to make the converter more difficult to remove like cat-strap (fiber strip), welding steel rod or cable to the converter and pipes, attach metal plates below the catalytic converter. All of these options are to make it less convenient for the thief and hopefully they will move on to a different car.

I was thinking about just replacing the high value converter and splicing in a cheaper one that is less attractive to thieves. I have a 2009, and two 2005's, All have over 200K miles.

Has anyone had a good luck with aftermarket converters? I realize that in NY, or CA this is not an options, but for the rest of the states this might save a lot of headache, and hopefully you can legally sell (or keep as spare), the original converter.

My plan is to maybe get an MagnaFlow (not sure the model), weld it inline and then weld on a
    Stainless O2 Sensor Bung/Boss - Saddle Type - M18x1.5mm Thread Pitch - SS304 on to the pipe after the converter, so I can screw in the 02 sensor.

I can do the welding myself, and figure it will be about $120 per car.

If these will last for a few years I will consider that a success and to not have to worry about having them ripped off again would be wonderful.

Has anyone out there had success with these converters, or a better brand, or a better theft deterrent.

Thanks
    -andy

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow there stealing them in WI too now? I wonder how they lay them off ebay maybe?

We see alot of cat thefts on the G2 on this site. One guy in Great Britain got a guy on video doing it. What balls to lay under a car for 20 mins hacking away at the under carriage and not worry about coming out from under and having a hand cannon pointing at your face.

I just checked ebay and there's is no G2 listings for a used G2 cat but only this one a G1. $1100 for 2 used scrap cats. Pretty nutty getting $1100 for a scrap G1 cat.
    What is there gold in there? I know there's platinum & rhodium in there but is there enough to make more than a $1100 on recycling 2?

Must be there's 3 bidders. So there recycling them not laying them off.

So you may be onto something there Andy. Good luck post pics please we like thems.

2 TOYOTA PRIUS 1ST GEN SCRAP CATALYTIC CONVERTER OEM FULL NUMBERS GA1 AND EA4 | eBay

#2 edthefox5, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Merkey likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is the plan I'm going with. I have 4 replacements in the garage right now and will hopefully start doing replacements the second weekend of March. They're cheap ones, so I don't know how long they'll last. Considering they were only about $120 each, it's worth experimenting with. All I have to do is cut the pipe right behind the second cat. It replaces the cat section and will 'slip-fit' onto the cut pipe. Then either weld it or clamp it. I'd probably fit it all together on the car, clamp it and then remove the whole pipe for welding. Then add the OEM cats to my salvage yard collection to go on ebay.

m.wynn, SuperDave and edthefox5 like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is shocking news!:eek:

these burglars better be careful that a car doesn't fall on them while they're at theft:whistle:

5. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I ran the 2009 Prius for about 1500 miles with just a temp pipe welded in place (no 02 sensor) while I waited for a cat converter from ebay. For the 1500 miles I had a check engine light because of missing 02 sensor. The car ran fine, averaged about 47mph in the city, and 42 on the interstate going 78 mph. I just hooked in $113 cat converter from Ebay, it is the Arctic Exhaust (From Canada)

I ended up cutting my temp pipe and bolting in the back end, and using the bolts to connect the front.
    So far so good. I replaced the 02 sensor with a Denso sensor from Amazon.
    Cleared the check engine light, and it has been off so far.

All in all I might try this with my daughters 2006 prius, before her good cat gets ripped off. Total cost for the sensor, cat, clamps and some piping was about $160. Heck if I sell my own cat, I could be up a few hundred and not have to worry about this cheap converter being ripped off.

I will post again in about a month with an update on how the Arctic Exhaust is performing.
    -andy

m.wynn likes this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is worth mentioning that some CARB states do not allow aftermarket Cats, so this is not a viable plan for CA, NY or ME.

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    completely viable 11 months of the year

m.wynn likes this.
  8. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update.
    I did get a P0138 code after about 50 miles. Reset it, and it came back on right away.
    I just took a look at the sensor, it seemed a bit dirty, but not oily. The senso is a Denso (I have had good luck in the past with them in Honda's). It could be the sensor, it could be the front Air/Flow sensor (from what I have read from other people have P0138), but I think the timing is a bit to coincidental. I will do more digging on th 02 sensor and some testing.

The car drives fine, still averaging about 47 mpg, not bad with 243K miles.

bisco likes this.
  10. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update 4/2/2020.
    I added a 1.5" O2 Sensor extender M18 X 1.5, thinking that maybe if I back it out of the direct path of this less then perfect catalytic converter, the sensor might work better. For the first 100 miles the I was still getting the P0138 code, then about 200 miles ago it stopped and the light has stayed off. Not sure what exactly happened but the everything is working as it should and I'm averaging about 50mpg.

Hopefully this will stay working.
    -andy

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  11. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update 4/13/2020
    One more issue, was getting P0138, p0139 and p0606 codes.
    After some research I had a feeling something was not right with my 02 sensor, so I got another Denso but with the plug, I can't believe how easy it was to pull up the passenger floor matt and get access to the plug. With the new 02 Sensor, all codes have gone away. Only have a few hundred miles on it so far, but the codes are gone.
    -andy

12. MPG Fighter

MPG Fighter New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Andy,
    do you have a part number or link to where you bought the Denso "with the plug"?
    Having to deal with stolen cat on my Prius.. :(((
    Tom.

13. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Tom, this is the 02 Sensor that worked for me: Denso 234-4623 Oxygen Sensor

amazon.com / gp/product/B000C5WCUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ended up buying a new gasket: Genuine Toyota 17451-21060 Exhaust Pipe Gasket

14. Toyotom49

Toyotom49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Andy, I'll buy your original cat if/when you're serious about selling it.

15. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the good news is that my replacement converter and new 02 sensor is working great, no check engine lights, car runs perfect.
    The bad news is that my daughter who lives in Milwaukee (300 miles away), just had her cat stolen two nights ago. I should have done the pre-emptive replacement. I had a muffler shop weld on a straight pipe, and I will be doing the same procedure when she brings up the car in a few weeks.... Ug.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. DaisyD

DaisyD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Andy, may I ask how your aftermarket Cats have being doing? Was there any attempts from thieves trying to steal it again? Did you do anything to protect it?

I just had mine replaced with an aftermarket and had it welded instead of using the clamps. I’m concerned if thieves know the difference between OEM and Aftermarket.

17. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not had my aftermarket stolen, but I don't live in an area where the theft is a problem. I will be replacing my daughters converter this weekend, and the prius will go back to Milwaukee where the thefts are common. I think (hope), the thieves know what the original cat looks like. I'm tempted to make a small sticker or sign or something to put on the window saying "OEM Cat stolen, cheap aftermarket installed". I agree that I want something to help the criminals to understand the cat has no value and not worth the risk or effort.

18. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I think everyone in CA and NY would love if everyone outside the state did this, it would cut down on some of the issue, but it would make people traveling outside of California more of a target.

19. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If he wanted to be a good samaritan he could sell his OEM Cat to someone that had their stolen but didn't have insurance coverage to replace it. The Law in CA says it needs to be OEM, but shops can't sell or install Used Cats, but the grey area would be a self install. This was to deter theft but that boat sailed already..