1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Third Party GPS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by KProspero, Dec 23, 2006.

1. KProspero

KProspero New Member

I have a 2006 Package 3 Prius.

One deliberate downside, no GPS -- I have a portable unit, and was unwilling to spend a couple of thou for the integrated unit.

Here's the problem -- my portable unit, an old Garmin is mounted on a beanbag, which rests on the dashboard. On my other car -- a Camry, the 'outline' of the passenger side airbag is included, so I know where to avoid placing the unit. Normally it's the center of the dash.

Obviously, I don't want to place the unit over the driver-side airbag. In an accident, having the GPS propelled into the forehead of my passenger with tremendous force would kinda negate the use of the airbag (grin).

With the Prius, the center of the dash is not an option because of the in-board monitor. So, here's the question.

1. Anyone have any brilliant ideas about where to place a Garmin Beanbag GPS safely in a Prius.
    2. In no. What third party units have people had success with (if possible, I'd want to use the unit for multiple cars.
    3. Alternatively, is there any third party product which integrates with the existing Screen I have in the car, hopefully that doesn't cost a fortune.

2. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't say which Garmin GPS you have, but if it has a suction cup mount, why not buy a self-adhesive disc and attach your GPS to it?

Do a search of this forum and you'll find several examples of how others have attached a GPS. E.g., here's my StreetPilot i5 in the Prius:

[​IMG]

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KProspero @ Dec 23 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]366009[/snapback]</div>
    Why, my Garmin 2610 sits on top of the MFD with no problem. I do have a non-skid surface on the bottom of the bean bag. If you want to try the non-skid stuff IM me and I'll send you some.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KProspero @ Dec 23 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]366009[/snapback]</div>
    In the Prius you can still see the outline of the airbag cover. It's seamless, unlike the Camry but you can still see an outline if you look carefully :)

I don't have a Garmin unit. My GPS is a TomTom ONE. I have it attached to my windshield. I prefer having it on the dash but ProClips seem to be the only option and is a tad pricey.

3. Yes there is such a unit. It's the Garmin Blackbox. Someone here has installed that into their Prius and it comes with a remote control. You can't use the touchscreen.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a Garmin with the beanbag. I have it on top of the dash, slightly to the left of directly in front of me, just allowing me to see the speedometer and the left turn indicator.

I thought the driver's side air bags were in the steering wheel and the post, well away from the top of the dashboard. ??? I see nothing that looks like it could possibly be an airbag on top of the dashboard. I have a 2004. The word "airbag" is on the steering wheel and on the post.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Garmin C320 sits in the rear cupholder on top of the center armrest.