1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Third fill up and getting 60 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 2010_Prius_Owner, Jun 24, 2009.

1. 2010_Prius_Owner

2010_Prius_Owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am on my third fill up, have about 140 miles driven on this tank of gas and I have averaged 60.2 mpg so far. Mostly town and country road driving.

I stopped thinking about using the break pedal to charge the battery. Instead I work on keeping my vehicle using that energy to keep moving, seems like the pay back is better and the car seems to do a fine job of keeping the battery charged on its own by just rolling.

I am not gonzo on the hyper-mileing. I stay mindful of others behind me and use pulsing the gas pedal to get up to speed up hills. I have changed a couple ways I drive home, I avoid going down the hill to the next block to have to drive back up the hill on my street when I can turn one street earlier and stay on top the hill/ridge and enter my street another way with no hill. Avoiding the gas robbing steep up hill roads when possible really helps.

I have not, nor ever will, get out and push the car as I heard some fanatics have done. I am not Fred Flintstone. :) I am just driving sensibly, no jack rabbit starts, make use of kinetic energy/enertia, don't press the gas when not needed, try to build speed before the hill and pulse. Don't rush/speed to the next redlight. 60mpg isn't hard to do.

The expressway is a mpg killer and I will have to work on strategies to improve there. Fortunatelly I don't need to use them, but I know if I have a 100 mile trip on the Turn Pike, I will still be getting 48 to 50 mpg. Not bad at all.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice. I got 49.5 on my first tank. Waiting to see how much better it gets for me. Good job with the 60...

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, my fuel economy is about 30% better than my wife's in our Prius, and she is not an aggressive driver, and I am not Wayne Gerdes. As far as I can tell, the only differences between us is that I glide a lot more, and she brakes a lot more. Braking over 20 metres from 35 mph for every red light wastes a *lot* of energy, regen or no.

In a 2010, I think you should focus on safe driving and conservation of kinetic energy; and as a distant third, slow braking when possible. The car will take care of everything else.

4. 2010_Prius_Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. 2010_Prius_Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you doing a lot of highway driving?

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One for the "prius moments"...
    It's nice to pull in to the grocery store for a quick errand,
    spot a parked prius, and pull in next to it just for the usual
    yucks. Leave the system powered up and do the manual-lock thing,
    idly thinking that the other owner might peer in through my window
    at my nice brightly lit display with that "hmm, how are *they*
    doing" curiosity if they come back out before I do. Where they'd
    see it showing 63.8 MPG at 350-something miles.
    In my '04.
    Which is going to get loaded heavy tomorrow for an event and probably
    get nowhere near that on the next tank...
    _H*

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That wouldn't make much of a difference. Speed is far from the only factor.

Notice your photo. The AVE MPH is 19. Now look at mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice job on your tank.

9. PriusCrazy

PriusCrazy Blizzard Pearl for Me

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks guys. I hope you will continue to give us lessons. I'm averaging around 52.4 and on my first tank (~400 miles) but feel it could be higher if I only knew how to drive. :unsure:

10. 2010_Prius_Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice John. Any tips are always welcome. I am doing more town, city driving , lots of red lights and 25/35 mph roads. Fastest I get it up to on the country roads is 47mph. I doubt my average speed would have been different if I was driving my Ford Explorer V6, but my mpg would have been 14. I'll admit when I drove out to Harrisburg from Philly on the PA Turn Pike, set Cruise control on 65 I only got 48-49mpg. Possibly if I kept it in manual I could have done better. 55.8 at 55 is real good. Thanks for sharing. Appreciated very much! Encouraging and something to strive for. Thanks everyone, lets see how good we can do. Keep posting results and comments on driving style.

11. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I filled up for my second time I got 52.9mpg the car said i got 55mpg so it seems it's a little off. I do the miliage divided by gallions to get my 52.9. so i hope i still improve more. I wonder how long it takes to break the car in? Like at what point it gets the best millage it can, I'm thining somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 miles.

12. WPWoodJr

WPWoodJr New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! I am getting about 42-44mpg in my Ford Fusion Hybrid. The Prius has great mileage.

13. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yea i have got over 52 on my last two fill ups

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nice tank John but that only means you have favorable traffic. on the weekdays, there is not a freeway within 100 miles that ANYONE could average 50 anything mph.

i just filled my tank, average speed was like 29 mph and that is good considering i did most of my driving on roads that were 40 mph... but i have road construction blocking my neighborhood so its always a minimum 2-10 minute wait just to get to my front door.