1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking outside the box

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Jun 23, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/26167.html
    A Comprehensive-Universal--American Plan
    by Lee Culpepper

Facing despair, too many Americans have grown cynical of the quagmire of partisan politics inside the Beltway. With the endless arguments over illegal immigration, prison capacity, stem cell research, abortion, healthcare, unemployment, public education, and much more, surly every conscientious American yearns for solutions. To this point, our quibbling politicians continue to let us down, as they scurry shamelessly to serve their egocentric agendas versus honoring their oaths to serve the average American like you and me.

Moreover, the outrageous costs and abuses of the world’s finest healthcare system have finally been exposed, thanks to the American symbol of courage -- Michael Moore -- and his riveting documentary Sicko (which regrettably I have not seen). Regardless, with our advancement in medical science along with our laws to protect abortion, impeding the progress of stem-cell research no longer makes sense.

Our politicians simply need to remove the tolls and barriers that currently impede our implementing what I’ve entitled The Comprehensive-Universal-Modern-American Solution. My bipartisan plan has something for all of us.

First, we begin by recruiting illegal immigrants willing to harvest some of their body parts for medical research. Unlike the communist approach, this will be strictly voluntary. The one exception to voluntary participation would be for our violent criminals, of course.

The legalization of this revolutionary industry would surly strike a surge in America’s Gross Domestic Product. The distribution channel would create a plethora of new jobs. It would also improve the already world’s-finest-healthcare system -- but more importantly -- it would drive down healthcare prices as participation increased; it’s basic economics: supply and demand. Another positive outcome would be that the struggling hospitals along our borders, which provide much of the free healthcare to illegal immigrants, would probably benefit the most financially. They would quickly become the wholesale suppliers of this new industry. It’s exactly the shot in the arm these hospitals need.

No American would want to send home an illegal immigrant who is willing to donate a healthy kidney to an American in need. Such a sacrifice epitomizes patriotism.

My plan is not restricted to illegal immigrants by any means. As the industry grows, the economic incentive to market newborn organs just might spur welfare, middle-class, and upper-class women alike not to consider abortions. Sure an operation is a lot for a little tike to endure, but the hardship of such a surgery would be much less traumatic on the infant than any abortion would be. And at $250,000 for a kidney, that’s a lot of cash for anyone to pass up. With the right financial incentive, unwanted pregnancies would quickly become an oxymoron.

Our education system would blossom, too. Getting Grandma to part with a lung would surly provide ample profit to send Junior to private school. Eventually, much less money would be spent on public schools because no one would be attending them.

The benefits would never stop either. With all the spare parts that would eventually be lying around, embryonic-stem-cell research would become a thing of the past.

To resolve prison overcrowding, we could easily create more space by harvesting the vital organs from inmates on death row. Talk about a common sense approach.

For the illegal immigrants who commit additional crimes once they’re here, we could finance their deportations by allowing them to choose the body part they want to donate to a needy American. It’s a win-win situation.For the illegal immigrants who commit additional crimes once they’re here, we could finance their deportations by allowing them to choose the body part they want to donate to a needy American. It’s a win-win situation.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jun 23 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]466906[/snapback]</div>
    Do you know someone on the transplant list?

I'm not sure I agree with the donating an infants organs issue though. How do you explain to your now older child that you sold his/her kidney?

I've always thought people should be able to sell their organs. If I was in financial ruin I'd love to off load a kidney to get myself off the streets or off some stripper pole.

As far as overcrowded jails? PUT THEIR ASSES TO WORK. Have them run a organic farm or do something BENEFICIAL to society instead of sitting in jail, working out 24/7 and comparing ways to commit crimes.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think it would be more effective if the republican author learned to spell surely.

Bad spelling makes me surly.

Surely no one believes that creating a glut of transplant organs will solve all of the problems with our current healthcare system.

BTW did anyone hear Michael Moore on NPR today? He got two out of three right on the subject of ettiquette. And he shared how a guy got his insurance company to finally approve surgery for his daughter's deafness just by writing a letter and mentioning Michael Moore's name.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 23 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]466922[/snapback]</div>
    And stop calling me Shirley. :p

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How about requiring that aspirants for political office donate whatever organs they have an excess of? (One kidney, one lung, one eye, and for men, one testicle.)

7. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 23 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]467034[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget hearts and, in most cases, brains (albeit brain tranplants are aways away yet), but I definitely agree that since politicians have a demonstrated excess of these organs (they've never used them) they should not be wasted but given to people who will use them.

MB

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 23 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]467166[/snapback]</div>
    So here I was offering a realistic suggestion, and you just want to kill anyone who wants to run for office... On the other hand, maybe you do have a point: If people have to be completely dismembered as a prerequisite for running for office, then nobody would run, and the world would be a better place. Okay, I'm with you...

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That would never work. Republicans don't have hearts, Democrats don't have testicles, and neither one has brains.

I admit they all have great lungs, though.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jun 24 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]467251[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent analogy. Truer Words...