1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinnking about getting a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by momfortheenvironment, Mar 9, 2006.

1. momfortheenvironment

Hi all, I'm a mom and feel I need to do something for the environment and help reduce our dependance on oil. So I'm researching the prius. So far I like a lot of what I'm reading and hearing but would love input from drivers. Its clear that driving behavior helps your mpg. My two biggest concerns since I'm in NH is how does it handle in the snow and how does it rate for crash tests. I have a child and survived an awful crash years ago in a non toyota and still pay for it daily with physical pain so its hard to forget. My current car uses way to much gas and I almost have it paid. Went to look tonight, couldn't find keys for the one on the lot. I'm in a situation where I can wait. Have most people found it reliable so far, what kind of fuel does it use? I love the enthusiasm for this car that I'm reading so please share what you will!

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I can't answer everything, as I have only had my car for a few weeks...but just read these Forums. These are great cars!

Go by any used car lot...no Priuses!

Ask any used car salesman - they never see them!

Ask your insurance company - no upcharge on insurance due to saftey issues.

Air bags are standard...but get the Vehicle Stability Control for sure (I think it is packages 5 and higher?)

The car is small, but feels a lot safer then the Honda Accord I used to own. The Accord felt like I was in a tin can, barely inches from the ground. The Prius seems quieter, and sits up slightly higher.

It does take some driving skill and patience to acheive the highest mileage marks you read about...but it is fun to do it.

I used to drive between 75-80 mph on the freeway (posted 98mph), and had the constant fear of getting a ticket. Now that I see the effects that has on MPG I stay in the slower lanes and go 65-68 (maybe 70+ on a downhill using no gas!). So I figure that is an added saftey "feature". You watch you consumption so closely, that you tend to driver slower and more consistently!

I have 2 small kids, and 2 carseats easily fit, with room to spare. There is plenty of room for gear too!

The kids love to watch the navigation screen...keeps them quiet for minutes at a time!

Hopes this helps a little...I am sure others can add much more

Goodluck!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It handles ok in the snow but as with most cars, a good set of winter tyres will greatly help. The traction control on the Prius is fairly aggressive to protect the electric motors. Also, get the safety package at minimum. It comes with extra side airbags and side curtain airbags, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and HIDs.

It sips on regular fuel :)

4. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In Europe, it got the highest scores in crash tests.

5. Peterrr

Peterrr New Member

6. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I con't speak to driving in the snow. I've had mine for 6 months and we had no snow this winter -- darn global warming... :)

But the car is awsome. I bought an 05 with package #6 that has 3 sets of airbags: front, side and curtain. The car is rated at 5 stars I believe. I have two small children and have no doubt we are safe. Also with this package you get bluetooth phone connectivity which enables true hands-free driving while on the phone. To me that is a safety feature as well.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Absolutely get a model with VSC!!!
    You MUST READ this if you are not sure about Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) . . . Toyota's name for Electronic Stability Control (ECS). [me personally, I like Toyota's name better . . . you are stabilizing the vehicle, not the electronics. :huh: ]

October 28, 2004 news release from The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety regarding Electronic Stability Control.

ARLINGTON, VA —About half of the 28,000 fatal passenger vehicle crashes that occur each year involve a single vehicle. Equipping cars and SUVs with electronic stability control (ESC) can reduce the risk of involvement in these crashes by more than 50 percent.

http://www.iihs.org/news/2004/iihs_news_102804.pdf

8. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    momfortheenvironment

First, note that half the responses to your questions came from owners outside the US; the Prius is a worldwide phenomenon, which is more than be said for most Detroit Iron.

Next, it's a real kick to drive. I averaged 47 MPG on the new 05 Prius loaner I drove for four months and I'm at 49+ MPG with my 06 over the same commute. At 0 to 60 in 10 seconds it has plenty of power to get you moving when needed. I feel safer in my Prius than in the Acura MDX I traded in (that delivered 16 MPG on premium fuel). It's a feature rich car that will give you years of driving PLEASURE.

On the down side, while it's super quiet at moderate speeds, it's kind of noisey at highway speeds; if the noise really bothers you, new tires will help a lot. I read that you get worse mileage during the winter months, especially if you make a lot of short trips, but it will still be a HUGE improvement over what you're driving now (what are you driving now?).

Finally, try to rent a Prius for a while before you decide. Most Toyota dealers have one in their TRAC rental car fleet and I understand some of the major rental car campanies have added Prius' to their fleets as well.

When you come back to PriusChat, add your location to your profile and your present car to your signature to help others respond to your questions.

Sounds like you're hooked; welcome aboard!

9. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another safety feature that the dealer told me about is that the engine is mounted on hinges at the front. In the event of a front crash, the engine tilts/twists backwards (towards the drivers compartment) in a effort to drop the engine below the car thereby keeping the engine from being forced back into our legs. In effect you "drive over" the engine. My wife really liked that feature. I saw it "demonstrated" on a '05 Camry. The salesman put it in some gear (car off), then openned the hood, and w/ is shins....pushed back hard against the front bumper. You could see the engine start to twist backwards. It was kind of interesting.

10. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Everyone's discussed everything else...

It handles snow and ice superbly. Do as you should, get a set of snow tires with the mountain and snowflake on the sidewall, NOT all season tires.

I live in central Maine and we've encountered all conditions with the Prius in the past year, mud, ice, dry snow, wet snow, slush, loose gravel, are there that any I missed?

If you know how to drive, not claim to know how to drive, but actually know, it'll respond superbly.

Some comparisons:

'96 Saturn SW2 is the pits on snow and ice, way too light front end. '98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 is our go anywhere vehicle and has ground clearance enough to go when the Prius can't. The Prius is our 2wd that performs like a 4wd on crud. It's easily as good as the Tacoma in garbage conditions. If it had better ground clearance I'd be really interested in seeing what it'd do in deep snow. OK, now having said that, there's no way I'd go through a mudhole in East Overshoe with the Prius. Again, it's great on lousy surfaces, but has a ground clearance problem, whether it's a mudhole or snow depth, that'll still be a clearance problem.

I agree on the VSC, get it, it's amazing. When you need it, you need it, when you don't you'll forget it's there. If you have good throttle control for conditions, TC will be largely unneccessary, but again, when it's needed it's needed; back off on the throttle to disengage TC (don't dawdle) and it'll keep chugging along. It's truly an amazing car, VSC makes it almost magical.

I'm going to write one more time, get good tires for it. The dealer may tell you you don't need them; tune him out, he knows nothing if he tells you that. Sure the car is good, but get good dedicated snow tires. You won't be sorry. Or, you can use chains and stay below 25 mph. Get the tires and cheap steel wheels for winter use, forget chains except for emergency use.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I agree. I rented one from Enterprise for 2 weeks to see how it would feel to drive one on my commute, plus taking my parents into the mountains. This is important as you'll be able to discover what it's like during a long test drive (with no sales person with you). There are owners that suddenly discover that they are in pain from the seats in a short while.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As good as it does on ECO.. forget about ECO as being your reason for buying.... it has every other reason in the book to buy it!..

It may quite well be the coolest, cutest, most advanced, best handling and most comfortable and verstatile car you have ever owned!

ECO is merely iceing on the cake!

13. momfortheenvironment

Thank you for the wonderful feedback , I live in NH and I drive Passat.
    The comment about driving for a long stretch is a great idea cause I have back trouble, but I wouldn't rule it out, cause there are so many things you can buy and put in a seat. Thanks for the comments about the traction. Yea I bet I would drive slower